frustrated and confused

chevy454

ok guys i started to go forward with being a trucker but i been hearing mixed opinions here are some questions for the experienced guys...
1. is it true that the first couple years i will only make about 25-30k no matter what the recruiters say?

2. Schneider is only hiring experienced drivers?

3. who has the best school for driving?

i talked to a Schneider recruiter a while back and she told me i will make about 50k because i will start in a tanker because i live close to the tanker station in baton rouge,Louisiana

Well, first off, Recruiters will tell you anything you want to here to get you signed on. However, Schnieder, who I've never drove for, sounds like one of the only really large carriers thats worth anything, so I guess there ok. As for the tanker devision, if you live close to a tanker facility of theres, maybe theres some truth in it. However, I know for a fact that to get 50K, you will have to stay out a long long time, and watch all your pennies very closely.

That's one thing that nobody seems to realize or aknowledge, even though you might make 50K, you'll spend most of it, out on the road in truckstops for food, movies, c.b's, stuff like that. So, is it possible to make 50k your first year, mmmmmm...doubt it, but hey, maybe, is it a strong possability, NO.

Truth be told, if your just getting into the buisness. Take what you get. Work your tail off for a solid year with what ever company you go with, and then, you can go to so many places if ya choose.

Last word of wisdom from a True Die Hard Dallas Fan...don't believe the grass is greener on the other side. A truck is a truck. What's important are the miles. Weather your truck is orange...blue, green, yellow, doesn't matter. The milage rate, the miles per week, and how you and your dispatcher get a long are what really matters.

IF you need any help, I'm always available. You can call me anytime, I'll give ya my number, just send me a private message if ya want it.

Duster
GO COWBOYS

how good of a company is swift to start off with?

I wouldn't recommend that company to anybody. I am sure that "some" of their trainers are very good drivers, but the majority of trainers that I have seen out on the road representing this company barely seemed to have a grasp on driving a truck themselves, the last thing they needed to be doing was training someone else.

The lack of training shows up out on the road as well because SWIFT has some of the most dangerous drivers I have seen out on the road. They are not all bad drivers, but when you see more bad than good on a day to day basis, you have to wonder..

to it seems like Schneider is the best company to start off with because their terminal is the closest and i posted that on another forum and i was told thats a big plus for me

As far as Swift goes...well, I will say that there drivers seem a little behind the power curve, but back in Oct. 03 when I rolled my truck with JCT at 2 am in MO, the only truck that stopped to help and make sure I wasn't dead was a Swift driver, so I kind of said that day that I'd give them a break

ok guys i started to go forward with being a trucker but i been hearing mixed opinions here are some questions for the experienced guys...
1. is it true that the first couple years i will only make about 25-30k no matter what the recruiters say?

i talked to a Schneider recruiter a while back and she told me i will make about 50k because i will start in a tanker because i live close to the tanker station in baton rouge,Louisiana
I don't know who told you Schneider only hires exp drivers,i'm pretty sure they have a training program.Yes it is true ,you'll only make 25 to 30 thousand a year for new drivers.Well shoot dispatchers can't keep drivers running.But the solution to that is quit hiring so many drivers.I could never figure that out,i'd ask my dispatcher how come I can't get the miles,they say freight is slow.I say well quit hiring so many drivers then.They never have an answer for that.Don't listen to recruiters they like to exaggerate. All they do is sit behind a computer and make calls all day.They get paid if they recruit somebody.But they don't know how much a driver will be making or anything else.They don't drive so like politics,recruiters will say what you wanna hear.

I never understood how recruiters made themselves out to be such experts on the driving details of a company when the've never even driven a truck, let a lone for that company. I swear, companies hire these people, give them a brochure. and say, ok, go get drivers. It blows my mind. I feel bad for the guys just getting into this industry. It's like there set up to fail from the start. Thank goodness I was braught into this from a very young age, and shown the ropes from people who knew what the hell they were talking about

Chevy
First off Welcome to a good community of both Drivers and everyday common folk. Im sure you'll make friends among these people!

Q:1. is it true that the first couple years i will only make about 25-30k no matter what the recruiters say?
A: This will vary from company to company. But the most I've seen a new driver with ZERO exp start in at was 40K. That DID include bonuses.

Q:2. Schneider is only hiring experienced drivers?
A: No, Schneider National over here in Seville,OH also hires Trainees.
They will hire a driver with ZERO exp and train them for im pretty sure 4 weeks or more before they cut them loose with a TEAM TRAINER.
Then im almost sure that they have to be trainer assisted for another 4 - 6 Weeks.

Q:3. who has the best school for driving?
A: These drivers here along with myself will agree that to train a NON Driver that has Never been around trucks of this kind should at least be TRAINED hands on for at least a min of 2 MONTHS, then along side a trainer for another 4 - 6 weeks.

Dont take that to heart and dont take that personal - please! The reason we all like to hear of a SCHOOL taking time with drivers is simple.
SAFETY, SAFETY, SAFETY!

Not everyone is cut out to just jump behind the wheel of 18 wheels of disaster that CAN happen at ANY time! And I say that with a chill in my spine!

SWIFT has been known to cut their drivers loose and hit the road in as short of time as 4 weeks. And sometimes the ending results are DEVASTATING to both the driver of the truck and a some other family!

Here is video that will show you just what I mean, and im talking about.
I hope you didnt take this message personal, but we all DO CARE on how a new driver is trained. MOST of them are NOT trained properly!

And below is the results of just such case!

Donner's Pass 2008

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tsl5Uf-OuGs"]YouTube - Rollover truck Crash on Donner Pass[/ame]

This WAS fatal and and both Team drivers died.
My heart goes out to the family's of both drivers.

This also shows JUST how FAST things can GO WRONG, and end up FATAL. We'll NEVER know what really happened.

This COMPANY needs LOOKED into :paddle:

All the best,
OverTime
Welcome to the Front Line Drivers - United CDL . org

Holy SH*T....WOW...ya know, seeing that...really puts it into perspective...Not much to say...think the video said it all. And it solidifies Overtime's Point. Students today, arent getting the training they need. Maybe things should go back to the way they were...when in order to get into this life, you had to be braught in by an old hand. Thats how I did. and I'm not saying I'm a perfect driver, lord...don't accuse me of that, cuz I'm far from it. But I sure as hell would have not been flying down that hill that fast. I've been over Donners many many times, as well as my favorite Ashland Pass...thats a doozy...Anyway, hope this guy got his answer, and hopefully that video scares some sense into him if it wasn't allready there in the first place

On a bright note, the thumb nail at the bottom that says " Swift truck accident" is rather funny with the song in the backround. Tragic, but funny.

This also shows JUST how FAST things can GO WRONG, and end up FATAL. We'll NEVER know what really happened.

If I was a judge, I'd rule it as a murder/suicide. He murdered his co-driver.
Yes, it could have been a mechanical failure in the brakes, but failures of this type are rare, morons are common.

I can guess what happened. I saw no smoke, and the brake lights flash just before the killer rolled it. And he came really close to killing (read: murdering) the driver that recorded this too.

How many have seen these supertruckers pull crap like this, but nothing happens to them? They might get away with it 99 out of 100 times, but that 100'th time is the one that counts.

Idiots like this don't realize that death is just around the corner, if they drive like bats out of hell. But it does make them look more "manly", I guess. Dont want to be called slowpokes. We can't have that you know. Morons.

Idiots like this don't realize that death is just around the corner, if they drive like bats out of hell. But it does make them look more "manly", I guess. Dont want to be called slowpokes. We can't have that you know. Morons.

TEN - FOUR, BuddyRo.......
Enough Said....

-Matt

to it seems like Schneider is the best company to start off with because their terminal is the closest and i posted that on another forum and i was told thats a big plus for me

I started with SNC in '96. For all the Sh*t I took for driving for them after the fact, they (Green Bay school location) took teaching seriously. I assume it's like anything though, having the right mindset going in helps too, and they can't give you that.

I'm not saying they tried to scare people, but they did give me a healthy fear/awareness of things I should be aware of out here. The training, like any school, can only give you a foundation to on the job training/learning. As for teaching the basics, they were very good.

Once you do your time with a starter company, with a good history and driving record, you can just about go anywhere you want. For the last 9 years, I've had jobs that had me home during the week, to now, where I'm home every weekend and still making good money. I think it all comes back to maturity and mindset.

Sorry if I went on a tangent. I hope this helps someone. lol.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom