Former owner of Decker Truck Lines dies at 88

Maria

Diet Coke
Staff member
FORT DODGE, Iowa — The former owner of Decker Truck Line, Dale D. Decker, died Feb. 18 at the age of 88, the company has announced.

He is survived by his wife Donna and son Don Decker, the current owner of Decker Truck Lines. He also leaves behind five grandchildren and ten great-grandchildren.

Decker spent well over 50 years building up the business his brother founded with a single Model B Ford truck in 1931 in the heart of the Great Depression.

Decker served in the U.S. Marine Corps, where he earned two Purple Hearts. Afterward he rejoined his brother Loren in the family trucking business where he participated in all phases of the company's activities.

Dale Decker retired as owner of Decker Truck Line in 1993 when his son acquired sole ownership of the company.

Decker was born on April 10, 1923, in Fort Dodge. He graduated from Fort Dodge Senior High and married Donnabelle Simonson on May 24, 1941. He was preceded in death by his parents John and Lillian (Newsum) Decker, brothers Loren and Clayton Decker, sister Ruth Peterson and son Duane Decker.

Founded in 1931, Decker Truck Line, Inc. is a diversified carrier, transporting flatbed, refrigerated and dry van freight to the 48 contiguous states and seven Canadian provinces.

source

they used to have a great reputation when he was running it, then like a lot of times, the kids will take over full of big ideas and end up trashing then losing everything their father built for them. Who owns it now? Western I think, so they gpt swept up by one of these mega companies put together by suits.

they used to have a great reputation when he was running it, then like a lot of times, the kids will take over full of big ideas and end up trashing ...

That's what happened to Walmart. Sam Walton died, and his kids took over and turned the chain into a shining example of corporate greed. Now it's nick-named "China Mart", which is a far cry from Sam Walton's policy of having the "Made In USA" label on as many of his products as possible.

they used to have a great reputation when he was running it, then like a lot of times, the kids will take over full of big ideas and end up trashing then losing everything their father built for them. Who owns it now? Western I think, so they gpt swept up by one of these mega companies put together by suits.

Western Express bought Smithway (SMX) a while back. Decker picked up the pieces of Umthun out of Eagle Grove, Iowa after they shut down. SMX and Decker were/are based out of Fort Dodge, Iowa. As far as I know, Decker is still owned by the same people.

And I agree 100% about the kids taking over the business. Thats been the demise of many good companies over the years.

Western Express bought Smithway (SMX) a while back. Decker picked up the pieces of Umthun out of Eagle Grove, Iowa after they shut down. SMX and Decker were/are based out of Fort Dodge, Iowa. As far as I know, Decker is still owned by the same people.

And I agree 100% about the kids taking over the business. Thats been the demise of many good companies over the years.

I delivered to Deckers yard in FT Dodge, used to be another company up there, Greenfield, owned by Grojean, same guy owned a bunch of companies, think he still owns hirchsbeck or however you spell it. I thought Decker got bought out because I was looking at flatbeds for sale and western had a bunch of decker flats for sale.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom