FMCSA Will Redefine Personal Conveyance

Personal conveyance isn't allowed once your clock runs out.

Split from @Maria's news thread:
CVSA workshop: English language enforcement, medical cards | The Truckers Forum

An important little detail locked at the bottom of the aricle:

I'll be watching what they come up with on this. I think it's being read way too narrowly by companies and many LEO at the moment, but is being abused by independents at the same time. It was written fairly ambiguously and leaves too much room on both ends of the equation.

Yeah, there was some nut on Truck.net (back when that was 'the' trucking forum,) who argued that he could deadhead cross-country every trip because he wasn't hauling a load. As one would imagine, reasoning wasn't real effective with this clown, it was typical back-row logic on his end.

Just for the record, the only mention of the use of a commercial vehicle for personal reasons in the FMCSRs is the answer to question 26 in the guidance for 395.8, Drivers Record of Duty Status.

While its useful that they clarify this provision (and maybe actually mention it in the regulation,) considering the current penchant of the administrator to lock us up in a little box by regulation I really am not looking forward to finding out what they have in store for us.

The bad news is that they plan to limit the personal conveyance to 10 miles.

Don’t Buy an ELD Without Knowing These 7 Requirements
From yer link

• GPS precision must be set at a 10 mile radius while a vehicle is being used for personal conveyance, allowing less precise tracking when a truck is being used on personal time
I don't think that limits you to ten miles or a ten mile radius. Just less precise tracking.

It's in the driver harassment section.
Probably so the dispatchers can't make fun of drivers for bobtailing to the strip clubs or something.

From yer link

• GPS precision must be set at a 10 mile radius while a vehicle is being used for personal conveyance, allowing less precise tracking when a truck is being used on personal time
I don't think that limits you to ten miles or a ten mile radius. Just less precise tracking.

It's in the driver harassment section.
Probably so the dispatchers can't make fun of drivers for bobtailing to the strip clubs or something.

Depends on interpretation, but many of the readings I have found suggest it to be limited.

Depends on interpretation, but many of the readings I have found suggest it to be limited.
They'll probably put some kind of mileage limit on it.

And it'll be ridiculously short, knowing that worthless agency.

They should just do away with PC .

Any movement should go on line 3.... Period

Including a bowel movement if done during the 14 hr period.

I guess I wonder why you would want it totally done away with. It is something that is a valid option for someone who is just going to get a bite to eat after dropping a trailer at a customer or similar. Or going to a motel that would offer a better night's sleep that in a the sleeper and a driver could get up, get a hot shower, and a free continental breakfast and coffee. Much more refreshed than lying in a bunk and listening to trucks all around them idle all night.

I often wonder why some folks want to do away with stuff we have available. But then I have been wondering that for most of my life as I have watched government chip away at freedoms we took for granted a few decades ago as citizens. But there always seems to be a willing group of folks that encourage government to increase the nanny state.

Only thing I can figure, is that those so opposed to something like PC are that way because they cannot use it due to carrier limitations and so no one else should be able to use it either.

I could have easily used PC today. I dropped a trailer in Blair, NE and bobtailed home about 200 miles from there. I own the truck, and PC allows me to go home after dropping a trailer at the terminal. Read it for yourself. I just allowed the qualcomm to log it like usual. Who cares. I will be home more than enough time for HOS reset anyway. I use PC within reason, when it is prudent to do so. Not very often. But having it available is a nice thing. The only problem is that some folks just don't know how to do anything within reason and are always taking privileges to an extreme to the point where some nanny wants to do away with it for everyone.

Last edited:
I think I broke the law

What is the real answer, I had to use that after my 14 was done on E-logs. Pretty sure it is 14 and done. I had to get to a place to park for the night.

It makes sense that off duty is off duty whether you're using PC or not.
I think what I read before was probably pertaining to PC after being placed OOS for HOS but it's been too long ago for me to remember for sure.

I think I broke the law

What is the real answer, I had to use that after my 14 was done on E-logs. Pretty sure it is 14 and done. I had to get to a place to park for the night.

The real answer is you can use PC while you're off duty regardless of whether or not you have hours to legally drive on duty. To require available on duty time completely negates one of the main purposes (spelled out in the FMCSR) for allowed PC, which is transportation from en-route lodging to get something to eat.

It makes sense that off duty is off duty whether you're using PC or not.
I think what I read before was probably pertaining to PC after being placed OOS for HOS but it's been too long ago for me to remember for sure.
Yes. It is specifically spelled out that if you are placed OOS, you may not use your truck for PC. Period. Even if you haven't eaten in three days and your house is at the next exit. OOS is OOS.

I can already tell this is going to go in a direction I don't like. Government should not be allowed to control what I do with my vehicle on my personal time.

If my pickup is broke down, and I want to jump in the KW and drive it 300 miles to go visit family, nothing should be able to stop me from it. It's my time, and my vehicle. If I want to jump in my truck and drive it to a truck show, that is my personal time, and no law should be able to prevent me from doing so. If I want to use it to take a family vacation to the coast, leave me the hell alone and let me do it. It's nobody's business, and it's especially none of the Government's business.

And it has nothing to do with the type of vehicle this is. I could by a class 8 tractor and drive it anywhere I wanted (weight limits and truck restrictions permitting). Just because I use it to make a living when I am working doesn't mean I should be told what I can and can't do with it on my free time.

There are guys and gals who own 1 ton pickups and haul campers around. Many of these people are semi retired. They have DOT numbers on their pickups. So, when they decide to stop hauling RV's for a couple weeks and take a trip, are they going to be prevented from pulling their personal RV with this truck? After all, it is a commercial vehicle.

I can already tell this is going to go in a direction I don't like. Government should not be allowed to control what I do with my vehicle on my personal time.

If my pickup is broke down, and I want to jump in the KW and drive it 300 miles to go visit family, nothing should be able to stop me from it. It's my time, and my vehicle. If I want to jump in my truck and drive it to a truck show, that is my personal time, and no law should be able to prevent me from doing so. If I want to use it to take a family vacation to the coast, leave me the hell alone and let me do it. It's nobody's business, and it's especially none of the Government's business.

And it has nothing to do with the type of vehicle this is. I could by a class 8 tractor and drive it anywhere I wanted (weight limits and truck restrictions permitting). Just because I use it to make a living when I am working doesn't mean I should be told what I can and can't do with it on my free time.

There are guys and gals who own 1 ton pickups and haul campers around. Many of these people are semi retired. They have DOT numbers on their pickups. So, when they decide to stop hauling RV's for a couple weeks and take a trip, are they going to be prevented from pulling their personal RV with this truck? After all, it is a commercial vehicle.

Comrade! You show a lack of concern for the safety of your fellow citizens. Think of the children!

/sarc

Especially when they ram the ELD down the throat. With the 10 mile radius, I cannot even use my 1 ton truck to go to town to be worked on. If the pager goes off for fire and medical, I will have to do the log to respond.

Comrade! You show a lack of concern for the safety of your fellow citizens. Think of the children!

/sarc

LOL

I talk to people about buying trucks occasionally, and one of the things I mention to them when they are looking to put money together to buy a truck is to consider selling their vehicle. I don't recommend this to everyone, but for someone who is single, and plans on staying out on the road for extended periods, this is a potentially great way to move your assets into your business in order to prevent up front debt. Run the business well, with little or no debt, and you will be able to buy another vehicle not too far down the road (for cash of course, maintaining the idea of no debt)

Now, the person who does that, is likely screwed if the personal conveyance allowances get manhandled by the Government.

LOL

I talk to people about buying trucks occasionally, and one of the things I mention to them when they are looking to put money together to buy a truck is to consider selling their vehicle. I don't recommend this to everyone, but for someone who is single, and plans on staying out on the road for extended periods, this is a potentially great way to move your assets into your business in order to prevent up front debt. Run the business well, with little or no debt, and you will be able to buy another vehicle not too far down the road (for cash of course, maintaining the idea of no debt)

Now, the person who does that, is likely screwed if the personal conveyance allowances get manhandled by the Government.

The more common problem will be the company to whom said truck is leased to: they will have overly restrictive policies in place to avoid having any issues come audit time, and screw all the O/O's leased to them in the process. Especially since the lawyers/insurance companies are pushing so hard on CYA.

Including a bowel movement if done during the 14 hr period.

I guess I wonder why you would want it totally done away with. It is something that is a valid option for someone who is just going to get a bite to eat after dropping a trailer at a customer or similar. Or going to a motel that would offer a better night's sleep that in a the sleeper and a driver could get up, get a hot shower, and a free continental breakfast and coffee. Much more refreshed than lying in a bunk and listening to trucks all around them idle all night.

I often wonder why some folks want to do away with stuff we have available. But then I have been wondering that for most of my life as I have watched government chip away at freedoms we took for granted a few decades ago as citizens. But there always seems to be a willing group of folks that encourage government to increase the nanny state.

Only thing I can figure, is that those so opposed to something like PC are that way because they cannot use it due to carrier limitations and so no one else should be able to use it either.

I could have easily used PC today. I dropped a trailer in Blair, NE and bobtailed home about 200 miles from there. I own the truck, and PC allows me to go home after dropping a trailer at the terminal. Read it for yourself. I just allowed the qualcomm to log it like usual. Who cares. I will be home more than enough time for HOS reset anyway. I use PC within reason, when it is prudent to do so. Not very often. But having it available is a nice thing. The only problem is that some folks just don't know how to do anything within reason and are always taking privileges to an extreme to the point where some nanny wants to do away with it for everyone.

Sorry to break your stereotype ....

Own authority , home every night .....

I'm just sick of loop holes .....

PC is just code for I planned my trip poorly.

Sorry to break your stereotype ....

Own authority , home every night .....

I'm just sick of loop holes .....

PC is just code for I planned my trip poorly.

Oh BS!

PC is also code for "I'm waiting on my trailer and I'm going touristing!"

And "I'm stuck here till Monday, let's go find something to do."

Don't forget, "I'm taking a 34 and I want to do something besides sit in the truck/truckstop, and nothing is within walking distance."

Your logic is a prime example of the "They weren't coming for me." line of thinking. And that always works out so well for everyone.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread