FMCSA Makes Changes in CSA 2010

Mike

The Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration is making some changes in the CSA 2010 program it will roll out next month.

The agency announced yesterday that based on feedback from the industry and the enforcement community, it is going to address concerns about how the system evaluates carriers in the Cargo-Related safety category, which measures compliance with load securement procedures and hazardous materials requirements. It also said it will change the severity weighting in Cargo-Related category.

FMCSA acknowledged concerns that the Cargo-Related category over-represents certain industry segments and creates a potentially misleading safety alert warning. It said it will fix the problem by adjusting the severity weights.

The agency also is looking into the impact on different industry segments of a carrier's exposure in this category. Pending completion of that study, the agency will withhold carriers' performance percentiles and intervention status from the public. The data still will be available to the carrier and enforcement personnel.

full story

Flat-bedders catching a break? I hope so. Any relief is welcomed.

Flat-bedders catching a break? I hope so. Any relief is welcomed.

They will probably make load locks mandatory for you liquid luggers.

I was looking at the picture they used in the article, and in many places, securing your cargo in that manner will earn you a ticket. The straps are all over and against the "rub rail", as well as being tied to the rail. The way the regs are written, and according to trailer manufacturers, the rail is not rated for cargo securement, They should either be fastened under the deck, around posts that the rail is mounted to, or to the stake pockets.

image_thumbnailer.aspx

Let me get my ticket book out and write that one up.

Education as to proper securement methods is the obviously needed,

Seems to me.....The hooks on a strap are designed to meet the working-load criteria when it is in a straight pull, not at an angle if it is hooked under the frame/side beam. also by being hooked under the side beam, if any strap loosens it will become unattached.. same as the problem I see with the way that these straps are hooked to the rub rail...
just my .02 worth

Most newer trailers have tie downs you can place where ever you need them, so you can attach a chain or strap to them. Of course, they only work when the freight doesn't cover the slot on the deck that they slip into. Straps with chain and hook ends are all I ever buy, as you can attach them to any type of trailer properly.

I was just making the point that the illustration for the article showed improper load securement.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread