Female truckers hold fundraiser for breast cancer

Mike

OTTAWA — It was an unlikely sight Saturday, a convoy of 18-wheel trucks adorned with pink ribbons rolling down Ontario’s Hwy. 401.

But it was for a good cause.

The 40 female truckers in the rigs drove from Cornwall to Cardinal, Ont., and were part of Convoy For a Cure, a fundraiser for the Canadian Breast Cancer Foundation. The event last year raised $15,000. Organizers hoped to surpass that total this year.

“It was a success,” said Rachele Champagne, 33, a Gatineau, Que., resident who spearheaded the past two campaigns and is a trucker for Normandin Transit based in Napierville, Que.

She said the idea of female truckers raising money for breast cancer has also spawned other campaigns this year in Edmonton, Moncton, N.B., and even Dallas.

Full Story

I have some sort of niece-in-law (my son-in-law's sister-in-law, the blond) who helps sponsor an annual mammogram party. (I don't know if she still does as I don't haul my wife to it as she left this earth in 2018). But a lash-up here in Anchorage, Imaging Associates, helps sponsor it and, obviously does the imaging. At the waiting room there are cookies, pizza, wine, fruit, candy, etc. Lots of times the gals don't know one another but joint suffering makes them closer and they leave as friends.PaulaMamParty2.jpg

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread