New To Trucking Felonies?

Kevywats

Hi everyone, my name is Kevin and I am considering starting CDL class A school. I am 27 years old and 5 years ago I was convicted of robbery and aggravated assualt. I am on probation from it still and will be completing in a few months. (Before school would be over) also on my driving record I have one moving violation which was a few years ago of reckless driving. My buddy who has been driving for awhile now says I'll be able to get a job, he says alot of places he's been to just basically brought him in off Craigslist and let him go so these smaller companies won't care as much about felonies and what not. Just on here to see if that's true or am I wasting my time on trying to get my CDL and finding a good job? Thanks every body.

Having a felony will depend more on the hiring manager more than anyone or anything else.

Driving record will be decided by insurance. Even if they tell the hiring manager it's their choice, but not recommended.

Your best option is to wait 5-10 years for that crap to clear off your record, cause that reckless driving ticket is going to give you more of a problem than that felony will.

Hi everyone, my name is Kevin and I am considering starting CDL class A school. I am 27 years old and 5 years ago I was convicted of robbery and aggravated assualt. I am on probation from it still and will be completing in a few months. (Before school would be over) also on my driving record I have one moving violation which was a few years ago of reckless driving. My buddy who has been driving for awhile now says I'll be able to get a job, he says alot of places he's been to just basically brought him in off Craigslist and let him go so these smaller companies won't care as much about felonies and what not. Just on here to see if that's true or am I wasting my time on trying to get my CDL and finding a good job? Thanks every body.
Well, neither of them are, for lack of a better word, good, meaning the felony is a violent crime, looked as as worse than even drug trafficking. And the ticket is a 6 pointer, only thing worse would be killing someone with your car, or using it for a felony. I would wait 3 years, get your life in order, you'll still have plenty of years before the auto trucks take over.

i worked at 2 CDL schools in my state. we used to tell students that it's all depended on a case by case basis.

some companies have a lifetime ban on felonies. some places have a 3 to 10 year ban on felonies.

i'd say that if you get your CDL, you might want to try a company like Carolina Cargo for a job if many other places turn you down, once you get that CDL.

as it stands, yeah, you may be off probation soon, but that does not wash away your record, which that in of itself, is lifetime. you are really a high risk person.

sorry, it's the truth.

"Even if an employer has the right to ask about your criminal record, it may not be allowed to consider that history in making hiring decisions, "

they will just say, "we are taking applications at this time"

i ran into this situation when i was a garage manager. had a guy that had some sort of record (too many years to remember all) and that's what i had said to him, and tossed his application into the circular filing cabinet.

Don't worry Kevin, you're golden. Plenty of companies hire felons and some do right out of prison.
I know one driver that did 21 yrs. in prison and when released, he attended cdl school, then went right to work at graduation. You're biggest hurdle is the probation; once that's complete, there's a dozen companies that will hire you.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread