Fuel Economy Emissions and fuel economy

lasitter

I wonder if the people writing the regulations at the EPA ever considered that particulate emissions contribute to "mirror top" clouds that reflect some sunlight back into space, basically cooling the planet at a time when greenhouse gasses are supposedly overheating it. In a sense, some diesel emissions could be a good thing.

At the same time, some folks are saying that the particulate filter, Nox and Pee systems are costing us 2-3 mpg. Getting rid of this stuff could avoid the burning of hundreds of millions of gallons of diesel per year, with a significant reduction of CO2 (greenhouse gas) as a result. Another good thing.

What am I missing? Why is this so hard for the government to figure out?

There are smarter places in the economy to fight the smog wars. I think there would be a fantastic benefit from deleting some of the smog stuff and instead running full aero packages and wide base (super) singles.

Thoughts?

Soot particles settle out of the atmosphere fairly rapidly. Being heavier than the gas molecules that make up the atmosphere, they very don't magically float up to the cloud tops.

With a heavy set running between Anchorage and Fairbanks (360 mi.) here's a mileage number that will delight fuel companies. I'm guessing that the 1.2 mpg indicates that he's northbound on hill 321 of the George Parks Highway. One can expect a tad more than 3 mpg when turning those points with doubles.

DoublesMileage.jpg

(Brooks Armstrong photo)

Trucks are currently the most fuel efficient they have ever been. Your research is bogus. But the hippies that think everything needs to be electric are bogus too. Also driver health has improved from not being covered in soot at the end of the day and not breathing that shit 24/7. I don’t believe in global warming. I don’t think the killer bees are coming to get us. And the hole in the ozone layer isn’t going to require my kids to wear radiation suits like they taught in school.

Don’t believe everything that you Breath, it’s all bullshit and it’s all bad for you.

I can stand next to a new idling Freightliner all day and have a conversation like it's not there.

My '86 F250 pretty much chokes me out doing the same thing.

Trucks are currently the most fuel efficient they have ever been. Your research is bogus. But the hippies that think everything needs to be electric are bogus too. Also driver health has improved from not being covered in soot at the end of the day and not breathing that **** 24/7. I don’t believe in global warming. I don’t think the killer bees are coming to get us. And the hole in the ozone layer isn’t going to require my kids to wear radiation suits like they taught in school.

Don’t believe everything that you Breath, it’s all bullshit and it’s all bad for you.
Curious what the long term health trade offs really are.

Not sure the health implications of trailing along behind a bunch of DEF trucks has been studied. I have spoken with a couple doctors over the past couple years who have expressed concerns.

I average 8 to 8+ mpg in my emissions laden truck. I never came close to that in older trucks.
The newer engines are fantastic, especially if the truck is full aero and super singles. I'm asking what would would we get if we could just focus on burning less fuel. Some who have deleted the emissions packages from their trucks (very illegal ...) have said it's worth another 2-3 mpg ...

The newer engines are fantastic, especially if the truck is full aero and super singles. I'm asking what would would we get if we could just focus on burning less fuel. Some who have deleted the emissions packages from their trucks (very illegal ...) have said it's worth another 2-3 mpg ...
They said.

Super singles suck big time.
Those who have deleted will lose their savings and possibly more when they get caught. Additionally finding a shop to work on it and willing to possible lose their license and or suffer huge fines , good luck.
I couldn't care less about burning less fuel as a nation. Remember when we were going to run out oil in the 70's lmao.

Super singles suck big time.

There's varying opinions on that.

Those who have deleted will lose their savings and possibly more when they get caught. Additionally finding a shop to work on it and willing to possible lose their license and or suffer huge fines , good luck.

Agreed. There can be real problems if it's not done properly, and who are you going to complain to if the job is botched? Selling it can be problematical as well.

I couldn't care less about burning less fuel as a nation. Remember when we were going to run out oil in the 70's lmao.

That apparently isn't the big problem.

There would be some not insignificant fuel economy gains to be had by adjusting timing to maximize economy, but nothing in the range 2-3 mph. That timing is not the maximum power timing, either.

As to the hazards of DEF treated exhaust, unless it's spewing raw DEF, the exhaust is largely innocuous. Water, CO2, with some NOX and CO. But no hydrocarbons, which was present as both soot and unburned fuel. I'll take a bit of ammonia from a bad aftertreatment over the old crap.

There would be some not insignificant fuel economy gains to be had by adjusting timing to maximize economy, but nothing in the range 2-3 mph. That timing is not the maximum power timing, either.

As to the hazards of DEF treated exhaust, unless it's spewing raw DEF, the exhaust is largely innocuous. Water, CO2, with some NOX and CO. But no hydrocarbons, which was present as both soot and unburned fuel. I'll take a bit of ammonia from a bad aftertreatment over the old crap.
Have you ever heard of anyone screwing with the fuel solenoids to “boost” power?
Apparently some “tuners” will do that

Removing the dpf will net you a gain of 1.6mpg for the time it would be dosing.

Screwing with solenoid without retuning the ECM does virtually nothing as everything will be readjusted by the ecm.

Eh.

Apparently they’re supposed to be sealed with wax

:dunno:
You can buy all that stuff. But when I say tune an ecm I mean more give it new fuel mapping and turbo tuning for variable geometry applications. Remove it from looking at other numbers you can really tweet shit without changing hard parts if your able to gain access to that.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread