ECM Tuning - Good Or Bad Idea?

Oh come on your almost writing the jokes for us with that.

But just out of staying on topic you have a Cummins right not a Maxipad?
Yes. Thought I put that up there somewhere...that it's ISX. Kotex doesn't make ISX. Quite the opposite, actually..

How far do you wanna go with this? :stirpot2:

Sorry Maxipad is what my Son calls the Maxxforce. He said because it is always temperamental and leaks once a month.

Yours does not have a DPF either right?

I'm curious about what Blood is about to do. Isn't the flow rate for the injectors saved in the ECM? If you buy another ECM it will have another trucks values in there and the truck will not run right. In fact, they may base the performance tuning off the current values in there so they may be getting the wrong info. Something to check on.

Well here's a timely update on some of the discussion above.
I dropped my Int'l off at Central Power [Detroit OEM shop] Wednesday night to have the overhead done.
Shop super called me yesterday to say that there were 3 broken head bolts, probably caused by over fueling the cylinders.

This is on the salvage ECM I put on about a year and a half ago.
I took the truck to JX Peterbuilt in Bloomingtom, IL at the time and they supposedly reset the ECM but obviously they couldn't recover any data from the fried ECM.
I thought they were suppose to be able to recover the original parameters directly from Detroit but it's been so long ago that I don't recall the details.
Central Power said that the parameters were out of range for my engine.

Now instead of a $425 overhead I'm getting an R&R on the head to replace the bolts at $3500 - $4000.
I could have probably avoided this by taking the truck ASAP to the OEM after replacing the fried ECM [or just having the ECM replaced with new at the time].

Coulda been much worse I suppose...
and the work is being done during off time while the plant is down so lost revenue is $0.

Shop super called me yesterday to say that there were 3 broken head bolts, probably caused by over fueling the cylinders.

The over fueling was probably caused by the injector timing never entered into the ECM. You can't just throw an ECM or injector in without the correct values entered in. There is no such thing as a factory setting for injector timing. Each injector is different and is bench tested and assigned a value. That value is unique to THAT injector.

I just looked on my paper work and my injectors all have different values from 42 to 89. That value dictates how long an injector stays open supplying fuel so that they can all be doing the same thing.

The factory settings are for the injectors that were installed in the engine when it was new. If you swap out the ECM you have factory settings for 6 DIFFERENT injectors.

You're all idiots!

You really have to be careful about the ECM "doctors" - half of the are closer to ECM butchers. @Skateboard and @mndriver are absolutely right about the injector trim codes... I've heard of ECM Drs who will set these codes to full on uniformly across the injectors. Others will disable the safety limits on the engine to get their code to work, so oil pressure shutdowns, etc are disabled.

You definitely need to be careful about who you let in there.

Wow, this forum is like Truckers Report unleashed!!!!.....Just for clarification, Copperhead = blue Columbia glider right???

Anyway, MNDriver, could you PM me the info on that tuner, I have a S60 14L in need of it. Also, how much $ and how do you deal with tuning a 14L from 515 hp and 1650 Torque to , say 575-600hp and 1850 without frying the driveline?

The discussion on the injectors was very informative, thank you!!!

Wow, this forum is like Truckers Report unleashed!!!!.....Just for clarification, Copperhead = blue Columbia glider right???

Anyway, MNDriver, could you PM me the info on that tuner, I have a S60 14L in need of it. Also, how much $ and how do you deal with tuning a 14L from 515 hp and 1650 Torque to , say 575-600hp and 1850 without frying the driveline?

The discussion on the injectors was very informative, thank you!!!
Not sure what you want.....

Home page

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread