Earthquake...

The Navy has a Deep Submergence Rescue Vehicle (DSRV) which is a small submarine designed for rescuing men from sunken submarines on the ocean floor. My brother in law used to be assigned to the USS Mystic.

I'm not sure if they would use a gantry crane or pull it out like a pleasure boat, but somehow they would load the submarine on a specially designed low-boy trailer and haul it over roads. They would drive the entire tractor/trailer/submarine rig into a C-something (I think he told me it was a C-5) and fly it all over the world. The plane was over it's peacetime capacity and they would usually break something or blow tires every time they landed somewhere. I remember they got stuck in the Azores once for several days waiting for parts to be flown in to fix the plane.

800px-

View attachment 13771
View attachment 13771

And where are they going to put the buses? The Boeing 747's that are used for Air Force One duties are not set up for cargo carrying. And they certainly aren't big enough to carry buses. I know that when they go overseas they use some C17 jets like these:

View attachment 13772
View attachment 13773
View attachment 13774
View attachment 13775

to carry a half a dozen limosines and SUV's for the security detail that follows the president everywhere. They might be able to get one or two buses in one of those.

I'd be willing to bet that they just rent buses when they are out stumping around playing politics.

Oh, and here is something you wouldn't want to see in your rear view mirror.
c17.jpg

I have seen a locomotive loaded on a Russian built Antinov, But having spent years in aviation I can say a Bus connot be loaded on a 747.Not even on the custom/specialy made Airforce one.
View attachment 13772View attachment 13773View attachment 13774View attachment 13775

I have seen a locomotive loaded on a Russian built Antinov, But having spent years in aviation I can say a Bus connot be loaded on a 747.Not even on the custom/specialy made Airforce one.

Yep. The Air Force One 747's were built about 30 years ago, on a 747 model platform they don't even build anymore.

They are up to -8 for the 747's now, the only model of that line that they build.

I think the AF1 fleet are 747-400 models. Not 100% sure on that though. However, the modifications to them make them an entirely different bird than the platforms they started with. They're lots heavier, cuz they've probably added all sorts of guns and armor to them. They're also equipped for in-flight refueling, and they got bigger, more powerful engines on them.

One thing I just thought of. It's hard to count the wheels in pictures, but I would not be surprised at all if the AF1 fleet has more wheels and tires on it than the standard 747-400 models. Just like with trucks, if it's too heavy, put more axles under it.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread