Driving in winter conditions driving on ice while freezing or driving on ice while warm

Josephb

I would like some help here I'm having a bit of a discussion with a friend about driving on icy roads. My thing is I would rather drive on ice while it's blistering cold outside say 10 degrees or lower vs driving on ice while it's warmer say above freezing and tends to have water on top of it. While night driving has its challenges it tends to be colder and less traffic than day driving. I would rather drive at night while it's cold and ice is frozen solid and not as slick vs day time driving where trips are higher and more traffic running on that ice warming it up leaving more water on top of the ice making it more dangerous. Tell me what you think and why. Thank you everyone.

I think the only difference is that when it's too cold to attempt to melt it with salt, sometimes they throw sand or cinders on it.

That's kind of my point, once it's too cold to melt it and they throw down sand or something like that it's like concrete. And still much safer than water on top of ice.

Is not all about air temp.

One needs to know the roads actual temp too. At around 10°F, salts and brines tend to stop working.

Traffic level has a lot to do with it has well. 20°F in Chicago is a lot different than 20°F in Wyoming.

Last edited:
Ice is ice, all of conditions involving ice are slick, none of the conditions are like concrete. I would say driving when there is less traffic on ice makes our job easier because I know I can control my vehicle in any condition by adjusting speed, steer input, and equipment (chains, snow tires etc etc).

What I can not do is control how someone else drives on similar conditions causing them to hit me.

I drove up US 45 last year on solid ice that I would have never tried with traffic. Thankfully the folks in Mississippi are more scared of ice than they are of daily bathing:toothpick:

:D

:mad:

:)
Side effects and health dangers of frequent bathing & showering

Removal of protective oils and altering the bacterial flora predisposes the skin to being affected by environmental hazards such as toxins and microorganism that cause infections and irritate skin.

- See more at: http://www.toomuchof.com/showering-bathing/#sthash.lECvyTH5.dpuf
What'r you gettin' yer knickers in a twist over? He didn't say MuhZURRuh.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread