Currently in cdl school

Hi everyone I'm allen I'm from NE Ohio I grew up in trucking due to my father and uncles being in the trucking industry... I am currently in school to get my cdl to follow in my father's foot steps but I am having issues which I knew I was going to have.... besides the fact it's hard to get into a company that will pay good with great home time and not have to be out for 2 or weeks with no experience I got an ovi 19 months ago which is causing me to be turned down with a lot of companies bc it's not atleast 2 yrs old .... does anyone know of any companies who will hire someone right out of school with an ovi that's not 2 yrs old and has a home Plan system that I could atleast be home every weekend I don't care about staying out 5 days but would like to be home on weekends to see my son... thanx in advance for any help and or suggestions

Riiiiiight how about this don't sit there on your ass and tell me what my boy needs or how my family life is or could be what the turn out could be OTR driving isn't the only job for cdl holders and 10 to 15 yrs your nuts I got just a few months to go I can drive OTR for transam for 1 yr then go to many many many more companies y start at the bottom of a factory and work my way up if it's not what I enjoy doing if I wanted to be cooped up in a factory I could stay where I'm at i like to travel and see new things and that's what I'm gonna do I really don't care what your 2 cents are nor anyone else's I have options whether there the ones I want right now or not I'd only have to put up with a bs company for 1 yr literally and I can have many other opertunities with alot of companies basically a simple question as to what options I have besides companies like transam would I have turned into some child hood argument instead of a simple yes try this place or no I don't believe so take what you got if you want to get started and to tell me I don't have what it takes please you have no clue about me take your opinions elsewhere
I have no idea who would hire you much less be a good employer. OVI's kill your options. Companies that would hire someone with a recent OVI are on the shortlist to be shut down by FMCSA, so they will mistreat you other ways. they will expect you to lie on your logs and cheat the system. Sooner or later that will go on the list of impediments to your goal. As far as knowing nothing about you, don't kid yourself. People are all alike within a narrow variation. You've put a lot of info on the internet to tell us what your variations are. I don't recommend anyone go trucking in any scenario. So don't count yourself as getting special treatment. I am a mean old owner-operator who has been out here too long and seen a lot of death and disappointment. Maybe there's a lot I don't know about you, but what you say tells me you can't hack it out here. You'll wind up in jail. And honestly, even if you do get a nice job and go wandering about the country for 5 days at a time, you'll realize, your achievement is empty. You'll become a prisoner of the highway like me.

You are correct about the legal limits but here in ohio when you get pulled over and get charged with ovi they give you 2 charges dui charge and ovi charge along with reason for pulling you over reason for 2 charges is bc one gets thrown out of court had I not admitted to drinking a beer I would have won my case but bc I did they though the dui charge out along with my traffic violation and stuck me with the ovi bc I admitted to drinking... when I did my hotel stay for the ovi charge we had to listen to a state Highway patrol officer give a speech and he told all of us in the room legal limit is .08 doesn't matter though that's y they charge you twice.... so had I not admitted to drinking they couldn't keep both charges I blew under it gets thrown out they had no admition thrown out but they get you one way or the other I admitted to be honest and bc I thought they couldn't do anything it was 1 beer what's the big deal well Lil did I know how there system works so I got ****ed whatever life goes on and I've looked into local companies but mostly dump trucks around here and not really looking to get in that field do to points I have on regular license now I'm gonna have more points to worry about if I get in a truck that isn't really 100 and get stopped by dot I hear those trucks are alot harder to keep legal bc the abuse they take but it's here say there say
oh, and points on your license already? what are you going to do when you are getting inspected every few weeks and driving 100,000 miles a year? dude!!!!!!!

Riiiiiight how about this don't sit there on your ass and tell me what my boy needs or how my family life is or could be what the turn out could be OTR driving isn't the only job for cdl holders and 10 to 15 yrs your nuts I got just a few months to go I can drive OTR for transam for 1 yr then go to many many many more companies y start at the bottom of a factory and work my way up if it's not what I enjoy doing if I wanted to be cooped up in a factory I could stay where I'm at i like to travel and see new things and that's what I'm gonna do I really don't care what your 2 cents are nor anyone else's I have options whether there the ones I want right now or not I'd only have to put up with a bs company for 1 yr literally and I can have many other opertunities with alot of companies basically a simple question as to what options I have besides companies like transam would I have turned into some child hood argument instead of a simple yes try this place or no I don't believe so take what you got if you want to get started and to tell me I don't have what it takes please you have no clue about me take your opinions elsewhere
My advice, ... if you're sure TransAm will hire you, go there & drive for them for a year or so. Just don't let them sucker you into leasing a truck. Just stay in one of their company trucks.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread