Freightliner cold start procedure??.

hss

i got a 95 fl 70 with a cummins 5.9 engine. is there a cold weather start procedure? engine cranks quite a lot before she decides to fire? is this normal for these guys? would there be a engine pre heater or something like that on this engine?
thanks

it should have an engine heater that you plug into an outlet (120 volt). most trucks are not lucky enough to be around a plug in. lol.

i got a 95 fl 70 with a cummins 5.9 engine. is there a cold weather start procedure? engine cranks quite a lot before she decides to fire? is this normal for these guys? would there be a engine pre heater or something like that on this engine?
thanks

Is it a fast crank or slow crank? I don't think it is cold enough yet to really effect the starting so you might have other issues(going through something similar right now myself) a '95 would more then likely have a block heater (if it has one at all) then glow plugs. If it doesn't have a block heater you can have one installed easily enough. Up north we go through this every year, (don't use starting fluid and don't rev it until the engine has gotten a chance to warm up)

its actually a slow crank. i am thinking of checking the batts.
yes, sounds like you have a drain on the batteries. Have them load tested, if they are ok then the fun really starts, you'll need to check all your connections, look for shorts and corrosion, it could take you a while to find it, if you ever do but thinking you have a bad cell, that is the most likely culprit. It is not holding a charge and draining your other cells.

thanks guys will do. the previous owner just installed a new alternator. gonna check those batts tomorrow.

guage shows correct voltage. does the 5.9 cummins in the freightliners not have a pre heater? i know the 5.9 in the dodge rams do.

guage shows correct voltage. does the 5.9 cummins in the freightliners not have a pre heater? i know the 5.9 in the dodge rams do.

Depends, it is an option so alot of companies don't have them installed when ordering the trucks to save money. Some companies do, it is not that expensive to get one, you can do it yourself or a couple hour job for a mechanic.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread