Cell phone chargers

** Commie Express **
Premium
My cell phone USB charger no longer keeps up with my phone while I use it. My charger that came with my IPhone 6+ wasn't making a good connection so I bought one of those USB little chargers at the fuel desk. Since then it won't keep up.

After doing a little research I found out my Apple charger was 1,000ma. The new one I bought is 500ma

Thought I would pass this on

I only use the ones that plug into the cigarette lighter. Even at home I use my car charger, powered by a little 2 amp power supply.

Car chargers dump like a zillion amps into your phone & charges them up quickly

It takes a whole day to charge my Android using a USB charger.

That's what I am using but I found out it's 500ma and not 1,000ma
Is it one of those little plugs that, instead of having a cord coming straight out of it, has a USB port instead? Those are junk.

1.jpg

I'm talking about a real car charger.

2.png

Wire permanently attached to the lighter plug.

Here's mine. It's got a USB port but I've never used it. I just use the wire that comes out of the plug. Charges my phone in about an hour or so depending on how low it is.

3.jpg

Ya, the bottom one is what came with my phone and broke then replaced with the top one.

Ya, the bottom one is what came with my phone and broke then replaced with the top one.
Yeah those are crap. Anything USB is gonna be crap. Not much current.

The reason is probably because it's for a variety of phones. You can get a USB charger cord for a little flip-phone that'll fry the battery if it's given a whole amp. Probably other devices can charge off a USB too. Those little jetpack things for internet, MP3 players, etc.

The charger that's actually designed for your specific phone will charge at whatever rate the geeks who designed it think is best.

Here's mine. It's got a USB port but I've never used it. I just use the wire that comes out of the plug. Charges my phone in about an hour or so depending on how low it is.

View attachment 33011
If you pay attention to your phone, you'd see it calls that a "turbo" charger. I have the house version that came with my phone. I can charge from under 20% to full charge in about an Hour. We were in Texas and dad's old droid was dying in about an hour or less from full charge. It was cheaper for us to buy an upgrade than a new car charger. We got the same charger you showed and it would charge just as fast as my wall-wort. And the phone showed it as a "turbo" charger.

The difference is in how lithium batteries need to be charged. Been a while since I read up on them. But the requirements are totally different than what we used to need to do.

The difference is in how lithium batteries need to be charged. Been a while since I read up on them. But the requirements are totally different than what we used to need to do.
I have a cordless drill that's about 5 years old, maybe older, with a built-in Lithium Ion battery. 14.4 volt homeowner grade Black & Decker. Until I bought that, I was only using contractor grade 18 volt drills with the removable NiCad batteries.

The charger for my last one quit working & I was about to buy an 18 volt DeWalt when I saw that one. The "lithium batteries" written on the box made me immediately pick it up. I looked at it for all of about 10 seconds before deciding on it, just because of it's battery. Best drill I've ever bought. At 14.4 volts, it's not as powerful but it makes up for it in usability because of the battery. My first cordless drill was a 12 volt Ryobi. It's comparable to that one in torque, maybe a little better.

The battery isn't removable though. When it's dead, you can't just pop in another battery, so that part sucks.

But I've left it in the barn for months & months then grab it & it's running full strength through a whole project. When it "dies" it simply stops. One second it's going full strength then it just stops like it's completely dead. Charge it for 10 minutes & you can use it again at full strength to finish a job. It doesn't get that shallow cycle memory like the NiCads.

The only advantage to the NiCad drills is you can swap batteries in 2 seconds & keep working. But if you take your "dead" battery & put it straight in the charger, it'll shorten the charge/discharge cycle. You have to use the flashlight to drain it completely before charging it.

The only thing I don't really know about my lithium battery drill is how it compares to a comparable size NiCad in terms of amp hour ratings.

I use one of these upload_2016-1-24_8-35-20.jpeg

I got at Loves when I left my regular charger at home and it does well. It was supposed to be the high/turbo/rapid/intelligent type. Not quite as fast as the home one but it works in the truck when I am listening to MRN,PRN or my music.

I had to have my power port replaced on my phone once because it would not charge right.

ONN chargers are at Walmart. They have a 10 foot long one, and it is very thick. Not sure how much power goes through it, but it charges as well as, or faster than the little 3 foot charger that came with the iPhone.

Get a 2A charger. Most of 'em are 1A. When it starts charging slow or telling you it isn't the right charger, get a new cord. It's not making a complete connection because it's worn. It doesn't take much to wear.

Get a 2A charger. Most of 'em are 1A. When it starts charging slow or telling you it isn't the right charger, get a new cord. It's not making a complete connection because it's worn. It doesn't take much to wear.
Feeding it 2 amps at 13.6 volts won't toast the battery?

Doesn't hurt mine at all. The 2A charger I use is a car type charger. I've had this phone for almost a year. Battery's fine.
I guess it won't draw any more amps than it can handle. It's probably the voltage that would boil it if it's too high.

The phone itself requires a 2A charger. Says so in the destructions. It gives me funny messages when I hook it to a 1A.

The phone itself requires a 2A charger. Says so in the destructions. It gives me funny messages when I hook it to a 1A.
And I thought mine was a battery hog.

You can charge a car battery with 2 amps in less than a day.

My battery lasts all day from a full charge, even when I'm goofing around with y'all knuckleheads here.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread