Can the DOT really do this....?

Pat downs are ok, I just try to avoid the cavity searches!

A few years ago I was Hauling for a small outfit out of Florida where I live and on a trip to Jersey I was stopped on the Platform at the Darien Scale I95 MM54 in the United States of Georgia. The Officer instructed me to go around back cause they were going to search my Truck for Drugs because as he stated "Word is that you ******* Drivers are selling that Dope all up and down the highway". Well he was not completely wrong after all right Company wrong truck. The son of the Company Owner was notorious for using and selling all sorts of items. Now let me tell you I was asked out of the Truck nicely and then patted down and placed in cuffs behind my back for my protection and theirs. The Dog was brought out and put in my Truck it went in the bunk and all with not so much as a growl. They proceeded to take everything out of the truck and I mean everything tossing it to the asphalt then on to the Side Boxes removing all my tools, wheel straps bulbs and so on just kept dropping it all on the asphalt. They found no Drugs however they did take a Machete from me said it was a dangerous weapon not permitted in Commercial Vehicles issued property receipt for it. They completed their search uncuffed me and stated that I could now put my stuff back in the Truck this was all quite amusing to me. I called the owner and told him that I had been pulled in and searched and got a hearty laugh out of him apparently it was amusing to him as well. But yes they can and will search your Truck for no apparent reason and no they are not required to replace the stuff back into the Truck.

A few years ago I was Hauling for a small outfit out of Florida where I live and on a trip to Jersey I was stopped on the Platform at the Darien Scale I95 MM54 in the United States of Georgia. The Officer instructed me to go around back cause they were going to search my Truck for Drugs because as he stated "Word is that you ******* Drivers are selling that Dope all up and down the highway". Well he was not completely wrong after all right Company wrong truck. The son of the Company Owner was notorious for using and selling all sorts of items. Now let me tell you I was asked out of the Truck nicely and then patted down and placed in cuffs behind my back for my protection and theirs. The Dog was brought out and put in my Truck it went in the bunk and all with not so much as a growl. They proceeded to take everything out of the truck and I mean everything tossing it to the asphalt then on to the Side Boxes removing all my tools, wheel straps bulbs and so on just kept dropping it all on the asphalt. They found no Drugs however they did take a Machete from me said it was a dangerous weapon not permitted in Commercial Vehicles issued property receipt for it. They completed their search uncuffed me and stated that I could now put my stuff back in the Truck this was all quite amusing to me. I called the owner and told him that I had been pulled in and searched and got a hearty laugh out of him apparently it was amusing to him as well. But yes they can and will search your Truck for no apparent reason and no they are not required to replace the stuff back into the Truck.

I would not work for a company with such a bad reputation. I hardly ever get a red light on the pre pass, and when I do, it is a rare occurrence that I am required to get out and go inside to talk with the nice assifer. And not once have I been subjected to a closer look.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread