California opens highway rest stops to food trucks, helping truckers get warm meals

Ohio did the same thing, when they announced it I had the same reaction as you. “Why can’t they anyway”?
Yeah, it’s something I never really thought about and it’s a service that would make lots of sense.

Paid showers would be a great investment as well. They are already there cleaning things. Why not have a couple showers.

With food and a shower, I could actually do a 34 at some of the larger rest areas.

Yeah, it’s something I never really thought about and it’s a service that would make lots of sense.

Paid showers would be a great investment as well. They are already there cleaning things. Why not have a couple showers.

With food and a shower, I could actually do a 34 at some of the larger rest areas.
I hadn’t thought of it but yeah, I can tell ya pulling oversize loads sometimes a rest area with hot food would be a godsend.

I run out of San Francisco, there is a food truck across the street from the yard, and their food is great. I hope Arizona, New Mexico, and Texas does the same.

SACRAMENTO —
Food trucks will be allowed to operate at the 86 state rest areas in California during the COVID-19 pandemic to provide access to food for highway motorists, including truck drivers, as well as economic relief to food-truck operators, Caltrans announced Friday.

The lifting of the state’s ban on food trucks at rest stops was part of an executive order issued Thursday by Gov. Gavin Newsom and also made possible by a Federal Highway Administration rule change.

Good luck finding a spot in the vast majority of California Rest Areas...

On 40 it's Trucks 24/7..

On 10 or 15 it's the Motor homes and Campers along with the trucks trying to crowd into a 1970s era Rest Stop made for less than half today's traffic volume

Good point, I never sleep in the rest areas, company policy. You are right, they get pretty crowded.
Texas used to be the worst open air and parellell parking..

That said over the last 10 years they have rebuilt abunch of of em into the Modern Era with big truck parking areas

Seems senseless to me that there are bans like this in the first place.
Because they'll kill businesses located off the exits the same way the interstates killed the small towns they bypassed.

For the long term the bans are good. We don't need truck stops and good restaurants going out of business.

The food trucks are supposedly only going to be at rest areas with no brick and mortar restaurants nearby.

Because they'll kill businesses located off the exits the same way the interstates killed the small towns they bypassed.

For the long term the bans are good. We don't need truck stops and good restaurants going out of business.

The food trucks are supposedly only going to be at rest areas with no brick and mortar restaurants nearby.

A food truck is a business just like any of the other businesses.

A food truck is a business just like any of the other businesses.
When the food trucks run all the truck stops out of business, where are you going to park? Where are you going to shower?

I like brick and mortar restaurants.

When the food trucks run all the truck stops out of business, where are you going to park? Where are you going to shower?

I like brick and mortar restaurants.
I didn’t know trucks stops had restaurants anymore. If the wanna compete with four trucks put in something besides fast food.

OK so I suppose you two will be content having nowhere to park.
I thought rest areas had places to park.
Truck stops make their money on selling fuel, lots of fuel. Not off being franchisees of fast food.
Rest areas do not sell fuel. I don't think the two would be in direct competition.

OK so I suppose you two will be content having nowhere to park.
RJ beat me to it, there’s little profit in restaurants be it sit down or fast food. The eliminated the sit down because the square footage required and the profit margin per square foot is higher in the convenience store than it is in a restaurant. I’ll bet the truck stop itself makes more profit on a roller dog than they do a Big Mac.

I thought rest areas had places to park.
Truck stops make their money on selling fuel, lots of fuel. Not off being franchisees of fast food.
Rest areas do not sell fuel. I don't think the two would be in direct competition.
RJ beat me to it, there’s little profit in restaurants be it sit down or fast food. The eliminated the sit down because the square footage required and the profit margin per square foot is higher in the convenience store than it is in a restaurant. I’ll bet the truck stop itself makes more profit on a roller dog than they do a Big Mac.
You two also.

All 4 of you are banished to the exit ramps and abandoned lots. 😎

This won't just hurt the truck stops, it'll hurt the regular restaurants because it ain't just truck drivers on the road who gotta eat.

And when they're all closed down from unfair competition, now all those tourists are going to be in line ahead of you at the food trucks, when you're Yom your 30 break with the clock ticking away, even in the rainy or cold weather when you least want to be standing in line outside.

Pat yourselves on the back when that happens.

Commercialization of rest areas was banned for a good reason, by more intelligent people than we have around today, apparently.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread