buddy drove over 70hr rule (out of service)

Vadim

ok, my buddy drove over 70hrs and DOT pulled him over, now hes at a TA truckstop and is planning to leave this night... whats the worst thing that can happen if he leaves? the dot guy is gone...

Breaking the rules is no small mistake.

Disregarding an OOS order is not only a huge mistake, it is something that only a MORON would do.

When drivers act like this it reflects on all of us, and then we are all subjected to extra scrutiny. I do me best to know the rules and work within them. It is not fair to me that the Revenue Rangers will be taking a closer look at me because some jackass wants to run outside of the rules so he can have all those toys you mentioned.

I too hope this guy gets caught.

I hope he DOESN'T get caught actually. And for the same reason you described.

If he doesn't get caught, then obviously the DOT doesn't know he violated the OOS order, and that won't result in more scrutiny on the rest of us.

In one of his first posts on this forum, Vadim said he's 22 yrs old. Young guys do stupid things like that all the time, but then the smarter ones eventually grow up.

When I was his age, maybe a little younger, I used to drive drunk all the time, in my car, pickup, motorcycle, etc. I never once got a DUI, but I grew out of that stuff anyway. It didn't take any arrests or a trashed MVR to "smarten" me up, .. one day I simply decided not to do it any more.

That's what I'd rather see happen with Vadim &/or his "friend". I don't want to see him get caught for violating the OOS, .. I hope he gets away with it THIS TIME, and then never does it again. Violating the OOS order isn't going to reflect badly on the rest of us, unless he gets caught. Then it adds one more incident to the statistics that are looked at when the DOT decides to treat the rest of us like criminals.

So in talking to my husband who was put out of service for a leaking fuel cap. The guy who put him out of service drove by 3 times in a hour and a half but that is here in Utah

I would think this would be a OOS until repaired or at least a "get 'r fixed asap" but don't know any of the details.

I would think this would be a OOS until repaired or at least a "get 'r fixed asap" but don't know any of the details.

Yes, that is correct. Get it fixed then call DOT officer and have him release you. I was put out of service for 5 minutes in AZ to fill up a low tire. The guy was just being a prick about it.

It was a get r fixed and the stuipid thing was he was on his way to the yard ( only a mile if that) and the truck was on it's way to the shop to. and because it was a potentail of leaking fuel he could not move the truck as per the COP.:dunno:

It was a get r fixed and the stuipid thing was he was on his way to the yard ( only a mile if that) and the truck was on it's way to the shop to. and because it was a potentail of leaking fuel he could not move the truck as per the COP.:dunno:

So, ... can't somebody from the yard bring out a new fuel cap if it's only a mile?

Rubber Duck said:
So, ... can't somebody from the yard bring out a new fuel cap if it's only a mile?

That was the stupid thing when he called them it took the shop a hour and a half to get to him. Sometimes I really don't know what they do there , because it seems like over half of there trucks get sent to cummins, or volvo. He would have gone to get it him self but, well not sure really.

lmao i just got a call from him, he left and made 420 miles with about 200 left :) lol i think id not risk that... well he says its sunday, all weight stations are closed lol what a reason to leave, hendidnt even leave at night like he planned, left 30 mins after dot guy left... put some fuel in his truck, shower and gone? right away? lol
By time this posts he's probably home and hopefully without getting caught. You (and he) need to know that virtually all state Motor Carrier Enforcement Units are plugged into each other, and had he been pulled through a scale and invited inside, or stopped for speeding and his license run, the chances are he and his company would be paying big fines. Don't forget that all those documents (the logs, the inspection with the OOS order, etc) all find their way home to the main office, where DOT Auditors can find them during the course of a DOT Compliance Review (commonly called the "DOT Audit"). So even though he may have gotten away with it for now, there's no 'statute of limitations' with the DOT and he might still have to pay the piper. In today's data-driven world, there's not much we do on the road that goes unnoticed or undocumented...

By time this posts he's probably home and hopefully without getting caught. You (and he) need to know that virtually all state Motor Carrier Enforcement Units are plugged into each other, and had he been pulled through a scale and invited inside, or stopped for speeding and his license run, the chances are he and his company would be paying big fines. Don't forget that all those documents (the logs, the inspection with the OOS order, etc) all find their way home to the main office, where DOT Auditors can find them during the course of a DOT Compliance Review (commonly called the "DOT Audit"). So even though he may have gotten away with it for now, there's no 'statute of limitations' with the DOT and he might still have to pay the piper. In today's data-driven world, there's not much we do on the road that goes unnoticed or undocumented...

Excellent points and worthy of a curtain call!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread