buddy drove over 70hr rule (out of service)

Vadim

ok, my buddy drove over 70hrs and DOT pulled him over, now hes at a TA truckstop and is planning to leave this night... whats the worst thing that can happen if he leaves? the dot guy is gone...

1. well the DOT weren't gonna sit there and babysit .... they got his number and someone will certainly be checking up... you really think they's as dumb as that?? The revenue from moving an out of service tag is probably enough to employ another officer.

2. They don't need to chase him down, they'll be waiting for his truck to cross the first scale and arrest him.

He'll likely lose his license, and job adding insult to injury.... so he can't pay the hefty fines.

lol do you guys think the dot will check at the truckstop to see if the truck is there? and if anything he can just say a buddy drove it away.. what do you guys think? there is no sticker on the truck, just driver out of service, truck is ok..

http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/rules-regulations/administration/fmcsr/fmcsrruletext.aspx?reg=383.53

§ 383.53Penalties.

(a) General rule. Any person who violates the rules set forth in subparts B and C of this part may be subject to civil or criminal penalties as provided for in 49 U.S.C. 521

(b). (b) Special penalties pertaining to violation of out-of-service orders—
(1) Driver violations. A driver who is convicted of violating an out-of-service order shall be subject to a civil penalty of not less than $2,500 for a first conviction and not less than $5,000 for a second or subsequent conviction, in addition to disqualification under § 383.51(e).

(2) Employer violations. An employer who is convicted of a violation of §383.37(c) shall be subject to a civil penalty of not less than $2,750 nor more than $25,000.

(c) Special penalties pertaining to railroad-highway grade crossing violations. An employer who is convicted of a violation of §383.37(d) must be subject to a civil penalty of not more than $10,000. [59 FR 26028, May 18, 1994, as amended at 64 FR 48111, Sept. 2, 1999; 67 FR 49759, July 31, 2002; 72 FR 36788, July 5, 2007]

If he gets caught minimum 2500 dollars and your license is gone for a year. Will he get caught? Who knows but that trucks plates and his license are already entered into that states data base if anyone runs it.

Can he wait until midnight finish a ten hour break and use rollover hours?

well he is 34 hours out of service... if he doesnt get caught, does dot check truckstops to see if the truck is still there?

well he is 34 hours out of service... if he doesnt get caught, does dot check truckstops to see if the truck is still there?

Some do some don't. If he crosses a scale or an officer runs his plate and the OOS has been registered he's gonna be flipping burgers.

He can not be 34 hours OOS. OOS can only hold him until he comes into compliance with all parts of CFR 395(HOS reg's).

OOS for 34 hours? I'm guessing he dont have any hours to pick up at midnight? Besides they took him to a truckstop when they could have vary well parked him right were they stopped him. Odds are if hes gotta set for 34 they will be back to check on him.
To break the rules you gotta know the rules, and if you cant do the time dont do the crime.

Every state is different. The DOT officer can come back on his next shift and check on your buddy. Many states have just upped their fine for leaving when out of service. I know some states are close to $5,000.

Usually they put an orange sticker on your windshield right in front of the driver and it's the officer who is suppose to come back when it's ok to take it off. That's what AZ does.

Next time just use more than one book, makes it easier to not get caught. That is if you are close to home and need to go oos to get there or something.

I hope he leaves, I hope he gets caught!

One less MORON on the road.

hows that a moron? dude when you work hard to try to support your family and bills, you know what moron is? those people who sit on welfare and eat off your tax money, remember they are as healthy as you are but are lazy/busy on their nintendo 64... we truckers are so disrespectful that we start hating on our own people just because someone made a small mistake...

hows that a moron? dude when you work hard to try to support your family and bills, you know what moron is? those people who sit on welfare and eat off your tax money, remember they are as healthy as you are but are lazy/busy on their nintendo 64... we truckers are so disrespectful that we start hating on our own people just because someone made a small mistake...

I think what BW9 meant is that if he drives the truck while out of service, he's a moron.

And I agree.

I think what BW9 meant is that if he drives the truck while out of service, he's a moron.

And I agree.

lmao i just got a call from him, he left and made 420 miles with about 200 left :) lol i think id not risk that... well he says its sunday, all weight stations are closed lol what a reason to leave, hendidnt even leave at night like he planned, left 30 mins after dot guy left... put some fuel in his truck, shower and gone? right away? lol

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread