Brokers and Truckdrivers

wargames

Drug Runner
This post of Freight Brokers Discussion, is very interesting. I have well over 30 years driving local. By reading the talks between Brokers and the Drivers, It seems that you can not acutally tell what the Broker is getting for each load. My thoughts, and I really don`t like the word (Opinion) because it sounds like an agressive word. But my thoughts are each and evey driver, are proposed a dollar amount for each load. And each driver makes there decision if it is the proper amount for the load. Either yes or no. Now if the Broker makes $100-$200-or $600 profit. Thats their bussiness. Sadly, each driver has no idea what the load is acually paying, the Broker is doing all the negotiating, phone calls, setting up loads. So I believe if you are comfortable with the offer they made you, then case closed. You really have no bussiness what it is being negotiated. You need to know if each load will make you money. I`m not taking sides, just my thoughts.

You're right everyone has their own opinions,or thoughts as u so kindly put it and be prepared for a few thoughts on your thread,LOL.Quite a few.I've been driving around 9 yrs but never as an O/O and don't think it'll ever happen either.

You're right everyone has their own opinions,or thoughts as u so kindly put it and be prepared for a few thoughts on your thread,LOL.Quite a few.I've been driving around 9 yrs but never as an O/O and don't think it'll ever happen either.
patriciajnsn, Im willing to hear everyones thoughts on this subject. Its a very touchy subject.

What I find interesting is the number of people on this forum who automatically take an antagonistic stance toward any broker that wanders in because they've been burned so many times, or just have bias.

What I find interesting is the number of people on this forum who automatically take an antagonistic stance toward any broker that wanders in because they've been burned so many times, or just have bias.
Sinister, I know each driver wants to get what they feel is the right amount of money for each load. They just simply take the offer or reject it. The Broker is doing all the negotiating, not the driver. I am wondering if each driver is doing the math, for each load, fuel, wear and tear on truck, ect. and the most important thing a profit. If all is met, case closed. Everyone is happy.

Sinister, I know each driver wants to get what they feel is the right amount of money for each load. They just simply take the offer or reject it. The Broker is doing all the negotiating, not the driver. I am wondering if each driver is doing the math, for each load, fuel, wear and tear on truck, ect. and the most important thing a profit. If all is met, case closed. Everyone is happy.

You say the Driver.. I know you really mean the Carrier takes the deal. TBH freight is won by relationships with the customer more then pricing does in most cases. As for most local LTL customers as a Broker it is very hard to complete with direct carriers.

Myself if a customer calls with an ltl load, I have pricing I have in place FROM the LTL carriers which they have agreed to take. I just set it up through them and make very little. The reason being is the drivers who service that customer from the local LTL company have built such a good re-poor with that customer, it is hard to complete as a broker. That being said.....

In reality most Carriers are Brokers...and you will find if you do the research that 99% of all freight moved world wide is through a Broker first... even if that broker is a Carrier.

Now if that LTL customer(or any for that matter) requires additional requirements that the Carrier will not provide...well it's is a totally different game. This is where I can shine as a Broker and possibly something Drivers don't consider as they bring everything down to what price the truck is actually getting.

For example let say a customer requires additional storage of the product before it is ship to the final customer. Maybe there is breaking down of pallets or just needs lead time to match overseas shipment etc. I as a broker can provide these services when a carrier may not. It is called Logistics for a reason and not JUST Trucking.

When you are dealing with larger companies they require more services from there Logistics providers then the Carriers are willing to handle.

Another example and this is my Niche actually... I did this as a Carrier and now I do it as a Broker.... Dealing with Freight Forwarders... you know the guy's who ship stuff worldwide by every mode of transportation. Truck,Rail,Ship, and Plane whatever...
Well they own none of those things it is all brokered out to various carriers.

What I excel at is moving Heavy Machinery,oversize loads and the like. Which requires allot of TLC.. and I am extremely efficient at it and my pricing reflects it... the edge I have is I did this as a carrier first, I know what it take s to do it.

The THING most carriers refuse to do is well 2 things actually one being taking the time to pressure wash the equipment as it cannot be placed on any ship with any kind of dirt on it. The other thing is breakdown of the actual equipment.. such as an Excavator which would have to have the boom and bucket removed for the majority of ship board shipments. This may sound extreme but it is not uncommon for shippers and consignee's to require additional services from there Logistic providers.

This is why the 3PL's or 3rd Party Logistic Providers control the majority of freight that moves world wide.

Next time you move a shipment for Sears look at the BOL and see who actually shiped it... I bet you will find it was Menlo Worldwide Logistics as they have 100% of Sears business no matter who actually moves the freight.

I know as driver's most of you see things as it relates to the bottom line, and it seems that truckers get screwed and they do I am not saying it is a fair system. I will say this Brokers and 3PL's are not going away any time soon....welcome to the new Global Economy.

I really know very little about this behind the scenes stuff, but I find it interesting. Kinda sounds like (to put it in a dumbed down version) business is business?

I know this is an older thread but I just wanted to voice my opinon. I do not think that all brokers are bad. Just because they carry the title does not mean that they automatically become a crook. Ultimately, it comes down to what kind of person they are. You cant hold a whole group accountable for the actions someone takes as a single person. :cool:

I know this is an older thread but I just wanted to voice my opinon. I do not think that all brokers are bad. Just because they carry the title does not mean that they automatically become a crook. Ultimately, it comes down to what kind of person they are. You cant hold a whole group accountable for the actions someone takes as a single person. :cool:

Yup, I agree. There are a lot of brokers I deal with that are straight up. They don't try and get as much as they can. They take their percentage and that's it.

Lizz, your picture is freaking me out!!!!

I talk to a lot of O/O's every week that have a bad attitude about brokers. But these same people won't or can't make cold calls to get accounts. All they do is drive and yet they don't place any value in the critical functions that brokers provide.

Real gross margins for brokers is between 10-15%. So $30k is too much for a salesperson? Time for a reality check.

I talk to a lot of O/O's every week that have a bad attitude about brokers. But these same people won't or can't make cold calls to get accounts. All they do is drive and yet they don't place any value in the critical functions that brokers provide.

Real gross margins for brokers is between 10-15%. So $30k is too much for a salesperson? Time for a reality check.

Ahem...not sure you noticed the name of this place but you're going to get SLAUGHTERED for this post.

I tend to agree though. When I was dispatching the company I was working for was trying to start a brokering department and I remember a story about the manager they put in charge of this area saying a lot of owner operators would end up shooting themselves in the foot. They'd accept a load, then call back and say they didn't want it for whatever reason, then still be sitting in Phoenix (for example) the next day and call back wondering if the load was still available.

One guy even went into a cursing fit about the deadhead involved after accepting the load, with rate confirmation in hand. If he wanted more money to help with deadhead, he could have asked before hand. Whether he got it or not, who knows, probably not....but still, to agree on the load, THEN start bitching about the rate...

ugh.

For all the BAD you hear about brokers, I wonder how much of it is started with the drivers.

Two sides to every story.

If you only have one truck it's next to impossible to cold call and get a deal with a shipper. What are you going to say, see you in a week or two for my next load. They would be like, WTF, we need a load moved tomorrow.

I have one shipper that deals with me around my home town. He pays really good. The only thing I am to him is a reliable carrier who gives one of his regular drivers the option of staying home when it's a long run. They manufacture high value parts and have their own fleet of trucks. The only reason I hooked up with him is a call out of the blue. One of his drivers had a heart attack and he needed a truck and I happened to be home.

I have another company that ships out lots of stuff. I've hauled many loads for them. I asked the owner point blank if I could haul direct and he said no. He deals with one broker and gives him a list of loads and dates and he's done with it. He said he did deal direct at one point and was constantly on the phone verifying credentials, insurance, updates and the biggest problem, where the hell are you, you were suppose to be here 5 hours ago. Heard that story many times!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread