Awwwwww.... come on now.

Southern Fried

Even I didn't think the "new generation" was this hopeless. Fontaine Fifth Wheel has come out with a Freakin' Video Camera setup that mounts on the back of the truck frame so the "driver" can "easier" hook/unhook the 5th wheel.

http://fifthwheel.com/video-dual-assist-camera.html

Good Lord..... this is going to add a chunk of change to the cost of a truck.... and for what???? Are people these days really this stupid and lazy??? Really????

A couple years back we had a female "trainee" quit after her first training run. Why??? Because she "felt" that she shouldn't have to do "dirty" jobs like hooking up the trailer, hooking up discharge hoses, etc, etc because she was a truck driver not a "menial". At the time we laughed about it as an oddity. But the more I see of "improvements" like this the more I wonder if any of the "new breed" are worth bothering with.

I'm beginning to see why the country needs the folks from the "third world" lands. :frown:

I don't know, ... on a big truck no way. Just line it up so the left edge of a 102" trailer is about 3-4" over the edge of your tractor's 96" wide axle & you're good.

Unless you have to hook up at an angle for some reason, then it takes about 45,254 G.O.A.L.s. :(

But if I had one of them there "newfangled" pickup trucks that still has some of it's original paint on the tailgate, I'd be tempted to put a camera back there so I don't have to do 45,254 G.O.A.L.s to make sure it's lined up with the ball & not about to over-shoot & hit the body metal when I'm trying to hook up to a trailer that's too heavy to just move by hand. The trailer tongue dollies have wheels on them, but they're useless in grass or gravel. Especially when the trailer tires have been sitting in the same spot for 2 years.

I don't know, ... on a big truck no way. Just line it up so the left edge of a 102" trailer is about 3-4" over the edge of your tractor's 96" wide axle & you're good.

Unless you have to hook up at an angle for some reason, then it takes about 45,254 G.O.A.L.s. :(

But if I had one of them there "newfangled" pickup trucks that still has some of it's original paint on the tailgate, I'd be tempted to put a camera back there so I don't have to do 45,254 G.O.A.L.s to make sure it's lined up with the ball & not about to over-shoot & hit the body metal when I'm trying to hook up to a trailer that's too heavy to just move by hand. The trailer tongue dollies have wheels on them, but they're useless in grass or gravel. Especially when the trailer tires have been sitting in the same spot for 2 years.

Just a thought..... and more redneckery. :D

Saw this on a boat trailer once. Guy drilled a hole in the top of the ball receiver and stuck in an old CB antenna with an old tennis ball on the tip. Said he could back up using only the inside mirror to center on his tailgate.

Just a thought..... and more redneckery. :D

Saw this on a boat trailer once. Guy drilled a hole in the top of the ball receiver and stuck in an old CB antenna with an old tennis ball on the tip. Said he could back up using only the inside mirror to center on his tailgate.
Well I hooked up my homemade 7'h x 12'L x 7'w van trailer yesterday to move it so I could mow the lawn, and I used my F-150. It hadn't been started in about a year & I needed to feed it 35 amps for about half an hour before it would start.

After the F-150 started up, I shut the door & the glass fell out of the left mirror. #$%&ing piece of shit. :mad:

Screw the rear-view mirror. Those are for cars. So I turned my head & looked out the rear window, which makes just as much sense as pretending there's no rear-view mirror ... There's a screw in the center of my tailgate on the inside. And when I built that van trailer, I purposely framed the front wall so there would be a line of screw heads in the exact center. I even measured & used a chalk line. That was so I could line the screw in the tailgate up to the screws on the trailer & be lined up perfectly left & right. But since the trailer is the same width as the truck and I had no mirror on the left side of the truck, I couldn't tell that I was hooking up to it at a slight angle. :mad:

I had to G.O.A.L. about 5 times until I saw that the coupler was perfect fore/aft and only 2 inches off laterally. So I just kicked the coupler until it was partially over the ball, lowered the tongue jack until it was putting pressure on the ball, then kicked it again until it fell down onto the ball.

Hauling cans we would get into some tight places, A jack-knife back in. Of course they where mostly drops, That part was pretty easy. Now hooking up to them was a bit harder but the more you did it the better you got. Line up the king pin with the hole in the fifth wheel, Drop the air in the tractor bags because there is no slide plate. Get under it and put the air back in the bags and pin it.

LOL. Speaking of cameras, I was rolling along I90 in NY. And someone hollers on the radio something about a car with a camera on top of it. Ok I am thinking like one of the GOOGLE cars. Some hollers stupid Canadians! Then the car passes me. Here is this car with a tiny camera mounted with one of those suction cup mounts. I was like it did not occur to them that they could mount it inside the car? The driver had a big band aid on it head and they where wearing the bed sheets.

So embarrassing. Everyone thought they where Canadian even though they had Quebec plates on the car.

Last time I checked ya'll claimed Kbec or however the hell you say it.
No they have been a pain in the ass from day one. Every 20 yrs or so we have a referendum to see if Quebec wants to separate. They want to join the U.S.
This time around I think we ought to have a referendum on weather they can stay apart of Canada or get the boot. I say build a wall with 1 mile wide corridor so as not to cut off my Maritime brothers and sisters.

All right we will take them, but you get Beiber, VanDamme, Celine Deon, and another furener to be named later.

In addition we give you California except the areas inside the perimeter of MCRD, Camp Pendleton, and 29 palms. We'll throw in Seattle to cover that ;)

See this foreign relations crap isn't that hard.

Oh and you folks get DC:D
No give backsides:p

All right we will take them, but you get Beiber, VanDamme, Celine Deon, and another furener to be named later.

In addition we give you California except the areas inside the perimeter of MCRD, Camp Pendleton, and 29 palms. We'll throw in Seattle to cover that ;)

We may have a good Republican candidate here. I know the American people are fed up with this, Beiber, VanDamme, Celine Deon, Crap and here is what I, If elected will do about it. Lord knows more people know who they are better than the people running things. Name recognition, But kind of twisted.

And also no! Canada will not take back those people and I just know the furener to be named later is R.J. LOL

Hell no..... who the heck do you think sent those folks there in the first place?

And Cali already is part of Mexico and we don't sublet. You can keep Seattle, we already gots Vancouver.

Nix on DC too. Nothing but crazy people there and that's what we use Tronna for.

Actually, since I've already got a lien on Louisiana, I was thinking more like Texas plus a couple of Nascar tracks like Daytona and Tallegada???

Hauling cans we would get into some tight places, A jack-knife back in. Of course they where mostly drops, That part was pretty easy. Now hooking up to them was a bit harder but the more you did it the better you got. Line up the king pin with the hole in the fifth wheel, Drop the air in the tractor bags because there is no slide plate. Get under it and put the air back in the bags and pin it.
I ain't no good at hooking up at an angle.

A couple times when I'd get home on a warm winter day, park the truck in the gravel, then it would rain, then the temp would drop, the puddle around my drive tires would turn to ice. So the tires are stuck in little cup-shaped holes.

If the little Ford tractor didn't want to pull the whole truck, I'd just use it to un-hook the tractor from the trailer. Then I'd throw some sand down & re-hook to the trailer at a 45 degree angle so the tires wouldn't fall down into the same holes. I'd have to G.O.A.L. before the 5th wheel was even under the trailer because to hook up I'd need some inertia. Even with sand on top of the ice I'd still not get any traction until I had the weight of the trailer on it and the trailer brakes released.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom