ATA driver shortage report

gearjammer

jammer
Driver Shortage Report
The US long-haul, heavy-duty truck transportation industry is experiencing a national shortage of 20,000 truck drivers, according to ATA's report, U.S. Truck Driver Shortage Analysis and Forecast. The Forecast, a report on the present and future of the long-haul truck driver pool, predicts the shortage of long-haul truck drivers will increase to 111,000 by 2014 if current demographic trends stay their course and if the overall labor force continues to grow at a slower pace. Article Continued... http://www.truckline.com/StateIndustry/Pages/DriverShortageReport.aspx

Are theses people living on the same PLANET as I am??

This was from almost 4 years ago, moving it out of the news forum so complete chaos doesn't take place ;)

I did'nt think there was a driver shortage now because so many companies are closing, laying off and many such as my self is looking for work.

I'm kinda curious why the number is always 20,000. That's the same number that's been referenced in reports by ATA since I started driving back in the 80's.

And here's another question coming to mind...with all the unemployed drivers looking for jobs - why is there a shortage? I think this may be just another scam by the corporates to utilize the "Green Cards For America" programs. Y'all do realize that companies have been able to fill out a form stating they have exhausted all means of locating American labor to be able to utilize foreign nationals to fill jobs. Our gov't a few years back changed the work-visa rules regarding proof of trying to hire American workers, and they only need to fill out of form under penalty of purgery.

And now that I think about it...this may be the reason these large trucking corps are using these bs methods of requiring notorized statements to prove periods of unemployment and other bs crap. Things are starting to make sense.

-ss-

If you are referencing this article...it is from 2005 I have not seen a driver shortage article as of late.
go look at their site today it may be an older article, but they still must believe it as they still have it on their site, right next the the article saying dec. tonnage went down 11%.

I'm kinda curious why the number is always 20,000. That's the same number that's been referenced in reports by ATA since I started driving back in the 80's.

And here's another question coming to mind...with all the unemployed drivers looking for jobs - why is there a shortage? I think this may be just another scam by the corporates to utilize the "Green Cards For America" programs. Y'all do realize that companies have been able to fill out a form stating they have exhausted all means of locating American labor to be able to utilize foreign nationals to fill jobs. Our gov't a few years back changed the work-visa rules regarding proof of trying to hire American workers, and they only need to fill out of form under penalty of purgery.

And now that I think about it...this may be the reason these large trucking corps are using these bs methods of requiring notorized statements to prove periods of unemployment and other bs crap. Things are starting to make sense.

-ss-
Now he had to make this post for nuthin...lol.......

Here's a report from TheFreeLibrary, dated March 2, 2006:
Truck Driver Shortage Hurts Economy, Smith & Solomon Has A Solution. - Free Online Library

Here's a report from HighBeamResearch, dated June 12, 2006:
Companies confront truck driver shortage | Article from Indianapolis Business Journal | HighBeam Research

Here's a report from PRLog, dated November 02, 2007:
Online Recruiting Helping Trucker Shortage

I would also like to point out the ATA has not placed any info on their site addressing driver overages...now have they? Something's becoming obvious to me, and I believe I'll just keep my composure until I have done some more research.

-ss-

go look at their site today it may be an older article, but they still must believe it as they still have it on their site, right next the the article saying dec. tonnage went down 11%.

Just saying this article was Posted: May 25, 2005 They evidently forgot to update their site.

Just saying this article was Posted: May 25, 2005 They evidently forgot to update their site.

I hear ya. But you're making me laugh. That info came from a page they have info up from this month. As a matter of fact it's right along side the lastest news. And remember now...this IS the ATA (the driver's advocate for betterment for the truckers by lobbying for more reg's.)

Oooooo, Wornouttrucker...I think you're getting better with the sarcasm...that's good, right there...lol

-ss-

It appears that the ATA has no problem preaching a shortage of drivers, and trying to get more and more new drivers to the industry, but they are doing all they can to avoid acknowledging the present overage.

Yeah, I believe they are leaving that up there on purpose.

Nice job Jammer, you took some old news and sparked some new controversy ;)

I wish there was a shortage then just maybe I could find a job easier.So many companies have a hiring freeze and companies like Schneider don't have a training program any longer,so you know that article is old.Just like alot of these ads looking for drivers.Those were posted long before the bad economy.

You can have my job, I don't feel like going ice-skating again tonight, LOL.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread