• Hi Guest,
    Do you have a question specific to a particular company? If so, click here for our list of over 50 popular trucking companies. Don't see the company listed? Post your question in our General Trucking Forum for all of our members to see, and we will consider adding a forum specifically for the company you mention.

ANY CRST DRIVERS ON THIS FORUM?

yarddog

i AM LOOKING FOR A CRST DRIVER THAT KNOWS WHAT HE IS TALKING ABOUT.iM GETTING READY TO START AT THEIR SCHOOL IN IOWA AND I NEED INFORMATION.ANY DRIVER PLEASE RESPOND.

i AM LOOKING FOR A CRST DRIVER THAT KNOWS WHAT HE IS TALKING ABOUT.iM GETTING READY TO START AT THEIR SCHOOL IN IOWA AND I NEED INFORMATION.ANY DRIVER PLEASE RESPOND.

judging from the response column i guess there are no crst drivers in this forum or maybe none that know what there talkin bout!

yarddog in the thread trucking company reviews there is a little info about crst. not much. one of the posts has a picture of a wrecked crst truck. the main complaint i saw about them was no more solo, just teams. but if you know someone to work with ya, maybe someone you meet in school, maybe thats not to bad. but to be stuck in a rig with someone you might clash with would probably blow.

you said you're options were limited, so maybe driving for the worst of the worst might be all you have available at this time but my advice is to just watch your back, have heard many stories of these companies using you for all you are worth then when you quit,blackballing you with a bad D.A.C., do what you have to but when something better comes, along jump at it

yarddog: boone is correct in his assesment. google "central refrigerated service fraudulent training" and read some of those reports in there. i know its not crst, but its close to what you can expect. is it possible for you to maybe check with your local unemployment office and see if they offer the WIA program i beleive. they will pick up the tab if your eligible. or maybe a community college near where you are? maybe you can get on with someone local to you. but with the economy, that might be a long shot to say the least. thats about all i can think of and i wish you the best of luck!

OK,let me take time here and tell you my story.I went to school thru the wia program and then went to truck america training in ky.I got my cdl in august of 2008.I had prehires with trans am,werner,swift,and a few others but i found out i had mouth cancer.That is taken care of and is no longer a problem,they got it all out.But it took three operation to do it.Now im ready to go to work but the olny company that would take me is crst.So its back to school.I have to make the best of a bad situation,but im eager and willing to pay my dues and learn whatever this company has to offer.Thank you for all your comments.

oh my goodness. thank god you made a full recovery yarddog. when do you start school at crst? if it is possible, keep us informed on how this school and company are. i might consider them if it works for you. sounds like you have the will to make it in trucking and you know what to expect so you have half the battle won. i saw a conversation between two crst drivers somewhere in this web site. just cant remember where i was. anyways, good luck with your school and be safe.

I am a CRST Driver, been for 13 years. My partner over 20 years. Let me give some "I refuse to string along anyone" insight into what I know from experience. Now I said 13 years at CRST, Add 7 at England and 3 at a small carrier, that no one knows of really.

CRST is really all about laying it on the line with upfront, pull no punches information. The company has many drivers who have been here a long time and alot more that come and go. The reason is simple, this is not for everyone. CRST has a culture in place that is corporate america meets trucking. That means that this is a no nonsense company.

I think if you do your research, you will see more bad than good things written. Hold on, before you go off on a I told you everyone so tangent, understand what I am saying. The bad things written are done so by people who are discontent.

They go on forums and post negative stuff based upon impressions and talk about how great they have it at their new carrier and fail to understand that there are actually experienced truckers on these forums that know that half of the things they boast about where they are now, are not true for the most part. When asked where they are at now, where is it that they have found the trucking job of a lifetime or for the moment and they won't say where it is.

People are not going to always be easy to please and make happy. Here is what you need to know about CRST and please know that I am not partial about CRST or anyone, rather I am passionate about what I do for a living. I grew up in this business and by age 10, knew this is what I would do for my work and career. To be able to live my dream for as long as I have, is success to me. Okay enough about me and lets get to chewing the fat so to speak about CRST.

1. You start at the rate they give you. if it is .22 cents per mile than that is what you will make to start. Let me say that again...To Start. Experienced people make more. This is just the way it is. Take it leave it, it's your choice. Some people are just happy to have a job and for some guys and gals who come from a depressed area, this is not bad.

2. Pay is split miles not split pay. I will say that again, it is split miles, not split pay. So your not going to make .11 a mile. You make your rate multiplied by the amount of miles you physically drive. To make it easier, take total miles truck runs for the week, divide that in half and then multiply that number by the per cents mileage rate and that is your gross pay.

I will give you examples, just some guidelines so to speak. If your at .22 cents per mile and you drive 3000 of 6000 miles for the week, you will earn $660.00 before taxes and other deductions. Not bad money to start. Some people wouldn't make that a week if they work retail. Now lets figure it another way. If you can cover 475 miles a day, you and you alone, no matter what your teammate drives, we're talking about you. 475 miles per day sounds like alot but it really isn't, when your moving down the road at 60 to 65 miles per hour.

So at 475 miles a day, that is $104.50 per 475 miles driven. Now take that $104.50 and multiply that by seven days and you would gross the sum of $731.50 before taxes and deducations.

Now lets say you drive 550 miles per day, that being an average speed of 55 miles per hour for ten hours, X's .22 per mile, that would give you a daily pay rate of $121.00. Now multiply that by 7 days and you get $847.00 per week.

Now do you see what others fail to see? Now please keep in mind that some weeks, you may not cover these mile marks, it is the nature of the business.

If you can make it through the first year, you'll be okay.

There are companies out there where you can do better. I started at TMC as a brand new driver right out of school. Their percentage program is based on many different factors. I was making .50 something cents per mile after one or two months. Anyone can do this. Why restrict yourself to a low paying company just to get the experience? Find a company that will pay you well to get experience.

Speaking of CRST,I picked up a load where this company is from and Mary who does the bills was very angry with a CRST 2 days ago because instead of him going where the docks are he went in the car parking lot where the maintenance overhead door was at then he called Mary wondering where the dock was at.Of course I had to laugh.I forgot to ask her how he got out of there.My guess would be some of the employees had to go out and move their cars.New drivers always look before entering a parking lot.I did the same thing when I was new only the parking lot was empty that god.That was in Canada.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread