Trucking News: Amazon cuts ties with more delivery providers

Mike

More than 1,700 delivery drivers who work for small logistics companies in the Northeast found out in early August that they will lose their jobs over the next few months, though Amazon.com Inc. (NASDAQ: AMZN) said the drivers will have opportunities for other positions with its delivery partners.

The latest purge comes a few months after more than 1,300 delivery drivers were notified in February that Amazon was severing ties to their logistics companies.

“We work with a variety of carrier partners to get packages to Amazon customers and we regularly evaluate our partnerships,” an Amazon spokesperson told FreightWaves. “We have ended relationships with some partners, and Amazon is working closely with all impacted drivers to ensure they find opportunities to deliver Amazon packages with other local delivery service partners with little to no disruption to pay.”

Meanwhile, Prime delivery seems to be taking longer and longer, when it was supposed to be getting quicker.

Just this week, went to order a couple of filters. Placed the order on Wednesday, then advised that expected delivery wouldn't be until Tuesday. Canceled the order because I can get home and go pick them up myself faster than that.

Is it the Vasily Transports they're cutting ties with or what? UPS/FedEx still delivers to my door. Haven't had a college kid in a Kia Forte drop a package yet.

I ditched my Prime because it seemed to make no difference anymore.

Sarah bought a coffee table for some reason and it took almost 3 weeks to get here.

The service clearly seems to be getting worse and worse.
Meant to edit and deleted instead. Oops.

But yeah it's started shifting me back to local and elsewhere online.

Here's the thing though. They're driving dangerous just to get our stuff so fast. I'd rather wait for it or get it here if I can't than be part of that.

Meant to edit and deleted instead. Oops.

But yeah it's started shifting me back to local and elsewhere online.
I really don't like seeing how Amazon has been killing the brick and mortar retail businesses. And that Jeff Bezos guy evil. I don't get why people order stuff from Amazon at all, unless it's the only place you can find something.

I don't get why people order stuff from Amazon at all, unless it's the only place you can find something.
For convenience. After being out in the truck all week, the last thing I want to do is spend my home time running from store to store chasing down things I need. Rather have it all sitting there when I get home.

I really don't like seeing how Amazon has been killing the brick and mortar retail businesses. And that Jeff Bezos guy evil. I don't get why people order stuff from Amazon at all, unless it's the only place you can find something.
It's the ease, convenience, and used to be the speed.

For convenience. After being out in the truck all week, the last thing I want to do is spend my home time running from store to store chasing down things I need. Rather have it all sitting there when I get home.
I like it for projects like the old truck. Can start the tear down and don't need to get cleaned up to fetch the parts because they're on the porch.

That's online ordering in general though, and why I plan to spread the wealth more and more.

I like it for projects like the old truck. Can start the tear down and don't need to get cleaned up to fetch the parts because they're on the porch.

That's online ordering in general though, and why I plan to spread the wealth more and more.
Yeah I really love having to stop working on my tractor for a whole week while I wait for parts to arrive from Seattle.

If there's something I can get in an hour by going to Autozone, I'll do that.

It's the ease, convenience, and used to be the speed.
How convenient is it to deal with tons of cardboard boxes all the time? I've seen them put boxes inside of bigger boxes for no apparent reason other than to kill more trees.

Yeah I really love having to stop working on my tractor for a whole week while I wait for parts to arrive from Seattle.

If there's something I can get in an hour by going to Autozone, I'll do that.

How convenient is it to deal with tons of cardboard boxes all the time? I've seen them put boxes inside of bigger boxes for no apparent reason other than to kill more trees.
Lol yeah local it is if I can't plan ahead.

The boxes are indeed a PITA but they recycle. I used to use them to sell stuff online like Mike's kid but nowadays they just get recycled when I make the trash run.

Got a kid that loves boxes, turns the bigger ones into temporary dog houses, or people houses. Free toys.

Another kid is into buying stuff and selling it online (Poshmark, I think it is called). Boxes come in handy for that.

So, yeah. Way more convenient than having to run around picking stuff up when I would rather be home with the family.

Got a kid that loves boxes, turns the bigger ones into temporary dog houses, or people houses. Free toys.

Another kid is into buying stuff and selling it online (Poshmark, I think it is called). Boxes come in handy for that.

So, yeah. Way more convenient than having to run around picking stuff up when I would rather be home with the family.
Crowds also suck. I'm in a tiny town (pop 950) with no traffic because it has no stores but the "big city" of 21k is obnoxious to deal with because most of the commercial stuff is compacted together.

Crowds also suck. I'm in a tiny town (pop 950) with no traffic because it has no stores but the "big city" of 21k is obnoxious to deal with because most of the commercial stuff is compacted together.
Yep, and I'm all for avoiding the public right now as much as possible. Not exposing myself to the Corona anymore than necessary.

Yep, and I'm all for avoiding the public right now as much as possible. Not exposing myself to the Corona anymore than necessary.
Damn right. And as far as local goes, if they offer a convenient speedy curbside pickup, my butt is using it.

3 for 3 at Aldi. Order online, arrive during the window, 5 minutes later the trunk is full and I'm outta there. Love it.

I hope they never get rid of it.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread