3 axle trailer weight limit question

swray110

I am buying a 55 ton Triaxle RGN 110k in 12ft. I have a tandem axle truck with 40k drives How much max weight would I be able to permit on this configuration?

I am buying a 55 ton Triaxle RGN 110k in 12ft. I have a tandem axle truck with 40k drives How much max weight would I be able to permit on this configuration?

@mndriver Can provide some input on this.

Your biggest handicap on heavy weights will be the drive axles. No matter where you permit, you are going to have to be able to distribute it to stay under the 40k limit on the drives.

@mndriver Can provide some input on this.

Your biggest handicap on heavy weights will be the drive axles. No matter where you permit, you are going to have to be able to distribute it to stay under the 40k limit on the drives.

I’m clueless…🤣

2016 Volvo with meritor MT40-14x drives. The trailer I can get permitted up to 24,000lbs per axle. That’s 72,000 lbs. Only in certain states.
2A9FC965-31E1-4187-A75B-824D1644AE89.jpeg

@Sinister is likely a better resource for all his years…

I know this load we permitted me for 46,000 on the drives which sent me into a tissy for finding a new truck. Because I was over 20,000 lbs on each axle on the drives, I had to route myself in such a way I didn’t go through Oklahoma. I was 106k gross.

84242D28-D687-4041-A4EB-A4C329CCFD49.jpeg

So there’s no really easy answer to your question. I’m licensed for 80k in some states, 100 in others, still others 113 and 120k.

I’m clueless…🤣

2016 Volvo with meritor MT40-14x drives. The trailer I can get permitted up to 24,000lbs per axle. That’s 72,000 lbs. Only in certain states.
View attachment 85933

@Sinister is likely a better resource for all his years…

I know this load we permitted me for 46,000 on the drives which sent me into a tissy for finding a new truck. Because I was over 20,000 lbs on each axle on the drives, I had to route myself in such a way I didn’t go through Oklahoma. I was 106k gross.

View attachment 85934

So there’s no really easy answer to your question. I’m licensed for 80k in some states, 100 in others, still others 113 and 120k.
Having a hub cap on the front drive and not the rear bothers me. Fix it.

To be fair it bothers me too.

It's like a crooked floor mat kind of annoying. You will never not see it until it's fixed.

As far as permitting 5 axles or 6, states don't care how your truck is built, only what their regulations are. I never once had them check the build on the truck, just the permits and my weights.

60k on a triple is a good rule of thumb. Usually 20k per axle on a tandem though some states will allow you to permit a little heavier per axle BUUUUT....

....if scaled they will weigh you per axle.

Illinois, California and a few others are pretty good for this because you can rarely perfect it and it enables them to collect even more revenue.

Waverly, NE westbound is the Banning, CA of the Midwest. The #2 platform was total bullshit for years. 1500 pounds heavy every time. So look out for that. But this was almost a decade ago already.

Illinois, California and a few others are pretty good for this because you can rarely perfect it and it enables them to collect even more revenue.
Peoria last night the guy came across the speaker, "keep on truckin' driver. Looks good..."

bought crapped my drawers. I know I was close to the magic 34, had a permit for weight and knew I was about 86,000 gross.

Even illinoid isn't draggin' us in for this covid crap the last few months.

Arizona brought me in all three times to see that I actually signed my permit.

I asked about the missing caps a long time ago. I never got an answer, so I never pursued it. Some companies don't allow them on the steer axles because the driver would never check the hub oil.

I asked about the missing caps a long time ago. I never got an answer, so I never pursued it. Some companies don't allow them on the steer axles because the driver would never check the hub oil.
The steers kept popping out and disappearing.

I can never find the really good stainless ones so I just never replace them this last go around.

At least on the drives the caps are on the same axle. Used to be on different axles from side to side.

The steers kept popping out and disappearing.

I can never find the really good stainless ones so I just never replace them this last go around.

At least on the drives the caps are on the same axle. Used to be on different axles from side to side.
The steers not having covers doesn't bother me as much as one drive having and the other not.

I'd rather have no caps at all. If my caps start to become problematic, I'll just eliminate them and paint the hubs fresh black.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread