Freightliner 2020 Cascadia Cruise Control and Other Operation Questions

Injun

Rabid Squaw
Premium
It's a rental. Autoshift trans. Can't find the cruise control on/off switch.

Also, where is the engine brake control and how do you manually shift?

And don't tell me to read the operator's manual, IronPony. It's a rental. Op manual is gone.

Screenshot_20200224-140442.pngScreenshot_20200224-140306.png

Just Google 2020 Cascadia Driver's Manual. Fig 5-7 shows the location of the steering wheel cruise and engine brake switches. Further along it explains the left drivers stalk pulled towards you shifts up, and pushed away from you downshifts. The first video explains a lot of how the thing works.

No clue darlin'... I've never driven one of them new fangled thangs.

Last edited:
I get the feeling it may be worth your time reading about how the dt12 deals with grades considering the part of the world you're trucking in.

Looks way overcomplicated.

Manual engine brake level is set by the left shifter stalk. All the way up is off. One detent clockwise is level 1, 2 detents is level 2, the 3rd detent is level 3. On/Off is the manual switch on the left side of the steering wheel.

The CC engine brake switch on the dash dies the same thing for the cruise control computer. Manual engine brake level on the stalk needs to be all the way CCW (up) in the auto position for this to work.

Cruise control looks to be "ON" as soon as you power the truck up. I think. Maybe.

The Driving MODE selector on the end of the stalk needs to be understood, and there's a creep mode that needs to be understood. The Mode switch controls whether you're in Auto Economy (default,) Auto Performance or Manual mode.

Last edited:
I love my 10 speed...
I love my 10 speed...
I love my 10 speed...

:biggrin-2:

Although...

I've heard from more than one person, once you get into one of these things, you won't want to give it up.

:dunno:

If it had the new version of the smart wheel you just press the minus symbol on the cruise to set it I think.

Drove the DT12 with traction control through some slush snow mess.

wasn’t bad at all.

don’t tell anyone I said that...

On DTNA website driver's manual can be downloaded for this truck.

Last edited:
There was something going on with the ECM, I think. After I stopped and shut the engine off for a few minutes, the cruise would work with the switches on the wheel. There's a lot more stuff on the control stalks on this thing than any other truck I've driven.

As for the autoshift, it's a 13, but for now, I'd rather have my clutch. I'm too used to instant response from a stop and the lag time that it takes for this thing to get the message from the accelerator to tell the transmission to get in gear from neutral is too long. I know the X-15 under the hood has a lot better capabilities than the transmission is allowing. On the plus side, I haven't scratched a single gear since Monday morning!

And I hate the gizmos for lane stray and front collision. They're still a pain in the ass. That hasn't changed in 10 years.

There was something going on with the ECM, I think. After I stopped and shut the engine off for a few minutes, the cruise would work with the switches on the wheel. There's a lot more stuff on the control stalks on this thing than any other truck I've driven.

As for the autoshift, it's a 13, but for now, I'd rather have my clutch. I'm too used to instant response from a stop and the lag time that it takes for this thing to get the message from the accelerator to tell the transmission to get in gear from neutral is too long. I know the X-15 under the hood has a lot better capabilities than the transmission is allowing. On the plus side, I haven't scratched a single gear since Monday morning!

And I hate the gizmos for lane stray and front collision. They're still a pain in the ass. That hasn't changed in 10 years.
Just wait till that truck gets a mind of its own it will drive ya nuts same truck in a 16 dt12 hit the button on the end of the gear select stalk and try to lock it into the perf mode of the digital dash readout, if its till active. They took ours away on the last update would down shift sooner and hold them longer) I hate this one more and more everyday and end up locking it into manual mode. The best ones are when you come up to a stop sign try to accelerate and it cant figure out what gear it wants and you start to roll backwards. Also if you cruise decides to stop working hit the on and off buttons 3 times and it will over ride the system

Just wait till that truck gets a mind of its own it will drive ya nuts same truck in a 16 dt12 hit the button on the end of the gear select stalk and try to lock it into the perf mode of the digital dash readout, if its till active. They took ours away on the last update would down shift sooner and hold them longer) I hate this one more and more everyday and end up locking it into manual mode. The best ones are when you come up to a stop sign try to accelerate and it cant figure out what gear it wants and you start to roll backwards. Also if you cruise decides to stop working hit the on and off buttons 3 times and it will over ride the system
Sound like parameters that have been set by a safety director

+1 . Parameters must be changed.
... on the safety directors, yes! I've never met one of those idiots who has the slightest clue about driving a truck, especially in adverse conditions. Try to get one of them to admit that occasionally the throttle is a better choice than the brake pedal.

Sound like parameters that have been set by a safety director
that was an interstate truck dealership in inver grove heights update when it had to go in probably 75% of the fleet still has it. not overly concerned new truck should be here soon, and im sure if its like the others even more gutless:bonk:then again if they would just stop paying me i could leave :coocoo:

Last edited:
This truck was an old lenertz livestock truck.

I'd love to talk with their safety and maintenance directors.

So many stupid little things that screamed "look at me.." or set up a driver for safety issues.

It's stupid.

The white truck wasn't much better.

This truck was an old lenertz livestock truck.

I'd love to talk with their safety and maintenance directors.

So many stupid little things that screamed "look at me.." or set up a driver for safety issues.

It's stupid.

The white truck wasn't much better.
If it makes you feel any better i finally got through to my terminal manager that whatever the maintenance side of things wasnt getting a obviously malfunctioning brake caliper fixed... after 9 months. Now im not the smartest person around but when a rotor looks like its been in a junk yard for a year due to rust (except for a finger wide strip)xwould you not think you could at least pull it off and see whats going on? Amazing today i got back to the yard rotor is cleaned up new caliper is on works like a charm head in to say thanks for getting it fixed and i get a ho hum yeah the caliper was frozen up tight... well no shit sherlock this isnt rocket science:bonk::bonk::bonk::bonk::bonk:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread