Detroit 14.0 Detroit mpg

@Mike just had his new Detroit put together with the pp manifold. So it'll be interesting to see his experience.

Mine is only a 12.7L, but I will definitely be sharing the experience. For anybody tracking their mileage on fuelgages, I will have all my fuel usage logged there as well.

I likely won't be concentrating too heavily on fuel economy in the beginning. Being that the engine is new, and winter time is here.

Two more loads, counting the load I am taking home right now, and I will be done with the PACCAR engine!

I sat back the last couple days and have been going over what to do with 988,000 miles on the truck.

The new trailer and having a heart attack killed my resources this year. So doing an in-frame before the magic million is out. Not that there is a reason to do it other than a possible extended warranty. A sales con IMHO.

With that said. I started looking at other options. I found a rebuildable 12.7 for $2500. It doesn't have any windows in the block, the cam and valve cover are gone though. It's also 1600 miles from me too. Sooo.

I had considered having a diesel tech program rebuild an engine and tranny for me, but that is out. By the time I priced the costs of parts etc and all that goes with it, I was within about $10-12k of just getting a glider from Fitzgerald or Harrison.

When I look at the fact that I've rebuild this truck fro. The Bell housing back to the tires as well as a new CAC, it really lends itself to rebuilding the engine.

Now that my mileages are up in the high 6's, low 7's, I'd honestly need a truck to average upper 8's and low 9's consistently even in the winter to justify the cost of new.

And that just isn't on the market right now.

So it will be installing a trailer tail in the next 6 months and planning an in-frame in the next 300,000+ now.

At $1,600 for manifold (and installing yourself) it would take a lot of miles to pay for it! Think they CLAIM .3 mpg increase. So if went 6.25 to 6.55 would take almost 77,000 miles to get back at $2.30/gallon, cheaper fuel would mean more miles.

When working on fuel economy, you definitely have to factor in where the value is for the money you are spending.

I wouldn't replace a manifold for the purpose of trying to increase fuel economy, unless I felt like something may be wrong with the one I have. Only exception is maybe during an rebuild.

Same goes for a transmission. You can improve fuel economy with more gears, but you likely won't stand to gain anything by replacing a perfectly good transmission.

Same goes for changing the rear gears, unless you happen to buy a truck with a horrible gear setup for what you are doing.

There are things, however, that you can do to any truck that helps.

Biggest factor, outside of running an engine that needs repairs, is driving habits. Invest in a scangauge, monitor your fuel economy, and track every gallon of fuel.

There are a hundred little parasitic things that will eat mileage too.

Turbo boots, CAC, ecm settings, intake leak, exhaust manifold leak, bad sensor, bad wiring harness, bad overhead settings, trailer air gap.

Just some of the items to address towards mileage as well

How much for the trailer tail?

I might spend the money on this instead: Flow Below
I've considered the flow below, but it's like $1800-2100 installed for the trailer tail. The economy improvement talking to Decker and a couple other companies have been like 8-11% improvements. So the greatest roi is there.

Not saying I won't do a flow-below. Just the priority will be the tail.

That some big numbers.
Hard to discount them that's for sure.

First guys I talked to I didn't believe them. Then I started talking to others.

Fleets started pushing trailer tail to develop the auto deploy because drivers weren't/aren't deploying the tail. It's making that much of a difference.

Well, if you had a bunch of Numbskulls backing into docks with them, I'd reconsider too.

So it will be installing a trailer tail in the next 6 months and planning an in-frame in the next 300,000+ now.

Plan & budget.
BUT
I wouldn't pull the trigger unless you see an indication that it's necessary.

My N14 uses about a gallon between changes.
1.4 million and still runs like a scalded dog.
Same thing with my bro's 60 Series.

You could get another 5 years out of it.

I might jump on the block for $2500 though if you have a place to store it.
Pretty cheap insurance and worth your money back every day of the week.

The plan is to put $500+/month into a money market until the engine is needed.

I'll be putting an engine damper on it this winter.

Otherwise, continue with regular maintenance, oil changes, coolant and hoses as well and only do the in-frame when something big happens.

Some of those auto deploys do not deploy as advertised. I see a bunch with the warning stickers still folded nice and tight running down the interstate.

I troll CL just for the hell of it sometimes.
Last week I stumbled across an '02 FLC, 12.7L, small bunk, flat top with 670K for $10k locally.
You could prolly buy it for $7500-$8500 cash.
I'm thinking about going for a look-see.

If/when the sewage rolling off capitol hill finally pools up here at the base there will be exemptions.
I intend to have one or more exempted trucks in reserve, be it ag, local, private, limited use, 54k & under, whatever.

I know a hand that ran general freight under ag only exemption for 20 years before he went legit.

Once everything is outlawed, outlaw will be the only option for a freeborn man.

You can find my MPG on fuelgauges under truck; "SCHN_70***"

A brand new Cascadia EVO with standard Schneider outfit.

I am thinking of two modifications a oil bypass filter and a Fuel Air separator. Both should be able to pay for themselves within a year.

Anyone else using FuelGauges/ProfitGauges?

Ernst

My wife's car has Sirius radio in it for a 3-month trial. We've taken a couple of trips and listened to broad dog and Kevin Rutherford on them.

It's funny listening to my wife going off on kr and saying how full of bullshit he is.

I can do the same thing on my spreadsheet from home without the marketing bs.

The oil bypass, may have been worth it on an older engine. Not sure so much any more.

I would definitely skip on the fass. The stock filter is already pretty tight at 7 micron.

Myself, I'll put aerodynamics on my trailer before I'd add either of those two items to the engine.

A brand new Cascadia EVO with standard Schneider outfit.

I am thinking of two modifications a oil bypass filter and a Fuel Air separator. Both should be able to pay for themselves within a year.

Anyone else using FuelGauges/ProfitGauges?

Ernst

Your engine is equipped with bypass filtration from the factory, and capable of going 50K or so between oil changes, though if it is a lease purchase, Schneider still demands 30K for some stupid reason.

I can do the same thing on my spreadsheet from home without the marketing bs.

Any of us can, but for me it is nice to be able to check out trucks with similar setups and see their current MPG numbers and trends.

It also gives great instant averages to access, 30, 60, 90, and lifetime, as well as a monitor of cost per gallon.

Sure, we can all do it manually, or we can enter the information via a mobile app in about 20 seconds while fueling.

7.77, nice 30 day average.

I will post mine once I get the truck out of the shop here at Schneider. They are in the process of doing a fifth wheel modification, installing the qualcomm unite, and lettering the truck.

Any of us can, but for me it is nice to be able to check out trucks with similar setups and see their current MPG numbers and trends.

It also gives great instant averages to access, 30, 60, 90, and lifetime, as well as a monitor of cost per gallon.

Sure, we can all do it manually, or we can enter the information via a mobile app in about 20 seconds while fueling.
And does it show what the load weights, weather, routes, locations etc? Because without that information, its not very accurate.

I'm not keen on comparing mileage from a skateboard to an icebox or tanker. Nor does it make any difference to me if he's hauling fur other for like ashley compared to cheese for Kraft.

(If you don't have an account, you don't get access)

My empty miles are mainly under 5%. I also run mainly loads over 40,000 lbs.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread