1 Wreck Turns Into 2..

Tn. Truckers Wife

I had the closest call yesterday..
I was on the interstate (2 lane) and traveling about 60 mph and came up on traffic at a stand still from an accident..I knew if I locked up my brakes that the guy behind me would rearend me because he was way to close traveling at the speed we were going...I hit my brakes hard to keep from hitting the person infront of me and then I let off and started tapping the brakes until I came to a stop right up on the guy's bumper infront of me...The guy behind hit his brakes hard and started swirving to try to avoid me and the car behind him slammed into him...I saw his whole front end all crumpled up...This is WHY I don't understand why people stay right on your bumper at high rates of speed....That's why I was able to stop and they were not...

When it was over I was shaking and a nervous wreck the rest of the way home.I just don't need that kinda stress...lol.....Just another day in Crashville...lol...

I was on the interstate (2 lane) and traveling about 60 mph and came up on traffic at a stand still from an accident..I knew if I locked up my brakes that the guy behind me would rearend me because he was way to close traveling at the speed we were going...I hit my brakes hard to keep from hitting the person infront of me and then I let off and started tapping the brakes until I came to a stop right up on the guy's bumper infront of me...The guy behind hit his brakes hard and started swirving to try to avoid me and the car behind him slammed into him...I saw his whole front end all crumpled up...This is WHY I don't understand why people stay right on your bumper at high rates of speed....That's why I was able to stop and they were not...

When it was over I was shaking and a nervous wreck the rest of the way home.I just don't need that kinda stress...lol.....Just another day in Crashville...lol...

I went through there in my dad's little Japanese go-kart a couple weeks ago, right after meeting with blackw900 in Antioch. Part of I-24 was closed so I had to take I-640? to I-65 north to 24 west. I was on I-65 & there was a lane closure on the right, half a mile before the exit for I-24 west.

I was sitting down low, in this tiny little car, but I could still tell that traffic was going to stop because on a curve, I could see brake lights ahead, lots of them. So I started gradually backing down, couldn't see past the mini-van in front of me but I knew it was going to be stopping in a minute.

Well there just happened to be an identical Miazda in the next lane to my left, same color & everything, occupied by two teenage boys. Since it was the same kind of car, and they were teenagers, naturally they wanted to race. They were both looking at me & kept passing me, then slowing down, trying to get my attention. If I made eye contact, they'd drop a couple of gears and floor it for a second. I was focusing on the traffic ahead, but they weren't. When everybody ahead of us suddenly realized it was time to slam on the brakes all at the same time, those boys didn't notice until it was almost too late. The kid driving the other jap-mobile couldn't stop in time, so he swerved hard to the right, cut right between me & the mini-van and went right into the lane that was closing & almost got T-boned by an SUV.

I went through there in my dad's little Japanese go-kart a couple weeks ago, right after meeting with blackw900 in Antioch. Part of I-24 was closed so I had to take I-640? to I-65 north to 24 west. I was on I-65 & there was a lane closure on the right, half a mile before the exit for I-24 west.

I was sitting down low, in this tiny little car, but I could still tell that traffic was going to stop because on a curve, I could see brake lights ahead, lots of them. So I started gradually backing down, couldn't see past the mini-van in front of me but I knew it was going to be stopping in a minute.

Well there just happened to be an identical Miazda in the next lane to my left, same color & everything, occupied by two teenage boys. Since it was the same kind of car, and they were teenagers, naturally they wanted to race. They were both looking at me & kept passing me, then slowing down, trying to get my attention. If I made eye contact, they'd drop a couple of gears and floor it for a second. I was focusing on the traffic ahead, but they weren't. When everybody ahead of us suddenly realized it was time to slam on the brakes all at the same time, those boys didn't notice until it was almost too late. The kid driving the other jap-mobile couldn't stop in time, so he swerved hard to the right, cut right between me & the mini-van and went right into the lane that was closing & almost got T-boned by an SUV.
That's a sharp looking car but I don't think I'd wanna be driving it through this city..I need more metal wrapped around me..lol..

That's a sharp looking car but I don't think I'd wanna be driving it through this city..I need more metal wrapped around me..lol..

Every time I roll through there it baffles me just how crazy the majority of the drivers seem to be. In the areas where the speed limit drops to 55 most of them are sill zipping along at 75 to 80.

Stupid, stupid people.

I agree stupid people exactly it should all be common sense or maybe not taught the dangers of trucks and stopping distance needed. I say that to say this, I always leave enough room between me and the vehicle in front of me what p****s me off is cars see the room in front of me and they move into it. This causes me to hack off further and what happens next??? Yep you guessed it , another driver without common sense again takes my stopping distance. Another thing is what happened to driver's getting on the radio and warning others of a brake check ahead??? Those days are gone also

I agree stupid people exactly it should all be common sense or maybe not taught the dangers of trucks and stopping distance needed. I say that to say this, I always leave enough room between me and the vehicle in front of me what p****s me off is cars see the room in front of me and they move into it. This causes me to hack off further and what happens next??? Yep you guessed it , another driver without common sense again takes my stopping distance. Another thing is what happened to driver's getting on the radio and warning others of a brake check ahead??? Those days are gone also
Nobody has there cb on anymore, Im always trying to warn drivers but hardly ever get a response.

Racer X 69 said:
Every time I roll through there it baffles me just how crazy the majority of the drivers seem to be. In the areas where the speed limit drops to 55 most of them are sill zipping along at 75 to 80.

Stupid, stupid people.

What about the idiots that pass you in the construction zones where you rub mirrors the lanes are so narrow

Glad you are ok with such a close call. I try to avoid going to crashville unless I have too. One thing that I still can't get used to about this area is drivers passing on the shoulder of the road. Some of them don't even slow down when they do it.

What about the idiots that pass you in the construction zones where you rub mirrors the lanes are so narrow

I've been running a lot of wide loads lately. So when I get into areas where there is no shoulder, and only 2 lanes in one direction, I straddle the zipper and take my half out of the middle.

Like the one I'm on now. 2,600 miles. Boaz, AL to Tacoma, WA. 12' wide.

Screw 'em!

I've been running a lot of wide loads lately. So when I get into areas where there is no shoulder, and only 2 lanes in one direction, I straddle the zipper and take my half out of the middle.

Like the one I'm on now. 2,600 miles. Boaz, AL to Tacoma, WA. 12' wide.

Screw 'em!

12 wide? How wide are the lanes on the interstate? I've never felt the inclination to pull over & jump out with a tape measure, .. but Interstate Highway standards - Wikipedia says they're 12 feet.

So why do you gotta straddle the zipper? Do they have you routed down cow paths or something?

12 wide? How wide are the lanes on the interstate? I've never felt the inclination to pull over & jump out with a tape measure, .. but Interstate Highway standards - Wikipedia says they're 12 feet.

So why do you gotta straddle the zipper? Do they have you routed down cow paths or something?

Hmmm . . . . . let's see.

Load = 12'.

Lane = 12'.

No shoulder = 0' wiggle room.

Dumbass 4 wheelers self absorbed and texting, weaving all over the place = recipe for disaster.

I'll straddle the zipper in those cases.

Don't forget, 12' is the "design" width. You can bet that there are places it will be less, and in some it may be more.

Glad you are ok with such a close call. I try to avoid going to crashville unless I have too. One thing that I still can't get used to about this area is drivers passing on the shoulder of the road. Some of them don't even slow down when they do it.
Thanks RD...It was definately a scary moment..I don't blame you for not wanting to drive around Nashville, these folks drive crazy..

Yep, they will sure run you over if your doing the speed limit...

Ok so you kind of have an idea what I was experiencing when I went through there a couple weeks ago in a tiny little two-seater Mazda Miata with a bent rim that makes the car shake really bad if I get it over 60 mph.

I had to drive it from Columbia, TN to Manteno, IL with a detour to Antioch, at 60 mph or less. The only time I was actually SCARED was in Nashville, and on I-24 from Nashville to where I got off it in Hopkinsville. I couldn't wait to get to US 41 because the speed limit was only 60 mph.

That's the only time in my entire life I've actually WANTED the speed limit to be low.

Glad you are ok TTW. I hope you aren't too rattled.
I saw my first truckers wreck today. I80 e , mm 70, or 80ish I think...lol. The one dude was evidently following the other dude way to fricken close. Dropped down to one lane for construction and wammo! ****ed up the whole front all the way back to the doors, and ruined the other dudes pretty and shiny trailer. Oopsy.....lmao.
Why the heck do these dumbasses follow so close? Sometimes they're worse than 4 wheelers. I hate it when they do that. I hate it, I hate it!

Ok so you kind of have an idea what I was experiencing when I went through there a couple weeks ago in a tiny little two-seater Mazda Miata with a bent rim that makes the car shake really bad if I get it over 60 mph.

I had to drive it from Columbia, TN to Manteno, IL with a detour to Antioch, at 60 mph or less. The only time I was actually SCARED was in Nashville, and on I-24 from Nashville to where I got off it in Hopkinsville. I couldn't wait to get to US 41 because the speed limit was only 60 mph.

That's the only time in my entire life I've actually WANTED the speed limit to be low.
Bless your hear RD....So it's not just me that these drivers scare the crap out of..lol..I'm glad you made it through here safe and sound..

Glad you are ok TTW. I hope you aren't too rattled.
I saw my first truckers wreck today. I80 e , mm 70, or 80ish I think...lol. The one dude was evidently following the other dude way to fricken close. Dropped down to one lane for construction and wammo! ****ed up the whole front all the way back to the doors, and ruined the other dudes pretty and shiny trailer. Oopsy.....lmao.
Why the heck do these dumbasses follow so close? Sometimes they're worse than 4 wheelers. I hate it when they do that. I hate it, I hate it!
Thanks RACEFAN..I'm still a little nervous about being on the interstate...
It seems that people around here drive way too fast and follow way too close for the speed they are traveling....
I always say that if someone is driving normal and hits me that's ok accident's happen BUT if one of the idiots that's driving crazy whipping in and out of traffice and following too close hits me they're gonna be sorry.....I've had people follow so close that if I let off the gas they would plow into me....It ticks me off sooooooo bad..

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread