The 20 Healthiest (and Deadliest) Hot Dogs

kickin chicken

Batteries Not Included
America’s honorary summertime snack is often just a tube of sodium and saturated fat. The Daily Beast ranks the franks to find out which are the best—and worst—varieties.

The Fourth of July is the hot dog’s heyday. Between the parades, the fireworks, and the Coney Island eating contest, Americans will consume more than 150 million franks, which, as the National Hot Dog & Sausage Council points out, is enough to stretch from Los Angeles to Washington, D.C. more than five times. But if you’re choosing a hot dog over a burger to guard your heart and your waist, you’ll have to be picky.

At their worst, hot dogs are little more than processed, fatty meat and fillers loaded with carcinogenic preservatives. But, some dogs aren’t so bad, full of all natural, lean protein without added nitrites. To help holiday revelers figure out which dogs to feast on during upcoming barbeques, The Daily Beast determined the winners and losers among the lot.

To cull the list, we considered more than 90 regular-size frank varieties (no jumbo or foot-long offerings here) made by nationally available brands. We only considered encased-meat products that are marketed as hot dogs or franks; tofu dogs and chicken sausages can be healthy options, but we were looking for the best dog for frankfurter purists. Each dog was ranked based on calories, fat, saturated fat, sodium and protein, and final rankings were determined using a cumulative average (protein content was, of course, considered a positive and therefore inversely ranked to compute the averages). Hot dogs that are free of added nitrites were given an additional bonus.

Healthiest and Unhealthiest Hot Dogs from Oscar Mayer to Applegate Farms - The Daily Beast

That's one thing I never was a fan of is hotdogs unless right out of the pkg.I don't like em cooked.But sometimes i'll get a footlong at the DQ and just eat the chilli and onions.Sometimes i'll get a chilli cheese dog from the Pilot then nuke it and just eat the topping.I know all that isn't good for you either,LOL.But anymore what is.Seems the good foods are'nt all that great tasting,LOL.

Alright now Kickin chicken, first it's the diet drinks and now it's the hot dogs....Are you trying to ruin everyone's meal for the 4th...hahaha.....I like hot dogs, especially Sonic's new New York dog with spicey mustard, sour kraut and onions......

If you are concerned with eating healthy AND you're eating hot dogs......well then you are an idiot.Ya don't go lookin for a virgin in a *****house and ya don't try eatin healthy hot dogs.

Virgins are overrated....I like Chicago Classic dogs. And a little beer.

That's one thing I never was a fan of is hotdogs unless right out of the pkg.I don't like em cooked.But sometimes i'll get a footlong at the DQ and just eat the chilli and onions.Sometimes i'll get a chilli cheese dog from the Pilot then nuke it and just eat the topping.I know all that isn't good for you either,LOL.But anymore what is.Seems the good foods are'nt all that great tasting,LOL.

What do you dislike about cooked hotdogs? Or the hotdog portion of a chilidog? Between you and my sister...I think that she has you beat on picky eating habits, lol!

I like Chicago Classic dogs. And a HUGE pitcher of beer.

1). Finally, there's someone else with decent tastes in food, lol! Chicago hotdogs for the win!!!

2). I corrected your beer quote there....you like, you like???

Why don't you just get a bowl of chili?

OK.

Hot Dogs = Mystery Meat

(eyes, ears, lips, noses, feet and a$$holes)

Yuck!

:puke:

Wow, never knew a "healthy hot dog" existed until now. I presumed all were bad for your health. Way to go KC on this one. As for my hot dog: A Chicago style one with relish, onions with mild to hot peppers seals the deal for me.

Simplicity

The ONLY time I'll eat a doggy is if it's left on the grill so long it becomes crusty. A shot of mustard, two spoons of chili, fresh diced onions, then pack on some cole slaw and I've got a tasty treat. I don't eat enough of them to worry about the health effects.

All beef.. Same with bologna.. Now I do like my jalapino and cheese dogs. But I heard they transport hotdogs in a tanker to where they are used to fill the outer shell before going to market. Kind of a turn off if you think about it.. So I don't. Im with 2xr. burn it on the grill.

I'm not sure how they make hotdogs there are a lot of rumours of lips and ass.I like them,I can't have as many as I used to but I still love 'em.Could be just the freedom of eating pork if I choose.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread