Tesla tanking

And I'll still be driving my 10 mpg Cadillac until I can no longer buy fuel for it. "F" that EV stuff.
Do you have to use any lead additives or anything to compensate? Just curious really. I sometimes throw some sulphur additives into the old pickup because it predates ULSD. Gets kind of expensive after a while but I don't run it much and it's cheaper than the hot mess of these new trucks.

Do you have to use any lead additives or anything to compensate? Just curious really. I sometimes throw some sulphur additives into the old pickup because it predates ULSD. Gets kind of expensive after a while but I don't run it much and it's cheaper than the hot mess of these new trucks.
Honestly, no. The '59 had hardened valve seats, the '69 engines had so much nickle in the heads, you could get away without the lead additives. The seats were plenty hard. Lead was only used because it cushioned the valves when they closed, so they wouldn't rattle. My '76's are all unleaded fuel only cars anyway. Again, with the hardened valve seats. Unleaded gasoline was mandated beginning in 1975. That's also when catalytic converters first appeared in US built cars.

The Lubricity added to today's diesel compensates for the lack of sulfur. ULSD is actually better than the old dirty fuel. Sulfur just left a residue in the cylinders that built up causing higher compression. Yeah, I spelled sulfur the way spell check said to. I always thought the correct way was, sulphur. Yet it rejects it.

I'm not sure if this is uniform across the country, but the only difference in regular ULSD on road fuel and the red dyed off road fuel, is the injection of the red dye itself for taxing purposes. That and it's about $2.00 per gallon cheaper, simply because of the taxing authorities. Otherwise, the loading terminals and pipelines would have to do a flush for each product change demand.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread