Taxes when paid as an independant contractor

Davester

I took a job (driving for a very small Ontario company doing primarily all cross border long haul), only to find out i was being paid as an independant contractor. Now I have to file my 2019 taxes and I have no idea what to do about claiming meals etc..

Is there a way to claim a certain flat amount daily? The company i worked for didn't give me anything more than a settlement printout for each payment.

I have all of my driver logs and even signed bill of ladings to match my credit card statements. Do I need someone specialized in taxes for trucking ? I don't even know where to start.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

@Davester You were most likely misclassified as an independent contractor as opposed to an employee. I know I have been there.
As for your meal deductions, yes there is a way to claim a flat rate, no receipts required. I think it is around $25 per day.

Canada Revenue Agency is really cracking down on Companies that misclassify drivers as independent contractors. This is nothing you need to worry about but the employers may be in a world of shit.

I would get in touch with an employment lawyer and cover your ass.

It also seems to me that a mistake was made when specifying your position. And there is definitely a bid for food.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread