Six Rest Areas Closings In Indiana Putting Strain On Truck Parking

Mike

With Indiana facing an estimated budget shortfall of nearly $763 million in 2009, truckers needing to take a break may be left out in the cold – literally – as the state announces the permanent closure of six rest areas in January.

The Indiana Department of Transportation said it plans to save more than $1 million by closing the aging rest areas, but this limits the options for truckers traveling through the state.

A total of 40 truck parking spaces will be eliminated in the district of Crawfordsville alone because of the closure of the two rest areas on the east and westbound lanes of Interstate 74 at Waynetown, INDOT Public Information Officer Debbie Calder told Land Line Magazine.

Calder said she wasn’t sure of the total number of truck parking spaces that would be lost because of the other four rest area closings in the state.

Other rest areas closing include:

If they close rest stops, if a driver gets sleepy, can't stop for rest, and gets in an accident who would be at fault? :confused:

Cars and small bobtail type trucks don't have a big issue. They can pull into just about anywhere and take a nap. Tractor-Trailer drivers are screwed on many occasions, especially if they don't keep up with news like this and end up getting caught by surprise.

Adjust your atlas accordingly, with permanent marker :)

I have a question... Would truckers be willing to pay tolls if that would keep the rest stops open?

I have a question... Would truckers be willing to pay tolls if that would keep the rest stops open?

Here's the problem with that...the government will not use the money towards anything but government. And it is the government which has decided to close these rest areas.

So the answer to your question is, " no "I" will not be willing to pay tolls to drive on a highway, which should be free since we pay fuel tax on fuel while running on those highways, to bribe this government of ours to keep rest areas open. They already know we have a truck parking issue, and yet they're closing rest areas. What does that tell ya? I, for one, see this as a tactic to get truckers to take the toll roads. They're not closing any service areas...why's that?

-ss-

If truckers were to pay a toll for this, then all drivers should have to pay a toll for this.

Your comment does bring up a potential topic that will most likely be headlines in the transportation arena very soon. I will post more on this in another thread.

Here's the problem with that...the government will not use the money towards anything but government. And it is the government which has decided to close these rest areas.

So the answer to your question is, " no "I" will not be willing to pay tolls to drive on a highway, which should be free since we pay fuel tax on fuel while running on those highways, to bribe this government of ours to keep rest areas open. They already know we have a truck parking issue, and yet they're closing rest areas. What does that tell ya? I, for one, see this as a tactic to get truckers to take the toll roads. They're not closing any service areas...why's that?

-ss-

:beep:

Aren't rest stops made to keep trucks from just pulling over along side the road anywhere, and resting? If so, when they close the stops the same problem will present it's self, won't it? :banghead:

:beep:

Aren't rest stops made to keep trucks from just pulling over along side the road anywhere, and resting? If so, when they close the stops the same problem will present it's self, won't it? :banghead:

Rest areas are for truckers and four-wheelers. They are intended for safety...allowing vehicles to pull off the highway in a safe place to rest, or use the restroom. They are not created for the sole purpose to stop truckers from pulling over along side the road. Although truckers have never, at least as far as I'm aware, just pulled over anywhere. It's always been truck stops, off- and on- ramps, rest areas or roadside pull-outs.

-ss-

ok heres my 2 cents worth....
1. wheres all the money the state got for leasing out the toll road? they **** it away?
2. you cant park on the shoulder of a on or off ramp or you will get fined.
3. if we have to spend hours looking for a place to sleep. how is this going to affect our log books? if we are at our 10-11 hour of driving we are not goiung to be able to find parking and have to run over our hours to find a place to sleep.

imm sorry but this looks like a big money game to me. they take and take and take, and we get the short end of the stick.
i just hope they give me a big kiss this time before they screw us again....

It's a no win situation for trk drivers,deal with it.Really though I could'nt agree with you more dayripper.Alot of that money going for tolls is going to ppl who wear suit and tie.We have to keep them living that rich lifestyle u know.As far as spending hours looking for a place to sleep,that's alittle exagerated don't ya think. I drive alot of nites 90% and I never have any problem finding a place to sleep.You're spose to start loooking for a place an hr be4 you're out of hrs and if you're in a place where there is'nt much for parking then start looking earlier.You don't have to stay at a truck stop or restarea,there are many walmarts.Alot of times i'll stay at any store and go in and ask them if I may park here for the nite.But I do know where you're coming from though.FMASCA is so into safety but then if the driver pulls off on a ramp to sleep and that ramp hardly ever gets much traffic,the trk driver will get fined.Bet a car would'nt.So what does the law want the trk drivers to do if they are tired and truckstops are full do they want the trk drivers to keep on driving getting tireder and tireder looking for a safehaven because that officer would'nt let the driver sleep at that exit ramp.So far I have'nt had any issues with the law and if I am tired and I see a nice exit ramp that is calling my name,you bet your sweet azz i'm going to park there.

Those are some great points Patricia, I was also thinking that the private sector might pick up the slack if the rest stops were too few and far between. I know that I appreciate the large stops in IA and a couple other states where one can park and take care of many other things. Perhaps one of the major players will recognize the potential for providing service (and profit) in Indiana and build a new facility?

Those are some great points Patricia, I was also thinking that the private sector might pick up the slack if the rest stops were too few and far between. I know that I appreciate the large stops in IA and a couple other states where one can park and take care of many other things. Perhaps one of the major players will recognize the potential for providing service (and profit) in Indiana and build a new facility?

It's not that the major players haven't recognized this...it's our government has put in place major obstacles. The permit process makes it very difficult, and expensive, to pursue these endeavors.

-ss-

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread