Question for you wiggle wagon drivers.

Tim

U.S.Constitution
Something that I have noticed for years and years about doubles is that when one is loaded with Hazmat is it always the rear pup.
Beings I've never pulled double I've always wonder why carriers would load a Hazmat load on the rear pup and when something goes wrong 99.9% of the time the rear pup ends up in the ditch on its side.

Is this some kind of requirement?

Something that I have noticed for years and years about doubles is that when one is loaded with Hazmat is it always the rear pup.
Beings I've never pulled double I've always wonder why carriers would load a Hazmat load on the rear pup and when something goes wrong 99.9% of the time the rear pup ends up in the ditch on its side.

Is this some kind of requirement?

No. Just a coincidence.

The only thing that decides which trailer goes in front or back is the weight.

The heavier trailer always goes in front, in order to minimize the "crack the whip" effect.

When you take a whip, and you snap one end with your hand, ... you put a wave of energy into the whip. What starts out as your hand moving 2 feet up, then 2 feet back down (quickly), as it works it's way down to the end of the whip, the amplitude of the wave shrinks in height, so the energy converts from amplitude to frequency, resulting in a smaller, but faster wave, and if the whip is long enough, the tip breaks the speed of sound and makes that "snapping" sound.

On a truck pulling multiple trailers, if the driver initiates a "wave" by jerking the steering wheel to the right and then quickly back to the left, sort of the same thing will happen as that "wave" works it's way backwards through the rig.

Since the truck & trailers are too heavy for the frequency of the wave to increase as it progresses aft, the opposite ends up happening, and the amplitude increases. For every trailer you have, the amplitude of a 2 foot right/left wave will double with every pivot point. A truck pulling triples might have it's rear trailer end up moving 6 feet & back.

Having the lightest trailer in the back reduces the inertia and reduces how far it's going to swing into the next lane.

And as you already know, the heavier a trailer is, the more likely it will tip over if you're swerving around like a madman.

When a trailer is loaded, the loader doesn't have a clue as to who is pulling it and in what position it'll be in.

When I pulled them, I had hazmat in any and all positions.

Ditto. When I yanked doubles and triples, the train is built heavy to light. I have had hazmat in all positions also.

I did hear a "truck stop counter" type story at the Roadway terminal once.

Some guy said that he & his team driver were in Portland, OR & were given a load of some kind of radioactive material to haul back to Chicago. According to the story, it was heavier than the other trailer, but had to go in back because the radioactive material was giving off too many Geiger clicks to be hooked up close to the tractor.

The story the guy told also included mysterious black helicopters & SUVs following them around. :popcorn:

I have pulled A-trains and B-Trains. Weight is always on the lead, Given the opportunity to put a few small packages of hazmat it would be better put on the pup for access in the event of a spill or what not.

Like it was posted above only weight determines the lead except in the case of B- trains, The lead has to be loaded the heaviest. A-trains are interchangable, Unless you pull two lead B trains, They can be interchangable.

Rubber Duck said:
I did hear a "truck stop counter" type story at the Roadway terminal once.

Some guy said that he & his team driver were in Portland, OR & were given a load of some kind of radioactive material to haul back to Chicago. According to the story, it was heavier than the other trailer, but had to go in back because the radioactive material was giving off too many Geiger clicks to be hooked up close to the tractor.

The story the guy told also included mysterious black helicopters & SUVs following them around. :popcorn:

So, how many truck stops did they count anyway? I didn't realize that was an actual job.

Oh, what fun........
:eyeball: :eyeball:
Someday when I grow up, I wanna be a Truck Stop Counter.

That`s a fancy truck stop counter, The ones I go to don`t look anything like that. :)
Never, Ever sit at the counter! Only opiniated truckers sit there and me that gets to listen to it all. Yes I am opinionated but I don't have all day to tell these guys why they are wrong, See? lol. Take a booth, Eat your dinner and don't make eye contact. LOL.

Reactions: Tim
Nope... booths are always at least half full of locals and tourist types with several screaming rugrats and an ol lady bitchin about truck drivers. Ya know they've got a pretty sad life if "night out" is the local truckstop.

Nah, the counter is more fun. I can out-lie most of the "ustabe" an "wannabe" truckdrivers there. It's great fun to watch some "pimple-face" with a "trucker hat" trying to impress and hit on the waitress.

Small story here. Once upon a time at Dysarts in Bangor Me a cute lil waitress was being pestered by one of these. When he asked "Can I take you home" (ok, it was cruder than that) she pointed at me and said "No, he's doing that". Being a nice polite Canadian I played along to help her out. When I finished my meal (boy they was good back then) and got up to leave she grabs me an says "where you going?". Ummm... back to my truck? "Nono.... you said you was taking me home and he's still watching".

Damn woman near killed me. Couldn't walk right for near a week. Almost didn't take her up on the next several times.:)

Nope... booths are always at least half full of locals and tourist types with several screaming rugrats and an ol lady bitchin about truck drivers. Ya know they've got a pretty sad life if "night out" is the local truckstop.

Nah, the counter is more fun. I can out-lie most of the "ustabe" an "wannabe" truckdrivers there. It's great fun to watch some "pimple-face" with a "trucker hat" trying to impress and hit on the waitress.

Small example here: Once upon a time at Dysarts in Bangor Me a cute lil waitress was being pestered by one of these. When he asked "Can I take you home" (ok, it was cruder than that) she pointed at me and said "No, he's doing that". Being a nice polite Canadian I played along to help her out. When I finished my meal (boy they was good back then) and got up to leave she grabs me an says "where you going?". Ummm... back to my truck? "Nono.... you said you was taking me home and he's still watching".

Damn woman near killed me. Couldn't walk right for near a week. Almost didn't take her up on the next several times.:)

Fixed :rolllaugh:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom