Question for small fleet owners

Southern Fried

I always hear folks who are doing well with a truck of their own talking about buying several other trucks and hiring drivers for them and I ask one question..... Why????

Yeah, yeah.... I hear the "make more money" chant ringing in the background. But lets just think about this a minute. What's the most common complaint of fleets these days? High maintenance costs of the post EGR trucks and equipment, high downtime of same and of course the kicker "It's sooo hard to find good drivers these days". Is it really a good investment of the hefty cash you'll be tying up for the next several years? Are you going to wind up running your butt off trying to make up for the losses of having a marginal driver or two in your fleet in stead of relaxing a bit and being able to take a week off or two with your own paid-off truck?

It would seem to me to be a far more equitable investment to obtain your own authority, spend a year or two running off load boards, finding yourself a reliable customer or two and then building yourself a "fleet" of folks who own their equipment and would like to run off your authority. This way you don't have money tied up in rolling stock. You get proven drivers who know how to work because they have "skin in the game" and experience. And, if things "Go South" for whatever reason you are not stuck with a bunch of vehicles that you'll have to sell off for pennies on the dollar.

But, if it's simply an ego thing, then you'd be far ahead to just invest in a super fancy paint job and hire a PR person to get your pic in all the truck mags, etc. ;)

So whatcha got to say about that???? :D

The most critical factor in deciding what you wanna do is.... Where you wanna end up.

The long term goals will determine paths you can take to get there.

Company driver,
Owner Operator,
Small Fleet,
Large Fleet,
Mega....

My thoughts on the company driver and single truck O/O are.... They ain't much different. Both are bound by the truck. Earning comes from turning. The only difference is if you own the truck you don't get the watch when you retire.

The last three are self explanatory. You can purchase any one of them or you can build a business yourself.

Having multiple trucks has a lot of benefits as well as migraines. Like it or not... Every load hauled is mileage based. If one truck runs 10,000 mm(miles/month) then 6 can run 60,000. If the one driver takes two weeks off his earnings get cut in half. If one truck out of 6 takes 2 weeks off.... 55,000 mm. From there it's simple math. Trucks can be maintained because there is always working capitol. The more trucks in the fleet the more capital.

There will always be issues when looking for hired help. Applicants will always portray themselves as the only viable employee you need consider. You only find out afterwards if you need to improve on your skills or you hired the right person.

Forming a company with like minded truck drivers??? You can't be serious.

The most critical factor in deciding what you wanna do is.... Where you wanna end up.

The long term goals will determine paths you can take to get there.

Company driver,
Owner Operator,
Small Fleet,
Large Fleet,
Mega....

My thoughts on the company driver and single truck O/O are.... They ain't much different. Both are bound by the truck. Earning comes from turning. The only difference is if you own the truck you don't get the watch when you retire.

The last three are self explanatory. You can purchase any one of them or you can build a business yourself.

Having multiple trucks has a lot of benefits as well as migraines. Like it or not... Every load hauled is mileage based. If one truck runs 10,000 mm(miles/month) then 6 can run 60,000. If the one driver takes two weeks off his earnings get cut in half. If one truck out of 6 takes 2 weeks off.... 55,000 mm. From there it's simple math. Trucks can be maintained because there is always working capitol. The more trucks in the fleet the more capital.

There will always be issues when looking for hired help. Applicants will always portray themselves as the only viable employee you need consider. You only find out afterwards if you need to improve on your skills or you hired the right person.

Forming a company with like minded truck drivers??? You can't be serious.

Actually, over the years I've seen companies built both ways. Both took a lot of sweat and hard work and were ultimately successful. However, I realize that conditions are different nowadays.

But like mindedness? I maintain this would be a much easier thing to obtain with a complete O/O operation. Tell me how I'm wrong.

Actually, over the years I've seen companies built both ways. Both took a lot of sweat and hard work and were ultimately successful. However, I realize that conditions are different nowadays.

But like mindedness? I maintain this would be a much easier thing to obtain with a complete O/O operation. Tell me how I'm wrong.
Lol! Ok.

Nobody can do it right but me.
It's my way or no way.

Those two sound familiar? I believe many of us who aspire to independence or shoot for loftier goals have determined the path we take thru our own methods of research. I, for one, am extremely stubborn once I've chosen a path and I don't believe I'm alone in that. Swaying me to a change would require an act of God and all heavens angels. And even then it'd be tough to change course.

My experiences working with "like minded" folks...has led to mistrusting others that are in a position to harm the business and my family; one partner was caught dealing drugs, another stole from the business and attempted to run me over.

Me? I'll take my chances alone and except the successes or failures as my own.

Lol! Ok.

Nobody can do it right but me.
It's my way or no way.

Those two sound familiar? I believe many of us who aspire to independence or shoot for loftier goals have determined the path we take thru our own methods of research. I, for one, am extremely stubborn once I've chosen a path and I don't believe I'm alone in that. Swaying me to a change would require an act of God and all heavens angels. And even then it'd be tough to change course.

My experiences working with "like minded" folks...has led to mistrusting others that are in a position to harm the business and my family; one partner was caught dealing drugs, another stole from the business and attempted to run me over.

Me? I'll take my chances alone and except the successes or failures as my own.

Ok, that's cool. I do understand betrayal, believe me I do.

But......

That wasn't the question really. Still waiting for an experienced answer.

I don't have enough experience to tell you you're wrong.

I'll wait with you....

Oh, I may very well be wrong. It does happen once in awhile. I think the last time was around 1993.... but I could be wrong about that. :D

Did you bring snacks? We might be here for awhile. ;)

Oh, I may very well be wrong. It does happen once in awhile. I think the last time was around 1993.... but I could be wrong about that. :D

Did you bring snacks? We might be here for awhile. ;)
You too?

Sucks to be right ALL THE FRICKEN TIME ....doesn't it!

I got so tired of being right once that I tried being wrong...I was right, they knew I did it.

Wait...that there is wrong....

Veggies and dip? Or the stuff that's good for us?

You too?

Sucks to be right ALL THE FRICKEN TIME ....doesn't it!

I got so tired of being right once that I tried being wrong...I was right, they knew I did it.

Wait...that there is wrong....

Veggies and dip? Or the stuff that's good for us?

I never do what's good for me. That would be wrong,right???

Of course, sometimes wrong is right and right is wrong but you gotta be sure it's the right wrong or that will be wrong and nothin's right. Fortunately, I'm near perfect at finding the right wrongs to be right about. Is that so wrong?

BTW, the pickle is mine.

Play chess?

I enjoy the tranquility of the game.... The 4 move check mate, or spending hours playing out the many scenarios to achieve the win.

Great way to wile away the hours....

.... Care for a game while we wait?

How bout poker? Lessee... I'll throw away 2 aces and 2 kings and only keep the ace of hearts. Draw 4 cards. Awwwww, lookit that now. Drew king of hearts, queen of hearts, jack of hearts and 10 of hearts. Oh.... I'm sorry.... was that your lunch money? :leer:

Never Have a Werner Fleet lol. Their still paying off their trucks as I hear they have w900's and Peterbilt 379 and since they have 9000 trucks most not on the road their not making any money. Like DubbleD said long term goals, Mega,Small, O/O or Cd and you also wanna think about who you hire because some people will say their making the most money for your company but really arent.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread