Operation Safe Driver Week 2023: A Unified Initiative for Safer Roads

young-female-driver-holding-a-smart-phone-with-co-2021-10-06-09-53-10-utc.JPG

The Commercial Vehicle Safety Alliance (CVSA) has once again announced the arrival of its annual Operation Safe Driver Week, scheduled to run from July 9 to July 15, 2023. This proactive initiative aims to increase awareness among commercial and passenger vehicle drivers about safe driving practices, in an effort to minimize roadway incidents and fatalities.

The Operation Safe Driver Program was created by CVSA to reduce the number of deaths and injuries from crashes involving large trucks, buses, and passenger vehicles due to unsafe driving behaviors. The initiative involves law enforcement agencies across North America and is a pivotal part of the CVSA's ongoing commitment to improving road safety.

Every year, the Safe Driver Week targets a specific area of concern. This year's focus is on "Distracted Driving," a pertinent issue that has significantly contributed to the rising number of accidents on our roads. Distracted driving encompasses a range of behaviors from texting and talking on cellphones to eating, talking to passengers, or using a navigation system while driving.

According to a report by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), distracted driving claimed 3,142 lives in the United States in 2019 alone. It is thus a matter of vital importance to educate drivers about the potential dangers of distracted driving, and Operation Safe Driver Week aims to do just that.

During this week, enforcement personnel will step up their monitoring efforts, identifying and addressing drivers engaging in risky behaviors. There will be an increase in traffic safety patrols and roadside inspections. Drivers found exhibiting unsafe behaviors will be pulled over and may receive a warning or citation.

However, enforcement is just one aspect of this initiative. Education is a major part of Operation Safe Driver Week. The CVSA is offering various learning resources and interactive activities designed to increase awareness and knowledge about safe driving practices.

Participating organizations will host safety events promoting driver education, sharing safety materials and hosting workshops. The aim is not only to correct poor driving behavior but also to foster a long-lasting understanding of the importance of safety on our roads.

Drivers are encouraged to participate in the program by pledging to drive distraction-free, sharing their commitment on social media, and spreading the word within their personal and professional networks.

As the CVSA President, John Samis, aptly stated, "Roadways are a shared resource. Everyone traveling on them has a personal responsibility to operate their vehicle safely. The goal of Operation Safe Driver Week is not about the number of citations issued but about creating an understanding of the importance of safe driving."

We all share the road, and we all play a crucial role in ensuring it remains a safe space for everyone. Operation Safe Driver Week is an opportunity to reinforce that we each have a hand in reducing road incidents. As we approach this pivotal week, let us all pledge to make a conscious effort to drive safer, not just for ourselves, but for our fellow road users too.

Last edited by a moderator:
Glad I'm off this week.

Been wanting to post this about triangle placement that very few drivers get right (myself included).
And most will get out on their drivers side too.

On a divided highway most drivers will just place the three ten feet apart or so. But it should be...

On a divided highway proper placement is as follows:
  • One device 10-feet behind the truck
  • The second device 100-feet behind the truck
  • And the third device 200-feet behind the truck
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And I'm not sure I ever saw a driver get this right when on a two-lane road.

On a two-lane road (one lane in each direction) the proper placement of triangles is:

• One device 100-feet in front of the truck
  • The second device 10-feet behind the truck
  • And the third device 100-feet behind the truck

Last edited:
Glad I'm off this week.

Been wanting to post this about triangle placement that very few drivers get right.

On a divided highway most drivers will just place the three ten feet apart or so. But it should be...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On a two-lane road (one lane in each direction) the proper placement of triangles is:

Weird that I remember things like this. Like stopping at R/R grade crossings. No closer than 15' and no further than 50' from the closest rail.

Maybe this is why my PrePass tried to bring me in twice last night. The northbound scale was empty and I went in. The southbound scale had a line of slow movers all the way out to the main road. So, I blew it. All because one total douchebag can't maintain a 45mph speed. He was doing about 20. There are no LEO's in them at night anyway in FL. They sit inside the coop and yap until the automated alarm alerts them of an overweight truck on the scale.

Yup! Look both ways, open the door/window and have complete silence in the vehicle. Otherwise, the bus driver wouldn't move no matter how long it took.

Glad I'm off this week.

Been wanting to post this about triangle placement that very few drivers get right (myself included).

Damn that sounds like a lot of walking and then you got to walk back to get them too or just buy new ones.😰

Justifying the enforcement budget week. Cherry pick the junky looking trucks, declare a 80% OOS rate, scare the public and get your funding and job security.

They could pull these junk trucks over or in the scales all day every day and twice on Sunday, but they don't. They wait for the big media event to show they actually know how to inspect a truck and logs.

They impound equipment at the scales here if it's 50 percent out of adjustment. Apparently Ontario is the only jurisdiction in North America that does this. At least that's what one of the MTO officers told me.

Owners have to pay to fix it at the coop. The cops pull the plates and safety off and it's impounded for two weeks. Basically if you want your (usually trailer) back you have to pay all the fees for the impound and storage as well as starting over with new safety plates and all.

We pick up the impounded stuff at the scales locally and it's always fun when you see half or all the brake cans replaced then get it on the highway. Holy **** the brakes work NOW. 😂

I don't think some broad on her phone texting behind the wheel of a mini-van just screams "SAFETY"..

Then again it's 2023 nowadays so 2 be "Expected"..

I hate when Iphone people the head of the "Pack" at Red-Light "..

Before everybody"Honks" getting mad finally get messages thru leave rest of us stuck another cycle of "Red,-Lights" too..

How about put ya freaking "Phone Down" & Drive the Car..

Eh if it's that "Important" the next exit gas station or a rest area up the way "Pull In" shut car off " pull parking brake and then Now play with the phone all ya want okay

Nah that's just asking "Way Too Much" These Days I guess..

Last edited:
I don't think some broad on her phone texting behind the wheel of a mini-van just screams "SAFETY"..

Then again it's 2023 nowadays so 2 be "Expected"..

I hate when Iphone people the head of the "Pack" at Red-Light "..

Before everybody"Honks" getting mad finally get messages thru leave rest of us stuck another cycle of "Red,-Lights" too..

How about put ya freaking "Phone Down" & Drive the Car..

Eh if it's that "Important" the next exit gas station or a rest area up the way "Pull In" shut car off " pull parking brake and then Now play with the phone all ya want okay

Nah that's just asking "Way Too Much" These Days I guess..
Here lemme put this in "Trucking" Term..

Back at Grain Elevators driving old junk from late 80s / Mid 1990s Millions rolled over..

They were "Dogs" too old Frieghtshaker " Square Nosed..

That said when ya "Back Roadin" the DOT Scalehouses with 86 tons of Corn or Soybeans also was a "Company Rule" LOADED or ya pay the "Fine" too

Coming back "Empty" go over the scales all ya want...but hadda few "Wrecks" out by Beloit Wi/Rockford Illinois branch..

Started pulling each one of us in "Safety Inspection"..

The "lawsuit" dissipated or whatever eventually made a "Deal" with Penske Rental..

Still "owned" the trailer s but the TRACTORS were "Penske" Leasing "Contract" now..

Even a "Blown Tire" don't call the Office..

Mary tell ya look in your books find the 1-800 numbers and now "responsibility" of Leasing "Contact"..

Only "Call" for Trailers they still "owned" them still company responsible

Welp now that it's the 16th I can be unsafe again. Whew.
You wouldn't believe if if I had told ya so..

Too "Release" my "Road Rage" hadda start listening to Joel Osteen and become something of a member of "Lakewood Ministry" Houston Texas..

Sure I still get "Road Rage" sometimes & granted..

Yet I'm always trying 2 pray "Thank You" Dear Lord my Jeep is almost 10 years old starting 2 Rust..

But I "Thank You" gotta Good "Running" Vehicle & a Job 2 Drive It Too Everyday even "Saturdays" half day but "Over-Time"..

Ya know how many people would love your old "Rust-Bucket" just maybe"Starting " 1/8 a tank of gas and a "JOB" drive it too even "Happy" just sitting in the traffic

Dear Gosh I am so "Grateful "..

Technically the way I have lived my life I should be in a "Cemetery" or a Prison rest of my days..

But ya "choose" keep me out here "Fulfilling " some "Purpose " that I don't even have a freaking"Clue" what Is..

That said "I Thank Ya Dear Lord"🙏

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread