Motor Carrier O/O. Authority take a few loads from another authority

Rockie

I am O/O with my own authority. My old company I was leased to asked if I would run some of his loads. How does this work? Who's authority would I be running under. What should my pay be seems he is not a broker.

To the best of my knowledge, you would need to be leased to the carrier and have a copy of this lease agreement in your truck.

His name and numbers on the truck, yours covered up.

You would need to be covered under their insurance.

You would really need to check with your insurance company about this as well. The last thing you want is to do something that violates your insurance company’s policies.

Don't some people do this all the time! I mean other carriers loads.

I did some reading up on this, and yes it does happen. Just not 100% positive on how to do it without getting in trouble.

If you are hauling someone elses load, what happens in the event of a claim? Your cargo/liability isn't going to cover it. If you aren't on their insurance, they won't cover it. Just have to make sure all your bases are covered here in the event of something not going smoothly.

And what about the pay. If he doesn't pass the money straight through his company to me he would be brokering. So I'm thinking that the only way to do this without any red flags would be if he had a brokers license also. Do you agree.

I don’t know much about trip leases but would that be a viable option?
Or you do them direct for his customer and then pay him a fee.

you can do it under your own authority under a "Master Trip lease" agreement.

Also use your own name on the truck

I used to have 4 or 5 guys under me doing it for years with no problem

They had their name on their truck and I got the work,and I paid them and sent them a 1099

a potential problem is if you have a accident and your insurance company is different than theirs.Their broker don`t have your insurance info or know you are doing it.

get in touch with OOIDA complaisance dept and they will send you the documents in a word format and you can edit it as you please

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread