Trucking Regulations: FMCSA Defends Hours Of Service Changes In Current Lawsuit.

Mike

On Tuesday, Jan. 18, FMCSA filed its response brief with the U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia regarding a lawsuit filed by the International Brotherhood of Teamsters and several safety groups. The lawsuit says FMCSA’s rule changes weakened the hours-of-service regulations and will negatively affect highway safety.

“The incremental changes to the hours-of-service rules challenged here reflect FMCSA’s weighting of scientific evidence and its careful consideration of the potential impacts on driver health and safety,” the agency wrote in its respondent brief. “The current rule does not alter the length of time a driver may drive, and it generally requires a 30-minute break after eight hours of driving.”

Petitioners in the lawsuit are the Teamsters, Advocates for Highway and Auto Safety, the Citizens for Reliable and Safe Highways, and Parents Against Tired Truckers.

I feel less tired because I'm not stressing over the logs as much.

I was actually thinking about this today before reading this news article.

It is really nice to have 8 hours of driving available from the time you start your day, which doesn't get cut into each time you stop for a short break.

Stress has also been removed by the ability to extend the 14 hour clock when you sit for a couple hours somewhere. I was initially against this rule, but have seen the benefit of it since it was enacted. I won't use it to extend a day if I am tired.

I was actually thinking about this today before reading this news article.

It is really nice to have 8 hours of driving available from the time you start your day, which doesn't get cut into each time you stop for a short break.

Stress has also been removed by the ability to extend the 14 hour clock when you sit for a couple hours somewhere. I was initially against this rule, but have seen the benefit of it since it was enacted. I won't use it to extend a day if I am tired.
Exactly I don't work any longer than before. I just don't have to sit and twiddle my thumbs while staring at a clock...or before crawl the yard at less than 5mph praying I don't trigger the drive line.

My days actually get a little shorter as a result.

Sometimes I don't need a full 30 at all because the little on duties delay the deadline.

Getting out and walking around can rejuvenate you just like sitting at a dead stop can. Sometimes more.

Nothing says you can't take an actual parked 30 or more like before.

BTW this lawsuit basically proves FMCSA correct that drivers don't have the capacity to be responsible for their own actions. This lawsuit makes drivers sound like they're not capable of stopping when they're tired just because the computer says they don't have do. They're just that stupid.

The new rules give us more freedom. There's no requirement to use it.

I don't remember them fighting against the ELD, but they may have. I do remember them fighting against the ELD mandate being delayed.
Yeah I don't remember exactly how it went down but they were like oooo we can't work with this we're special don't make us use it (yet).

Now they get more freedom than they had before and they're still bitching.

Unless it was the companies not the teamsters who were bitching about the ELD itself.

The new rules give us more freedom. There's no requirement to use it.

I think the teamsters are fighting it over concern that companies will pressure drivers into extending their clocks.

Also, this rule basically prevents a local delivery driver from having a forced 30 minute break because the on duty time continually extends their 8 hour clock.

Basically old rules force the teamsters to fight for thinks rather than relying on rules to cover them.

I think the teamsters are fighting it over concern that companies will pressure drivers into extending their clocks.

Also, this rule basically prevents a local delivery driver from having a forced 30 minute break because the on duty time continually extends their 8 hour clock.

Basically old rules force the teamsters to fight for thinks rather than relying on rules to cover them.
Yeah all they have to do is say no. I mean it's a freaking union.

I never had trouble telling both non-union megas no, and there was no one having my back when I did so.

Grow a spine, drivers.

Grow a spine, drivers.
I get it, I've always said it here on the forum.

Being honest, though, I always expected these rule changes to get reversed. If it weren't for the supply chain being a disaster for shippers and receivers, I definitely think they would get reversed.

I get it, I've always said it here on the forum.

Being honest, though, I always expected these rule changes to get reversed. If it weren't for the supply chain being a disaster for shippers and receivers, I definitely think they would get reversed.
The supply chain fiasco is why they were implemented in the first place.

But I'm loving it. Especially with a day cab when I can't just pull over and camp wherever.

I may not deliberately work more than before but that doesn't mean shit doesn't happen every now and then.

I mean you know it's good when you used to keep the ELD screen front and center to watch the timers, and now you can have the app minimized with your GPS and load board prioritized.

The supply chain fiasco is why they were implemented in the first place.

Yes, but not at the extent that it is messed up now, and it was implemented via the previous administration. Current administration would love to side with the teamsters and put public pressure on reversing these rules, but knows what it would do to the supply chain. If freight was slow right now, you would be seeing pressure from the White House in favor of going back to the old rules.

Yes, but not at the extent that it is messed up now, and it was implemented via the previous administration. Current administration would love to side with the teamsters and put public pressure on reversing these rules, but knows what it would do to the supply chain. If freight was slow right now, you would be seeing pressure from the White House in favor of going back to the old rules.
No disagreement here. Sad that HOS has become political.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread