Class A CDL But, zero experience

tarheel59

Hi, I have a valid Class A CDL but, absolutely zero experience. I graduated from truck driving school in 2009. A long time ago. What options would I have if I decide to go through training. I know some companies have refresher courses. I don't think it would be enough time for me. Any opinions, input would be appreciated. Thanks

Hi, I have a valid Class A CDL but, absolutely zero experience. I graduated from truck driving school in 2009. A long time ago. What options would I have if I decide to go through training. I know some companies have refresher courses. I don't think it would be enough time for me. Any opinions, input would be appreciated. Thanks
you could either go back to your CDL school and see if they will re-train you for cheaper than the first time.

you could go to a trucking company that has CDL training, at least now, you already have the CDL, but i venture to guess you will still be paying, THEN working for x amount of time, until you fulfill that loan.

either way, you are paying a second time.

good luck

Contact your state to ensure you still have a CDL.

Starting In 2014, if you didn't keep your physical current, you may have been automatically downgraded in license.

You'll get a job at lower pay and mandatory training, with people constantly asking you wtf you've been doing all this time while raising an eyebrow.

Won't be the biggest deal in the world if you have a good legit story.

Before you spend any money at all, start calling carriers, and see what they will require. You haven't driven a truck in NINE years, and have ZERO experience. My guess is you'll have to go through training again. If you spend money on a refresher course, you may well find that it is wasted.

Contact your state to ensure you still have a CDL.

Starting In 2014, if you didn't keep your physical current, you may have been automatically downgraded in license.

This is definitely the first step. It's very possible your current license is no longer a CDL unless you have been getting physicals and submitting the information to the state to attach to your license info.

Thanks for the replies. I have a valid Class A CDL. I have DOT physical every 2 years. The company I drive for requires a Class B CDL. So I just kept the Class A. I have one job in the last nine years. Haven't been hiding or doing something very stupid. lol

your story seems confusing & mixed.
you have your DOT card, yet 1 job in 9 years from driving = minimal experience
IMO your chance of getting a driving job is right there with a new hire/newbie/greenhorn/POS

did I miss one ?

Thanks for the replies. I have a valid Class A CDL. I have DOT physical every 2 years. The company I drive for requires a Class B CDL. So I just kept the Class A. I have one job in the last nine years. Haven't been hiding or doing something very stupid. lol
you should have mentioned this in your first posting. i took it to mean, that since you graduated and GOT your CDL-A...you WERE NOT WORKING in ANY driving job.

i think a refresher course of about 40 hours should do you well enough.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread