Trucking Regulations: Can someone explain this HOS rule .

RamblingPete

Most ... Actually almost every single rule in trucking I can make an argument both for and against , so I can at least wrap my head around the logic , or illogical in some cases . But this rule I do not understand, or even why it's so complicated . 70/8 rule . Why is it not 70 / 7 ? I mean at least there'd be some sensible argument on both sides but 70 hours in 8 days is just always struck me as an irational rule to the tenth degree . I mean even when you understand that Politician, in general, have never worked an actual day of work their whole lives and think everyone lives like them ... Even they must get confused by this ignorant rule . I mean let's argue the average American works 8 hours a day and travel to and from work is 2 hours a day ( urban life Americans actually spend at least an hour more on average) . The total comes to 10 hours a day . Now since ObamaCare was past many Americans have two jobs since they need a second one to pay for the policy that Progressives all passed without ever reading ( any way getting off track here ) . So for Americans to work 70 hours a week ,with commute time , is just normal life .
So when you think about reality in America then why is the rule set up in such a way that doesn't reflect the reality of real Americans ?

Most ... Actually almost every single rule in trucking I can make an argument both for and against , so I can at least wrap my head around the logic , or illogical in some cases . But this rule I do not understand, or even why it's so complicated . 70/8 rule . Why is it not 70 / 7 ? I mean at least there'd be some sensible argument on both sides but 70 hours in 8 days is just always struck me as an irational rule to the tenth degree . I mean even when you understand that Politician, in general, have never worked an actual day of work their whole lives and think everyone lives like them ... Even they must get confused by this ignorant rule . I mean let's argue the average American works 8 hours a day and travel to and from work is 2 hours a day ( urban life Americans actually spend at least an hour more on average) . The total comes to 10 hours a day . Now since ObamaCare was past many Americans have two jobs since they need a second one to pay for the policy that Progressives all passed without ever reading ( any way getting off track here ) . So for Americans to work 70 hours a week ,with commute time , is just normal life .
So when you think about reality in America then why is the rule set up in such a way that doesn't reflect the reality of real Americans ?
If you think the 70 is illogical now, you should have had to deal with it before the 34 came to be.

It's really that I don't understand why it's spread across 8 days . A work week ... Or hell just a week , is 7 days . Furthermore people work overtime all the time , it's not unusual. So in theory , you can only drive 7.75 hours a day with one fuel stop and both pretrip and post trip . Whereas if it was set up rationally to reflect the world we live you you'd be allowed up to 1.5 hours overtime every day . ( That is if they made the work week for us the same as the rest of the universe )

For a week it is 60 hours of you are a 6 day dispatch, 7 day a week dispatch gets 70.

It was designed to give folks a day off. Without a 34 restart it is a huge PIA.

For a week it is 60 hours of you are a 6 day dispatch, 7 day a week dispatch gets 70.

It was designed to give folks a day off. Without a 34 restart it is a huge PIA.
Not really.

If you're running on recap hours, just take a day off. Your hours roll over at midnight, and add onto whatever balance you have going forward. As long as you're only burning between 8 and 9 hours per day, one usually has more than enough hours floating around to take care of things, especially if you run at night when rollover happens.

Well, they did originate about the same time Reefer Madness was made.
The way they do the 70 and the 14 have ruined way more plans than any other. The 11 and 10 don't really bother me. Even running Canada I don't do much more than that lest it's a must be there situation.

Not really.

If you're running on recap hours, just take a day off. Your hours roll over at midnight, and add onto whatever balance you have going forward. As long as you're only burning between 8 and 9 hours per day, one usually has more than enough hours floating around to take care of things, especially if you run at night when rollover happens.
I bet the cell phone companies think they were the ones who invented rollover minutes.

But this rule I do not understand

The way it was explained to me.....

The fundamental theorem of differentiation and integration of the 60/7 & 70/8, showing that these two operations are essentially inverses of one another. Before the discovery of this , it was not recognized that these two operations were related. Ancient Greek mathematicians knew how to compute it via infinitesimals, an operation that we would now call integration. The origins of differentiation likewise predate the Fundamental Theorem by hundreds of years; for example, in the fourteenth century the notions of continuity of functions and motion were studied by the Oxford Calculators and other scholars. The historical relevance of the Fundamental Theorem is not the ability to calculate these operations, but the realization that the two seemingly distinct operations are actually closely related.... (that is 60/7, 70/8.)

:rolllaugh3:
No but seriously @Tazz pretty much summed it. Some operations basically run 6 days a week others 7

let me sober up

The way it was explained to me.....

The fundamental theorem of differentiation and integration of the 60/7 & 70/8, showing that these two operations are essentially inverses of one another. Before the discovery of this , it was not recognized that these two operations were related. Ancient Greek mathematicians knew how to compute it via infinitesimals, an operation that we would now call integration. The origins of differentiation likewise predate the Fundamental Theorem by hundreds of years; for example, in the fourteenth century the notions of continuity of functions and motion were studied by the Oxford Calculators and other scholars. The historical relevance of the Fundamental Theorem is not the ability to calculate these operations, but the realization that the two seemingly distinct operations are actually closely related.... (that is 60/7, 70/8.)

:rolllaugh3:
No but seriously @Tazz pretty much summed it. Some operations basically run 6 days a week others 7

let me sober up
But... but... but wouldn't comparing the 60/7 and 70/8 be akin to comparing integrating 2 dimensional vs 3 dimension functions???:confused-96:

Perhaps, depends on the subset postulates.
Don't fergit th' consequences of th' instantaneous reaction to initial conditions, or th' steady-state response produced by th' forcin' function. That's assuming a continuous state where a Fourier Transform is applicable. Now if yer talking a discrete analysis an' a sampled system, why that right there's a whole different ballgame, an' we'll have ta git out a Z Transform.

:toothpick:

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread