Before I take the truck the to shop again...

Bored Insane

I have 2 error code on my FL Cascadia (AKA POS) 2012, DD15. one is NOX conversion rate low and other is DEF quality. (SPN 4364 fail18 and SPN 3364 fail2).

I've seen this resolve with (I assume ECM) software update, and on the net, I've read reports that solution could be as bad as replacing the one box at +10K.

So, before I take it to my favorite FL dealership (or should I take it to more technically competent competitor?) Is there any thing I should try in order to resolve it myself?

I know that this POS, I mean FL won't clear faults on its own and I can't force regen w/o a repair computer. The code came up when I was heavy w/ load and climbing up the hill (grapevine, CA).

If the fault is the one box, then I'm pretty much done trucking.

Sorry to say it's the shop for this one man. And yes your worst case is a one box...but they need to do all the other testing as well...if you have to do a one box it's closer to 20k by the time it's said and done. Make damn sure to ask for policy as Freightliner knows they have a problem with the one box.

Sorry to say it's the shop for this one man. And yes your worst case is a one box...but they need to do all the other testing as well...if you have to do a one box it's closer to 20k by the time it's said and done. Make damn sure to ask for policy as Freightliner knows they have a problem with the one box.
Thanks. I assume you mean (policy is) warranty and things.

@r3gulator3 , some of the guys in the net says just drive it until DPF filter is changed. This code doesn't hurt the engine or derate it. Is this correct?

Thanks.

That's one option, but eventually it will derate. Maybe better and less expensive to check it out sooner than later.

Policy is a request that can be made by the repair facility to Freightliner to pay for some of if not all of the repair. One box will usually get you partial coverage, sometimes totally covered.

The 4364 is telling you your NOx conversion is bad and your 3364 is saying your def fluid is contaminated...list of things that can cause this.

Def tank empty even though your gauge shows there is some in the tank.

Adding anything other than def to the def tank.

Skewed NOx sensors.

Bad DOC and or SCR catalyst (one box.)

Your most likely problem is the first two I mentioned. I have seen guys get contaminated bulk def at truck stops because the newbie put additive in the bulk tank so it wouldn't gel but that is very uncommon. The gauge will hang up in those tanks and you run out of def but there's still enough in the pump to make a pressure reading so it will try to dose. But. Within 40 engine hours of that fault you will be derated to idle speed if you don't correct the problem. If you have an empty def tank those faults will clear themselves after 4 warm up cycles. If filling the tank solves the problem. If it's contaminated. That's a 6 hours of system cleaning and testing to make sure everything still works

Thanks for the additional info. I filled the tank after 50 to 100 miles on half tank full. It is possible to have contaminated DEF (because the code came up soon after I filled it). I would like to think it's dirty or bad sensor first, but what do I know. I tend to think it's the last 2 you mentioned.

Thanks again for the help, I will probably take it to the FL dealership tomorrow. I drove 200 miles empty and dropped my next load to take the truck to local place anyway.

I say that (above) because I heard 2 to 4 drivers that had this problem say they tried flushing out tanks and replacing sensors. I think 2 of them solved it with updating the 'software'. Not sure what happened to the rest. Most of them were company drivers so they didn't care much about the cost of repair, just down time. And some of them had newer truck, only one or two years old that have this problem.

Make sure you ask about remanufactured parts as well. That can hold down the repair cost.

Open the def tank..smell it..if you smell amonia and the fluid looks clear..start chasing sensors. If it's milky or pink or yellow and smells like antifreeze or paint thinner it's definitely contaminated.

Open the def tank..smell it..if you smell amonia and the fluid looks clear..start chasing sensors. If it's milky or pink or yellow and smells like antifreeze or paint thinner it's definitely contaminated.

Ahhh, the smell of **** in the morning! Seriously though, if it's just flushing out the tank and put in new DEF, it'll make my day.

You have to drain the tank, clean out remove pump filter, install the cap remove all outlet lines fill def tank with water and force a prime like 5-6 times to flush the pump unit. Then clean def lines to doser. Install everything. Fill with def. Then run forced Regen followed by a SCR efficiency test (Regen 40-60 min scr efficiency 80-120 min) then road test while monitoring reduction to ensure everything is working properly.

You have to drain the tank, clean out remove pump filter, install the cap remove all outlet lines fill def tank with water and force a prime like 5-6 times to flush the pump unit. Then clean def lines to doser. Install everything. Fill with def. Then run forced Regen followed by a SCR efficiency test (Regen 40-60 min scr efficiency 80-120 min) then road test while monitoring reduction to ensure everything is working properly.
If only I could force regen w/ the computer. Can anyone purchase the link unit and the software? I assume they check if you are certified mechanic or a legit repair shop...

If only I could force regen w/ the computer. Can anyone purchase the link unit and the software? I assume they check if you are certified mechanic or a legit repair shop...
Pretty sure anyone can buy it but it's Expensive as hell...Detroit software is like 6k. Then 300 for laptop and 1200 for nexiq link and software.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread