Algae in the Fuel

Injun

Rabid Squaw
Premium
I was notified by one of the places I fuel at that they found algae in their fuel. Is there some fuel additive I should use to prevent any trouble in my own system? What are some symptoms to watch out for? Any other information on this is appreciated.

Yeah, I know it would be funny as hell, but I already know better than to add amonia to my tanks.

Frequently Asked Questions About Diesel Fuel Problems

1. What is diesel fuel "algae"?

Algae are a life form found in water, similar to algae growing in an aquarium. Algae do not live in fuel and it requires sunlight to grow. For years, people have been referring to tank sludge and the jelly, slime and other contaminants found in fuel filters as “algae”. The colloquialism “diesel fuel algae” is widely used and understood. However, there is no relationship between the “algae” growing in your aquarium and the sludge “growing” (forming) in your fuel tank and showing up on your filter elements.
There are three basic areas of concern about contaminants in fuel and oil:
1. Water
2. Inorganic debris (sand, dust, rust, etc.)
3. Organic debris (fuel breakdown products and waste products of fuel deterioration and re-polymerization)

The organic debris represents more than 90% of all contaminants found in fuels and oil. It is this organic debris, the sludgy, slimy, acidic material that people refer to as “diesel fuel algae”. It could also be called a polymer, tar, wax or asphalt!

How to Remove Algae in Diesel Fuel Tanks | eHow.com

[h=1]How to Remove Algae in Diesel Fuel Tanks[/h]
Diesel tanks have a tendency to attract algae if the tank is allowed to sit for an extended period of time without being filled. This is partially due to the nature of diesel fuel. Algae presents a real problem, as normal diesel engines cannot burn it for fuel, and it can clog the fuel filter, causing hesitation and engine stalling. To remove it, you'll need a commercially available diesel fuel tank cleaner.

I guess you just buy some kinda crap in a bottle & dump it in your tanks.

try some motor cote fuel treatment there are two types I forget which one is stronger, buy several extra filters as this stuff really works good, the first time I used it,it only took 2000 miles before I had to change filters and 5000 before I changed then again. it will clean your entire fuel system pretty quick.

You have to kill the critters. One of the best products is FPPF Killem. It is serious stuff that will knock the snot out of whatever is feeding and growing in fuel tanks. Low dosage product that is very cost effective. It doesn't have any other purpose but a biocide, unlike a lot of other products that will put biocide in their normal fuel treatment stuff to just increase the cost and you have to use a large portion. A 16 oz bottle of Killem will last for a long time.

You kill the source, then you have to determine if the tanks then need cleaned out. If you catch it early, there is no need to drain tanks and such. You might need to replace a couple of fuel filters earlier than normal because the residue is plugging them. If you have a real mess on your hands, then those fuel tanks, lines, etc are going to have to be scrubbed out. Most folks don't get that far before they know they have a problem.

Since you mention prevention, then Killem is your ticket. A couple of ounces in each tank at first, then follow up with a couple ounces once a month and you should never have a problem. And don't get anymore fuel where there is a chance of a problem.

Duck is right, it's not algae. It's tar or also called aspertane (SP?). It's very common in warmer weather when you keep just a little fuel in your tanks. Best thing to do is fill up if you can. That always works for me. The second full tank and my problem is gone.

And don't get anymore fuel where there is a chance of a problem.

The way I see it, if that fuel supplier stepped up to the plate & admitted they found algae in their storage tanks, and notified their customers about it, they would also be taking steps to correct it.

I'd give them a while to make sure their tanks are clean & then resume normal fuel purchases with them.

How many businesses would tell their customers that they were sold crappy fuel?

Girly has not shown any symptoms of trouble since yesterday morning during warm-up. The usually smooth running ISX acted like a Ford 460 with an oversized cam shaft and retarded timing. It did that for about two minutes and then smoothed out. Ambient temperature was about 40°F, so gelling was not a contributor.

Carry a lot of fuel filters and the tools to change them... You will be needing them. If I remember I'll look and see what my dad used on his truck, it's still in the side box.

algae may have come from the terminal where the fuel was originally loaded and just passed on to your supplier. in the last year i know of two major terminals that i pull from that some storage tanks were shut down for a month because of this.

This can be a big problem for the fuel system. If you have a cold.

You have to clean tanks and replacement filters. You can ask the agent for the fuel in the store. I do not know what in the United States. Clean fuel and this tool will be good.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread