2007 freightliner Columbia coolant leak

chris mitchell

I own a 2007 freight liner Columbia I pour antifreeze in the reservoir and when I drive about an hour or two the bucket is empty. Is this the sign of a bad egr cooler? HELP PLEASE

I own a 2007 freight liner Columbia I pour antifreeze in the reservoir and when I drive about an hour or two the bucket is empty. Is this the sign of a bad egr cooler? HELP PLEASE

It could be a dozen things. Are you finding any puddles under the truck?

Have you done an oil sample to see if there is coolant there.? have you done a coolant sample to see if there is oil there? Have you done a fuel sample to see if there is coolant there?

which engine have you actually got?

All fluids are clean I have a Detroit series60 there's NO LEAKS ANYWHERE AND TRUCK DOESNT RUN HOT JUST CHECK ENGINE /engine protect lights come on. I was told it was the egr cooler

who told you it was an egr cooler? It would be out of the ordinary if it were. So I wouldn't rule it out. Just so many other variables to rule out as well.

Do you have liquid running down your stack? If so, likely a cracked head. Been there, done that.

Took to a shop
If you don't trust the shop, take it to another for a second opinion. But it sounds reasonable. Personally, I'd have them show me on the truck how they determined it was the cooler. Any reputable shop would honor that request.

Beyond that, I won't say much more. Don't know your comfort level or skill level with maintenance and engines.

Last edited:
Did you try idling the truck for an hour or so and check for leaks. Without the truck moving the engine should heat up.

Yes! @Skateboard

Those things leak bad oil
WTF are you talking about? DD15s are pretty tight engines with very few to no external oil leaks. Besides that, this thread isn't about oil anyway. It's about coolant.

Have you had your 15th birthday yet?

WTF are you talking about? DD15s are pretty tight engines with very few to no external oil leaks. Besides that, this thread isn't about oil anyway. It's about coolant.

Have you had your 15th birthday yet?

Im trying to be the top poster Im just going around replying not reading things

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread