Some Cool New Features Are Almost Available

Mike

Well, I think they are cool anyway.

For some of this, I am hoping that we can grow a team of contributors.

Our forum software has a new release available, though only in beta stage currently. That said, I have never waited for a safe full release before upgrading.

As with every time I do this, current add-ons will be temporarily disabled because I refuse to wait for all add-on developers to decide whether they want to support the new version or not. Things like the awesome ignore will disappear. Ignore will still work, but it will work the way the default software has it set up to work. A few other minor things will disappear for a while as well.

The only add-on I won't be disabling is the groups add-on. If they break once the installation is done, they will simply become forums and we will move forward from there.

The new things

For those that visit the media gallery, expect a visual upgrade when viewing the gallery. You will notice it once it happens.

Articles: For those what would like to do more sometimes that make a really long post, we will now have the capability for posting articles within the forum. Selecting "article" rather than "thread" will provide additional formatting options and it will post differently. Not sure how I will roll this out, whether I will make current forums accept new articles, or create an area specifically for articles.

Questions: Members will have the option to create question threads. These will be set up where members can vote on the best answers, and place the best answer at the top. Works better with more members, but we will get there.

Guest posting: People who aren't registered will have the option to respond to a thread, at which point there will be taken to the option to register in order for their thread to show. Might provide incentive to join.

Progressive Web App: For those not on an Iphone, you will have the option to save the site to your phone as an app. Someday, Iphone may catch up to the real world and have this as well.

Other things such an improved editor, the ability for me to combine some forums where the latest posts will be in one area, and possibly a way for me to enhance unanswered threads where they get noticed and responded to more. All sorts of other little upgrades that most won't notice but will benefit from.

I probably won't risk the first beta release, but will be upgrading soon. If this truck stop sells beer, we might be looking at the first beta here tonight, LOL.

The one feature I am excited about, if I can get member involvement is the ability to have "team" resources". Our resource section has the ability to be very useful/educational to truckers and those interested in trucking. It can be anything from step by step tutorials, informational pages, or any sort of information that benefits from being easy to update and to download if applicable. With growth, there is the ability to contribute things that could actually earn you money as well because it is set up to be compatible with a pay to view/download.

FYI, they sell beer here, and now we are on the 1st beta of the new software. Everything seems to be working though, outside of some server errors being created probably because I failed to have some things checked on the server for compatibility before upgrading. Either that, or I made a big mess.

That said, expect some weird stuff.

And, expect outages more frequently ( short ones) due to upgrades from one beta to the next.

Most add-ons will be brought back as they are tested for compatibility.

Oh, and we only have the default theme, but I expect the theme developers will have beta releases for their stuff soon, if not already. I'm just not tackling all that tonight.

If you are not in an iPhone and getting the prompt to save this site to your phone, feel free to do so. That is the progressive web app.

The editor thing is stupid. Lots of icons missing.
Actually there are more things. You just have to click on the three dots to see them. There are three sets of them that drop down more features. I’m not sure yet if there is an option that allows me to just show all of them or not.

Had some database errors coming at me at warp speed last night due to an issue with the search feature. Didn't have too much effect on the forum itself other than an "oops" notice that would pop up when creating a thread. That appears to be fixed now, so I can work on opening up the articles either onto one of the forums, or in their own individual forum. Also, I can tinker around with settings, such as the editor (if there are any) to see if I can make that more presentable.

Probably see a slightly different forum setup at some point as I work with one of the other new features as well.

For any of you that might use the conversations alot, we just got most of the additional features added back in, as that add-on developer is already upgrading his products for the new version of the software. Adds a ton of features to conversations that has been here for long time.

All the additional features we have made to bookmarks has now been updated as well. If you don't know what this is, you need to look into it.

• Share bookmarks
  • Per-content type permissions for using bookmarks (Supports; Posts/Profile posts/XFMG/XFRM)
  • Bookmark statistics
    • Recent bookmark counter
    • XF stats integration
  • Search bookmarks by multiple labels/tags
  • Most Bookmarked widget
  • Bookmarking for profile post/profile post comments
It's always nice to save posts that you want to go back to. The larger the forum gets, the harder it is to find stuff. This makes it easier.

Picture posting is more difficult. Used to be able to click post all pics full size. Now you have to edit each picture.

I also had trouble yesterday with it combining my posts. Put the text of a previous post with pics I posted later.

Definitely a step backwards in picture posting.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread