your thoughts on safety and ways to encourage compliance

gearjammer

jammer
my county recently go a grant to form a panel to identify and improve safety on the roads and highways in the area and I am going to be on the panel because of my experience and perspective in trucking.
a few of my many ideas on the identifying part is lack of use of turn signals, failure to dim headlights, headlights that need adjusting, aggressive driving ect I have a lot more I just used these as examples of what I am looking for.

the improvement part just to use an example would be a funded clinic where people can pull in and have their headlights adjusted for free but ask for donations to keep the clinic going.

what I am asking from the forum members is your thoughts and ideas so that I can take it to the group.

there will be a state representative in the group and there is a possibility that if we come up with something that will help improve safety this could go statewide.

I just used these examples to try to get a discussion going.

and PLEASE keep the bullshit away as the head of the panel said this has the potential to do a LOT of good I am a bit biased but believe truckers have a lot of input that could be of great value on this subject

Look at the road signs in intersections and how they seriously obstruct the vision of trucks.

If you stop where you are supposed to be behind the stop line, you can't see on coming traffic.

I have some roads I actually have crossed the fog lines due to signs blocking vision.

Jackson MN as you get off i90 westbound.

As you pull forward, the one way sign blends with the highway sign making traffic from the left blocked by the signs. I have had straight trucks hidden by these signs.

19956065_1628677550490452_7012541090954051430_o.jpg

Last edited:
Tailgating around my area is a serious issue. It’s something that has become a normal driving habit. I don’t think people are being aggressive on purpose it’s just how they drive. It’s absolutely annoying. I leave a big distance even when driving our little car.

I would also look at how intersections are laid out. We have one around here that encourages passing on the right. I’ll post it.

Tailgating around my area is a serious issue. It’s something that has become a normal driving habit. I don’t think people are being aggressive on purpose it’s just how they drive. It’s absolutely annoying. I leave a big distance even when driving our little car.
Nothing worse than a big rig doing that to a 4-wheeler, 3' off their bumper. For any tailgater it's a serious safety issue. Get the cops out of the donut shops, and onto the roads writing tickets for this.

Nothing worse than a big rig doing that to a 4-wheeler, 3' off their bumper. For any tailgater it's a serious safety issue. Get the cops out of the donut shops, and onto the roads writing tickets for this.

Happened to Sandy a few weeks ago. Dump truck, loaded down slam tight to her bumper. :rolleyes-80:

Last edited:

This, right here, is the biggest safety risk posed by trucks and 4 wheelers, in my not so humble opinion. Make a fine, and make it big enough that it hurts so bad a driver won't even consider tailgating again.

And yes, it makes me much more angry to see a truck driver doing this. Should know better.

From the start of one stripe to the start of the next is a design standard of 50'.

So for a safe following distance, you should have 5-7 lane stripes from you to the car in front of you for a safe following distance.

Last edited:
Not only should they know better from a safety stand point they’re acting against their own self interest.
That’s why I don’t like running in a pack, four wheelers OR other truckers. I’ll run with another trucker or a crew but not all bunched up. I usually run front door, but back door is important too

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread