Yet more random thoughts... put 'em here

I'm in a Facebook group for Ford N series tractors. Built from 1939 to like 1952 I think. America's most popular tractor. Lots of them still running.

They're 4 cylinder flat heads, 2300 RPM, low compression, 23 hp.

Some people put flathead V8's in them. No meth involved. It's mostly old guys with beards.

View attachment 50117

This one has a Cadillac engine.

View attachment 50118

Another guy had one with a 300 straight six and another one had a 2.3L 4 cyl out of a Ranger.

One guy had a 302 in his and said it was running over 100 mph. I don't know what they do to the trans to gear it up though.

Mine goes 9 mph.
Totally understandable. Its called either Frankenstein a tractor or go stark raving nutso - watching corn growing is that freakin' boring.

I'm in a Facebook group for Ford N series tractors. Built from 1939 to like 1952 I think. America's most popular tractor. Lots of them still running.

They're 4 cylinder flat heads, 2300 RPM, low compression, 23 hp.

Some people put flathead V8's in them. No meth involved. It's mostly old guys with beards.

View attachment 50117

This one has a Cadillac engine.

View attachment 50118

Another guy had one with a 300 straight six and another one had a 2.3L 4 cyl out of a Ranger.

One guy had a 302 in his and said it was running over 100 mph. I don't know what they do to the trans to gear it up though.

Those are some sweet field rides. They were the Model T of tractors. Cheap, simple, reliable, and as a result...plentiful.
Mine goes 9 mph.
Faster than my F250. 😏

I do love old tractors. But I said nitro meth. Like top fuel dragsters. They tweet the frick out of a Briggs and Stratton and chop the mower some and that sucker will do 90
I thought you were talking about crystal meth. 😆

Because who else would want to go 90 mph on a riding lawnmower? 🙄

When I was 13 or 14 I made a manifold to put a mikuni slide carburetor on a Briggs 5 hp on my friends go kart.

It went about 40-45 as opposed to its previous 30 or so.

After about an hour the connecting rod ended up embedded in the back of the seat.

Coincidentally the seat was made of 16 or 18 gauge steel. Otherwise Charlie mightve ended up in the ER.

I thought you were talking about crystal meth. 😆

Because who else would want to go 90 mph on a riding lawnmower? 🙄

When I was 13 or 14 I made a manifold to put a mikuni slide carburetor on a Briggs 5 hp on my friends go kart.

It went about 40-45 as opposed to its previous 30 or so.

After about an hour the connecting rod ended up embedded in the back of the seat.

Coincidentally the seat was made of 16 or 18 gauge steel. Otherwise Charlie mightve ended up in the ER.
Yeah they take that lawnmower racing seriously. Shotpeened rods, forged pistons high compression porting polishing. Frames are tube chassis like a go kart but the have to have a flat pan seat and a hood. It’s insane

My home town has an annual celebration ("Horse Thief Days"...a celebration of a local legend/famed horse thief, but about a half of a percent of residents could actually tell you that)...one of the main attractions is the "lawnmower races", especially the open modified class.
My one buddy wins it almost every year with a Simplicity riding mower outfitted with a 327 out of a '60s Vette.

My home town has an annual celebration ("Horse Thief Days"...a celebration of a local legend/famed horse thief, but about a half of a percent of residents could actually tell you that)...one of the main attractions is the "lawnmower races", especially the open modified class.
My one buddy wins it almost every year with a Simplicity riding mower outfitted with a 327 out of a '60s Vette.
didn't they used to hang horse thieves as well..??

seems to me, it's honoring a thief, that made peoples lives misearble, stealing something they needed to plow the fields or pull wagons (or both)...horse weren't cheap back in the day.

seems to me, it's honoring a thief, that made peoples lives misearble, stealing something they needed to plow the fields or pull wagons (or both)...horse weren't cheap back in the day.
Yeah, pretty much. In this case he was stealing from other areas and bringing them through my home town, so he was actually helping the local economy while hurting it elsewhere.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, pretty much. In this case he was stealing from other areas and bringing them through my home town, so he was actually helping the local economy while hurting it elsewhere.
and people that bought horse from him were just as culpaple as he was, in essence, accessories before and after the fact...

many times now, ( don't know back then) if you bought something from a thief, and later got caught, you not only lost what you bought, but your money as well.....

How about Alferd Packer Days? Celebration for an accused cannibal. People don't need much to tap a keg of beer, and start partying!

How about Alferd Packer Days? Celebration for an accused cannibal. People don't need much to tap a keg of beer, and start partying!
i had to look him up, i never heard of him...but that was different, they needed to stay alive..i think the same thing happened on the Donner Pass, and also in some foreign country where a plane crashed or something.

but stealing is totally different..

it costs the original owner and the one buying the stolen merchandise..

i think the cannabilism was done to those that were weak and dying......

or canadians, which deserved to be served up BBQ'd.....

i had to look him up, i never heard of him...but that was different, they needed to stay alive..i think the same thing happened on the Donner Pass, and also in some foreign country where a plane crashed or something.

but stealing is totally different..

it costs the original owner and the one buying the stolen merchandise..

i think the cannabilism was done to those that were weak and dying......

or canadians, which deserved to be served up BBQ'd.....
There's some question about whether dear ol' Alferd was really snowed in, falsely accused, or just had a taste for roast of fellow miner. They exhumed his "victims" some years ago, and the bones showed signs of butchering.

There's some question about whether dear ol' Alferd was really snowed in, falsely accused, or just had a taste for roast of fellow miner. They exhumed his "victims" some years ago, and the bones showed signs of butchering.
yeah, rather long read about him, i didn't get past the first by-line, i fell asleep.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread