winter's coming, time to stock up?

GAnthony

Go away
Premium
went to wally's world emporium this morning. , in the middle isle, wally's world has a new variety of Quaker oatmeal, Pumpkin Spice..

so i got a box of that and a couple of other flavors.

that time of year (or the beginning of it), where i load up on the usual wintry foods. soups especially.

next time, a box or 2 of grits.

yeah, a damned yankee.......having grits at breakfast (even sometimes, before bedtime) ......who woulda thunk it.

gotta have that hot breakfast.

went to wally's world emporium this morning. , in the middle isle, wally's world has a new variety of Quaker oatmeal, Pumpkin Spice..

so i got a box of that and a couple of other flavors.

that time of year (or the beginning of it), where i load up on the usual wintry foods. soups especially.

next time, a box or 2 of grits.

yeah, a damned yankee.......having grits at breakfast (even sometimes, before bedtime) ......who woulda thunk it.

gotta have that hot breakfast.
I love grits and pumpkin spice everything!

I love grits! 👍
Most people either love or hate grits there is no in-between.
Anyone that does not like grits can, well,....

View attachment 52147
I don't get the whole grits thing. It's just bland and flavorless ground up corn.

At least until you mix it 50/50 with sugar and then it's just diabetes on a plate.

when i first started driving, i was long haul as i had mentioned many times. this made me be able to have the different foods all across this country, other than the usual stuff i had at home.

for instance, i never had any cobbler pie, then my first cobbler was peach, and i wanted more.

grits was always offered at breakfast down south.

so i said to the waitress, "never had them what are they"?

she gave me a free bowl, but then i had to ask, "what do i put in it"? she said most people salt/pepper to taste and add butter...

i sucked that bowl down....!!!

so now come winter time, i do not buy the instant grits, i buy the grits that need to be boiled (as in the movie, My cousin Vinny)

every morning, it's either oatmeal or grits.

grits are as @Duck knows, mashed white corn, which does fill me up, along with my egg mc muffin sandwich.

Grits nutrition facts
  • Calories: 182.
  • Protein: 4 grams.
  • Fat: 1 gram.
  • Carbs: 38 grams.
  • Fiber: 2 grams.
  • Folate: 25% of the Reference Daily Intake (RDI)
  • Thiamine: 18% of the RDI.
  • Niacin: 13% of the RDI.

oatmeal

Amount Per 100 grams1 oz, dry, yields (177 g)1 packet, dry, yields (177 g)1 cup, cooked (234 g)1 cup, dry, yields (501 g)1 cup, cooked (234 g)
Calories 158

% Daily Value*
Total Fat 3.2 g4%
Saturated fat 0.5 g2%
Polyunsaturated fat 1 g
Monounsaturated fat 0.9 g
Trans fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg0%
Sodium 115 mg4%
Potassium 143 mg4%
Total Carbohydrate 27 g9%
Dietary fiber 4 g16%
Sugar 1.1 g
Protein 6 g12%

Vitamin A20%Vitamin C0%
Calcium18%Iron77%
Vitamin D0%Vitamin B-635%
Cobalamin0%Magnesium15%

when i first started driving, i was long haul as i had mentioned many times. this made me be able to have the different foods all across this country, other than the usual stuff i had at home.

for instance, i never had any cobbler pie, then my first cobbler was peach, and i wanted more.

grits was always offered at breakfast down south.

so i said to the waitress, "never had them what are they"?

she gave me a free bowl, but then i had to ask, "what do i put in it"? she said most people salt/pepper to taste and add butter...

i sucked that bowl down....!!!

so now come winter time, i do not buy the instant grits, i buy the grits that need to be boiled (as in the movie, My cousin Vinny)

every morning, it's either oatmeal or grits.

grits are as @Duck knows, mashed white corn, which does fill me up, along with my egg mc muffin sandwich.

Grits nutrition facts
  • Calories: 182.
  • Protein: 4 grams.
  • Fat: 1 gram.
  • Carbs: 38 grams.
  • Fiber: 2 grams.
  • Folate: 25% of the Reference Daily Intake (RDI)
  • Thiamine: 18% of the RDI.
  • Niacin: 13% of the RDI.

oatmeal

Amount Per 100 grams1 oz, dry, yields (177 g)1 packet, dry, yields (177 g)1 cup, cooked (234 g)1 cup, dry, yields (501 g)1 cup, cooked (234 g)
Calories 158

% Daily Value*
Total Fat 3.2 g4%
Saturated fat 0.5 g2%
Polyunsaturated fat 1 g
Monounsaturated fat 0.9 g
Trans fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg0%
Sodium 115 mg4%
Potassium 143 mg4%
Total Carbohydrate 27 g9%
Dietary fiber 4 g16%
Sugar 1.1 g
Protein 6 g12%

Vitamin A20%Vitamin C0%
Calcium18%Iron77%
Vitamin D0%Vitamin B-635%
Cobalamin0%Magnesium15%
So that makes you a "grit." Yeah bubba!

I was just looking in the health Dept for a place to post this but you gave me the perfect segue.

Ever tried a nice hot bowl of oats topped with your fav yogurt cup. Mm good

Just had that this morning.
actually, to me, yogurt is like milk, cheeses, ice creams, and i cannot have it.

but years ago, when i did not have this problem, i'd reach for the yogurts more than ice creams.

How'd we get on the subject of grits in the steering wheel holder thread anyway? This is how people with OCD become homicidal. 😬

I buy sale items usually by the bulk....keep a large supply on board.
Keep a rotation system ......oldest use first. I must admit i am extra fond of my comforts (((foods)))....so i take real good care of this stock up department.....keeps my home front running smoothly.

I buy sale items usually by the bulk....keep a large supply on board.
Keep a rotation system ......oldest use first. I must admit i am extra fond of my comforts (((foods)))....so i take real good care of this stock up department.....keeps my home front running smoothly.
yes, i'll do the same, i put my dates on them when bought. but come spring time, if i still have some stuff left, then i will also refer to the stamped "use by dates" as well. on average come spring , there is always about 6 cans of soup still on the shelf. and those would be the cans last bought during the winter time.

frozen food items are year round as you know.

bit nuffin tastes as good as a cup or bowl of soup on a cold day

yes, i'll do the same, i put my dates on them when bought. but come spring time, if i still have some stuff left, then i will also refer to the stamped "use by dates" as well. on average come spring , there is always about 6 cans of soup still on the shelf. and those would be the cans last bought during the winter time.

frozen food items are year round as you know.

bit nuffin tastes as good as a cup or bowl of soup on a cold day
I keep two deep freezers full of variety. Keep my dry goods in ice chest coolers . Canned goods in plastic milk creates and dated. I have frozen milk, breads, eggs, ect. All are stored in dry dark cool place.

Hint.....you can turn cream of wheat into a warm drink....lol.....I am very old school.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread