Wind Energy folks pay attention:

BP leaving the wind industry would be like Swift or Schneider shutting down & selling off all of their trucks. If we had one fewer mega-fleet in the trucking industry, rates would go up, ... at least until the remaining megafleets gobbled up their market share.

Swift or Schneider leaving transportation would reduce rates. And it would be so insignificant it would be practically unnoticeable. With only 14,000 of the 1.5 million power units on the road, Swift's market share is but a drop in the swimming pool. The abandoned freight would be taken mostly by independent owner/operators who haul for brokers....who are the real driving force behind rates.

call customer service at any of the megas and compare their rates to what a broker will offer if you don't believe me.

Swift or Schneider leaving transportation would reduce rates. And it would be so insignificant it would be practically unnoticeable. With only 14,000 of the 1.5 million power units on the road, Swift's market share is but a drop in the swimming pool. The abandoned freight would be taken mostly by independent owner/operators who haul for brokers....who are the real driving force behind rates.

call customer service at any of the megas and compare their rates to what a broker will offer if you don't believe me.
So pretend CH Robinson shut down, ... whatever. Sinister will reach for his AK-47 if we get his thread too far off topic.

That's also kinda the rub, IMO. I went to a commissioning ceremony of one of the projects we did last year, and with the thousands of people working on the site to build the place, and drivers hauling stuff, and people building stuff, yeah, that's a ton of jobs, but once the farm was constructed they said those 150 towers would yeild...

no joke...

17 full time jobs.

I'm sure there'd be more contract jobs, 1099 employees, etc...but that kinda made shake my head a bit.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread