Will CARB Offer DPF Extension For Small Fleet Truckers?

Mike

California regulators are considering relaxing strict rules for smaller trucking fleets to clean up older diesel-powered trucks that are among the state’s worst remaining sources of air pollution, the Los Angeles Times reported.

The changes, being considered this week by the California Air Resources Board, come in response to pressure from small trucking firms and owner-operators who have pleaded for more time to comply with rules to install costly diesel particulate filters or upgrade to cleaner models, the Times reported April 21.

The proposal would push back deadlines by a few years for small fleets, lightly used trucks and those in rural areas with cleaner air. It also would offer other adjustments to assist truck owners, the Times said.

Full Story

I guess a delay would be better than nothing, but what needs to be happening is removal of the retroactive requirement on existing trucks. All you need to do is provide the technology on new trucks and forget this ignorance of retrofitting and requiring people to buy new trucks.

I guess a delay would be better than nothing, but what needs to be happening is removal of the retroactive requirement on existing trucks. All you need to do is provide the technology on new trucks and forget this ignorance of retrofitting and requiring people to buy new trucks.
No, what needs to be happening is the federal government needs to tell California that they don't have the right to regulate vehicles registered in other states, and that they don't have the right to interfere with interstate commerce by disallowing trucks registered in other states from hauling freight in & out of their state if they're not "CARB compliant".

California would be within their rights to require the crap be installed on trucks that are plated in CA though, and to disallow trucks from other states from hauling intra-state freight.

I would even go so far as to say California has the right to say non-compliant trucks can't enter their state.

But they absolutely do NOT have the right to say a compliant truck cannot transfer a load to a non-compliant truck outside their borders.

No, what needs to be happening is the federal government needs to tell California that they don't have the right to regulate vehicles registered in other states, and that they don't have the right to interfere with interstate commerce by disallowing trucks registered in other states from hauling freight in & out of their state if they're not "CARB compliant".

California would be within their rights to require the crap be installed on trucks that are plated in CA though, and to disallow trucks from other states from hauling intra-state freight.

Well, none of that will EVER happen. :)

First off, without realizing it, you kind of endorsed increased Government regulation. If you want the Government to tell California what to do in their own state, then you open the door for the Government to tell the rest of the States what to do. At that point, the Government would quickly adopt CARB's platform and cram it down every state's throat.

Any idea you come up with to try to put a stop to what California is doing will ultimately open up a can of worms somewhere else.

I know, somebody will jump in here at some point with the "boycott California" comment, but that will never happen either.

Something else that most don't realize, or don't ever want to bring up, is the fact that California has to control the air more than other areas of the United States. All that pollution gets trapped between the ocean and the mountains and just never seems to escape. I can remember being a kid in the 70's and seeing a haze everywhere you go. Lots of major cities were fighting bad air back then, but the problem has always been worse For California.

Problem is, they have went overboard with the way they are enforcing things, which is why I brought up the idea of just enforcing the compliance on new vehicles going forward, not existing vehicles. Maybe throw in a minimal emissions test on existing vehicles to get the big polluters off the road as well. To me, that would be fair.

We should all push for cleaner air, but not to the point of insanity. We just never need to relax again to the point of having air like we had a few decades ago.

I would even go so far as to say California has the right to say non-compliant trucks can't enter their state.
From a states' rights standpoint I'd have to agree. But the feds really love their precious interstate commerce clause & I bet if there were some real actual AMERICANS running the federal government they'd use it to tell CARB to go pound sand.
First off, without realizing it, you kind of endorsed increased Government regulation. If you want the Government to tell California what to do in their own state, then you open the door for the Government to tell the rest of the States what to do.
Not really. It's not "feds telling the states what to do in their own state". It's telling them that they cannot act as if they can tell people in other states what to do.
State governments have ZERO authority over what goes on in other states. So why can't people living in the other 49 states buy a decent reliable truck any more?

I disagree.
What needs to happen is a standard to be set and then allow the market to determine the best way to get there.
No stupid DPF or DEF if somebody comes up with a better way.
The gov't IS ABSOLUTELY picking winners and losers.
Every time they authorize a technology they are eliminating 10 better methods, I guarantee it!!

The EPA gave Ca a waiver to set different standards than the rest of the nation.
That's how they get away with their antics.

First off, without realizing it, you kind of endorsed increased Government regulation. If you want the Government to tell California what to do in their own state, then you open the door for the Government to tell the rest of the States what to do. At that point, the Government would quickly adopt CARB's platform and cram it down every state's throat.

That ship sailed YEARS ago.
Ever heard of EPA?
Ever heard of FDA?
Ever heard of DNR?
eccetera, eccetera, eccetera...

it makes no since to saddle the trucking industry with a regulation that absolutely ashures the collapse of tax paying business. and they don't mention that one of the researchers lied about there credentials

Really California can keep their rules and their freight I would not haul freight into or out of California even if I had a new 2015 Truck.

What sucks is that we went ahead and turned in our 2003 and 2004 trucks to get 2010 Internationals and seems like we could have gone a little longer with our trucks before we traded them in, they were making a big fuss that jan1 2014 the regulation was going to be 100% active so we jumped on it and got screwed basically .. I heard there was/is a big class action lawsuit with one of the bigger companies against CARB, did anyone hear bout that??

I heard there was/is a big class action lawsuit with one of the bigger companies against CARB, did anyone hear bout that??
No but everyone who owns a truck should sue. Those who own the newer junk need to sue to recover their losses in additional equipment cost & lost revenue from the down-time. Those who don't own one yet need to sue to recover maintenance costs they're dumping into older trucks to keep them afloat when normally they'd have bought new one by now if it wasn't for the EPA bullshit on them.

No but everyone who owns a truck should sue. Those who own the newer junk need to sue to recover their losses in additional equipment cost & lost revenue from the down-time. Those who don't own one yet need to sue to recover maintenance costs they're dumping into older trucks to keep them afloat when normally they'd have bought new one by now if it wasn't for the EPA bull**** on them.

Yea I probably should because those trucks I traded in were almost paid off, I would have been able to operate about 8 trucks completely paid off for 8 months now instead of trading them in for 6 2010's .. I am going to research and see if there are any class actions I can join

But wait, Why is California considering relaxing restrictions? Is it because a loaf of bread is $5? How kind of you Cali. Stick it man, Dude, Bro!

But wait, Why is California considering relaxing restrictions? Is it because a loaf of bread is $5? How kind of you Cali. Stick it man, Dude, Bro!
just a loaf of bread is 5 bucks seems like everything went up:stare1:. and it's only gonna get worse.

commieforina can pull you over and you must allow the revenue rangers to check to see if your chipped if they ask for it. in a 4wheeler :stare1::thefinger::thefinger::thefinger:

Last edited by a moderator:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread