Why the price difference in Peterbilt models?

Vandr

So looking at a new truck a 2004 379 is $50,000 but a 2009 386 is $30,000. Why in reality is there such a price difference? Besides looks what really constitutes this price difference?

386 is considered a fleet truck and not a hood like a 379.

Cab and sleeper are pretty much the same, but the 386 has an aero hood and set back axle.

So looking at a new truck a 2004 379 is $50,000 but a 2009 386 is $30,000. Why in reality is there such a price difference? Besides looks what really constitutes this price difference?
Many factors.

For one, the 379 is better built. Can is held together with rivets instead of glue.

It holds it's value because it's a better built truck.

The 386 has emissions control equipment on it, which decreases value because of unreliability and expenses associated with the emissions equipment. The 379 being a 2004 only has EGR which is easy to delete.

Other factors are unknown unless you post links to the ads.

Mileage is a big factor, as is overall condition.

It is a better bilt truck! Look at the parts used on the frame and suspension on a Paccar compared to any other MFR out there. way more iron used, thicker solid parts
Then look in the cab and see how solid and tight everything is. No squeaks or rattles going down the road.

I drive an 07' Peterbilt Extended Hood....

and as much as I love the "Red Oval" long hoods, I have to tell you, yes, they are built differently. They are much heavier and solid than the plastic and such on the more "aerodynamically correct' trucks...

BUT!!!! as far as squeaks and rattles.... seriously? That's all I hear unless the stereo is cranked or the Jake is on and the windows are open.

Old School "Classic" builds... ahem... they make a LOT OF NOISE .. and this is one time where I would say that a truck like a Cascadia by comparison is like a mouse compared to a roaring lion.

Let me see if I can find you a video of my Pete.. I was bob-tailing from the shop....

Granted, I wasn't using the clutch and I had no load to make the ride smoother... but "Shake, Rattle and Roll" woulda been the name of that tune....

Look at the parts used on the frame and suspension on a Paccar compared to any other MFR out there. way more iron used, thicker solid parts
Look at the bracket that holds a vertical exhaust stack on a Volvo 780.

If it had a chain hook on the top you could hang the whole truck from it. Yet the pipe it holds weighs like 20 lbs.

:dunno:

comes down to, one is a better built vehicle, one is cheaper. BOTH get the job done, one "may last longer or may be more dependable" than the other.

Also demand for the cat single turbos. 09 was the last year and I do believe they were twin turbo. Then you have the old school vs the new school cosmetics. Then you get into paccar vs Cat. Then you get into how much a dealership has put into the truck too fix things, they want their money back.

The simplest explanation is what I call red oval disease.

A Cummins engine is a Cummins engine regardless of what truck it sits in. Same thing with a CAT engine.

I have not been impressed with any Peterbilt truck that was built after 2001. They all seem to have the same Dash as a 386. And are built like a fleet truck.

Flatout you are paying for brand and model recognition.

@mndriver

I would ask if there is something I could take for the disease, but this is one disease I think I can tolerate a while longer....

My doc did diagnose me though with "Red Oval Disease"... it is very real.

They are still looking for a cure. I mentioned this forum.... we shall see.

The simplest explanation is what I call red oval disease.

A Cummins engine is a Cummins engine regardless of what truck it sits in. Same thing with a CAT engine.

I have not been impressed with any Peterbilt truck that was built after 2001. They all seem to have the same Dash as a 386. And are built like a fleet truck.

Flatout you are paying for brand and model recognition.
CATs stand alone far above Cumm.,Det., Pacc., Volvos.
Although the twin turbos were flawed!

I have had 359s & 379s for many many years, CATs only starting with the 425 to currently a 600 and my next one will be a 386 with a Cummins. Better fuel mileage, and done with being a slave to the chrome and lights.
I don't care about DEF I play the CARB game and my 386 specs are different then fleets.
If the 386 had CATs I would be in Diesel heaven!
or a California jail.

Last edited:
I drive an 07' Peterbilt Extended Hood....

and as much as I love the "Red Oval" long hoods, I have to tell you, yes, they are built differently. They are much heavier and solid than the plastic and such on the more "aerodynamically correct' trucks...

BUT!!!! as far as squeaks and rattles.... seriously? That's all I hear unless the stereo is cranked or the Jake is on and the windows are open.

Old School "Classic" builds... ahem... they make a LOT OF NOISE .. and this is one time where I would say that a truck like a Cascadia by comparison is like a mouse compared to a roaring lion.

Let me see if I can find you a video of my Pete.. I was bob-tailing from the shop....

Granted, I wasn't using the clutch and I had no load to make the ride smoother... but "Shake, Rattle and Roll" woulda been the name of that tune....

Ive been telling folks for years the BEST Rig nowadays is that Cascadia...

Old Freightliner Columbias and FL Sereies shook rattled and the dashes and doors were glued together...

The Cascadia fixed the worst of it...

Only problem with Cascadias is the DPF ...more issues..

Then again Kenworth has issues too

No @rigjockey I call fecees pile on you bevause those KW 680s spent more time in the Shop than any Cascadia I ever had...

That Cascadia was much more comfy and rode 10x smoother than a KW 680

So..:tongueout::tongueout::tongueout::tongueout:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread