Why Energy Drinks are so dangerous.......

DrDaliah

A 50 year old man who went into acute liver failure from drinking energy drinks reminds us that we might want to reach for a piece of broccoli when we need a boost instead.....

How dangerous are energy drinks?

energy drinks reminds us that we might want to reach for a piece of broccoli when we need a boost instead.....

You gotta be shitting me. Shouldn't your husband be stopping you from posting shit like that?

Hey Frederic, I'm tired rebuilding this Hemi engine. Can we stop now. Here Patrick, have some broccoli.

Okay, gonna weigh in, Doc..

The guy with hep C. The energy drinks didn't cause his hep C. A virus did. In most cases of hep C, the disease is the result of poor choices earlier in life, such as risky sexual behavior or intravenous drug use. My friend with the kidney issues got her hep C by sharing needles in the 70s. She's paying the price now. Her kidneys and parts of her brain were destroyed by the antibodies her immune system made to fight the virus. Her liver functions at about 50%.

Anyway, people who make poor choices in their younger years are likely to continue a pattern of poor choices. In the case of the 50 year old liver failure guy, his poor choices included 4 or 5 energy drinks every day for almost a month. I'm relatively healthy and will consume a 5-Hour shot on occasion. It gives me plenty of zing, but then I have a hard time getting to sleep even 8 or 9 hours after drinking one. I couldn't imagine what two would feel like, much less 4 or 5. That's just ridiculous, even for a healthy person.

The guy had existing liver problems and he chose to exacerbate the issue with excessive consumption of a substance with anecdotal links to sudden heart problems in young athletes. With this 50-year-old's existing health problems, he somehow decided high levels of caffeine and various B vitamins were a good idea. He made a very poor choice. Had he moderated his consumption of these products, he would most likely be sitting in his easy chair today griping about his swollen belly and a case of the ****-its.

His story would be a more appropriate case study for moderation than an example of product blame.

But that's just my own uneducated opinion.

I wouldn't mind seeing more about the combination of energy drinks and alcohol. Seems to me, if there's a consumable liquid, somebody somewhere has figured out a way to add alcohol to it. That's not always a good idea. Curious what sorts of changes happened with the mice in that study you cited.

Another current favorite is the combination of alcohol and other drugs, like cocaine, as in the case of the guy who hit my truck. My cousin is a cop, so I asked him what the numbers mean with cocaine intoxication. Like BAC...we have a general idea of the impairment to expect at various levels, but I haven't found anything similar for other drugs. I told my cousin the level of cocaine found in that man's blood and the nearest estimate of his intoxication state my cousin could provide was, "Brother was pretty ****ered up, wasn't he?" Be interesting to see something about that.

I'm agreeing with Dr D too. I get an upset digestive system from those things, and a dull pain in my lower left abdomen.

Years ago I had a military flight surgeon warn a group of us to avoid the coffee and donut thing before flying - that'd be a big shot of caffeine and sugar. Like what you get with an "Energy Drink." He said it shocks the pancreas into putting a big jolt of insulin into your system. It can affect your depth perception, and eye-hand coordination - a couple of things a pilot needs working well for minor stuff like, oh, landing the airplane. Can't be good for truck drivers either.

Too much of certain food or drinks isn't good day after day.I bet these energy drinks have a warning label.

i tried Jolt once, and Red Bull...didn't like the taste of either. i tried those energy shots sold at the counters, didn't care for them either.

i'll take along either an iced coffee, or hot coffee, and sip it along my route, going to my stops. on the way back, i stop at the truck stop for maybe a hot dog and a soda, usually diet, and as caffeine free as possible, ( you know, liquid cardboard tasting) since when i get home, it's off to bed shortly there after.

When I eat 's little kid, to get me to eat broccoli my mom told me to pretend on a giant and I'm eating trees.

I still do that to this day. :rolleyes:

My grandma got me to eat spinach because of the Popeye cartoons &the fact there's a Popeye brand of canned spinach.

I'd be at the grocery store, young enough to ride in the child seat of the cart, asking my mom "Can we get spinach? And broccoli too. We need broccoli" and if there were any other mothers around they'd give us strange looks. She said that more than once, women asked her "ok how the hell did you get a toddler to want spinach?" :confused:

Maybe all that broccoli was why I was such a wild and rambunctious pain in the ass? :rolleyes:

When I eat 's little kid, to get me to eat broccoli my mom told me to pretend on a giant and I'm eating trees.

Maybe all that broccoli was why I was such a wild and rambunctious pain in the ass? :rolleyes:

nah, broccoli just gives you gas outta your ass....

I had one energy drink in my life. I did not like the way it made me feel, Jittery and unfocused. Never again.

Broccoli and cauliflower is my go to snack with ranch dressing or french onion dip. I used to love the cups they have at the truck stops.

Sometimes I get the pre-cut bags of broccoli in bags at the store. Packaged by Manns out of California.
Or broccoli and cheese.
I am no health nut by any means I just have always liked veggies. When I was young I had an allergy to the proteins in some meats, Mostly beef.
So My throat would close, I just could not swallow steak or anything like that. So I ate all the veggies

when a new things come on the market....I not one to buy and try....I got to warm up to such a idea first...
Heard a lot of tales about those energy drinks. Never got around to trying one...Guess I'll just pass but thanks but no thanks.

I've been eating broccoli every night at supper before going to bed. Now I know why I wake up 50 miles further down the road than where I originally stopped.

And all that time, I was blaming it on the ambien.........

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread