Why are the tits longer on a dry van in the receptacle?

That makes my eyeball twitch and I've never even had passenger vehicles on the deck. They make straps that go over the tires or God love him he can find a better place for a chain.

That's a brand new Border Patrol unit, tied through the aluminum wheels with chain. Everything is wrong with that. Well, except the 4 point tiedown.
They make special straps to go in rims I believe, or you coulda used a chain protector to go around the rim.

I’m just teasing you, it goes against my professionalism to do things like that.

On my little trailer I have small T hooks that fit in the slot in the frame. Don’t scratch the paint don’t wreck the rims. Also I have large J hooks to grab an axle or control arm. Lots of options, if you want to spend the money to do stuff right

They make special straps to go in rims I believe, or you coulda used a chain protector to go around the rim.

I’m just teasing you, it goes against my professionalism to do things like that.

On my little trailer I have small T hooks that fit in the slot in the frame. Don’t scratch the paint don’t wreck the rims. Also I have large J hooks to grab an axle or control arm. Lots of options, if you want to spend the money to do stuff right
T or R hooks are the right way to chain it. As much as I detest basket straps, even those are a better option than anything through the wheel. Ain't no way to not scuff them

T or R hooks are the right way to chain it. As much as I detest basket straps, even those are a better option than anything through the wheel. Ain't no way to not scuff them
I've never seen a scuff on a wheel from a strap with a protector on it. Some pretty high end cars are tied down that way. Basket's gonna touch the wheel anyway on some cars since they sometimes stick out a little or are flush with the tire. If you have pics of scuffs caused by straps I'd like to see 'em. Not saying it hasn't happened. Just don't see how it would. They'd never hold up to a dirt road if a strap can etch them. You can always put a cloth in between if it really bothers you.

Aren't you gonna scratch the frame paint using hooks in it?

That chain though...yeah no.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've never seen a scuff on a wheel from a strap with a protector on it. Some pretty high end cars are tied down that way. Basket's gonna touch the wheel anyway on some cars since they sometimes stick out a little or are flush with the tire. If you have pics of scuffs caused by straps I'd like to see 'em. Not saying it hasn't happened. Just don't see how it would. They'd never hold up to a dirt road if a strap can etch them. You can always put a cloth in between if it really bothers you.

Aren't you gonna scratch the frame paint using hooks in it?

That chain though...yeah no.
Frame paint is very hard, and the hooks are nice and rounded on the edges .

And yeah, if you have the straps with the fancy protectors (and they're keep clean, which ain't happening in an open deck,) the most you'll get is minor scuffing of the wheel coating that a quick pass with compound would take care of. Most guys I've seen do through the wheel are just using the standard coarse straps, and you might as well wrap the straps with sandpaper if you do that.

Have you ever used this style T hook? I’ve heard John Deere used to give these out, but I can’t confirm that first hand

That’s the style T hook I’m used to using, works very nicely. BA Towing products is my go to for this stuff.

That's the carhauler style, although our clusters would have 4 hooks on 2 rings. (grab, T, R, J).
Yup, I know the clusters you’re talking about, although that one doesn’t have a grab hook

I had some i stole from the little trailer and was using them for flatbed work. The extra cluster would frustrate me when I just needed to use a grab hook on a stake pocket. So they got taken off the big horse and put back on the little trailer.

It’s hard to have everything you want without getting into single purpose stuff

Frame paint is very hard, and the hooks are nice and rounded on the edges .

And yeah, if you have the straps with the fancy protectors (and they're keep clean, which ain't happening in an open deck,) the most you'll get is minor scuffing of the wheel coating that a quick pass with compound would take care of. Most guys I've seen do through the wheel are just using the standard coarse straps, and you might as well wrap the straps with sandpaper if you do that.
I posted this before, but a shipper gave me a small roll of this stuff last year.

If I HAD to rim hook a vehicle with a chain, I’d use this stuff as a chain protector. I still want to find some used fire hose to cut up into three foot lengths, but this stuff should work for now

Even on farm equipment I try to avoid paint damage. You and I both know a month after the farmer takes it home what it’s gonna look like, yet they want to see shiny new paint on the sales floor

View attachment 48773
I posted this before, but a shipper gave me a small roll of this stuff last year.

If I HAD to rim hook a vehicle with a chain, I’d use this stuff as a chain protector. I still want to find some used fire hose to cut up into three foot lengths, but this stuff should work for now

Even on farm equipment I try to avoid paint damage. You and I both know a month after the farmer takes it home what it’s gonna look like, yet they want to see shiny new paint on the sales floor
Well YEAH.

You ever haul new machines to a dealer?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread