Why are new people coming into Trucking??

Wyatt Earp

This question is for all the people here that are just now coming into the trucking industry.

Why are you coming into the trucking industry now??? I would like to see honesty in any replies.

The industry is the worst i have seen in 30 years but yet i see and hear of more people coming into this industry, and people are buying trucks.(used trucks to become Owner Operators)

Like i said this is the worst i have seen this industry in 30 yrs and was wondering why more people are coming into Trucking??

I think people are taking up driving thinking its easy money !!!!
I wonder how many people are leaving the industry .
You'll always have someone thinking that they can buy a truck and run bent just to make a little bit more than the next guy.

I think people are taking up driving thinking its easy money !!!!
I wonder how many people are leaving the industry .
You'll always have someone thinking that they can buy a truck and run bent just to make a little bit more than the next guy.

According to OOIDA in May, I read a statement that we have lost somewhere in the neighborhood of 42,000 trucks (cancelled registrations) since January. That should tell everyone something right there.

Aparrently some other people must be being told otherwise or why else would you come to work in an industry that is below a minimum wage job for all the work you do. People are coming here expecting to make money but with all the restrictions they are only hurting the Industry, by coming out here and working for the rates of $.40 per mile and less

I think a lot of the new people to the industry are getting into it with no knowledge of the industry. They simply don't know how bad it is, what is involved, and what companies to avoid. How do you think Swift and JB Hunt keep filling their training schools. People just don't know any better. They see truck driving as an easy job that pays well and anybody can do it. All they know is it beats working at Taco Bell so they sign the dotted line.

As for why anybody would become an owner operator right now. Its a bad time. But there is still the desire to pursue the american dream.

Ditto What He Said...

I think a lot of the new people to the industry are getting into it with no knowledge of the industry. They simply don't know how bad it is, what is involved, and what companies to avoid. How do you think Swift and JB Hunt keep filling their training schools. People just don't know any better. They see truck driving as an easy job that pays well and anybody can do it. All they know is it beats working at Taco Bell so they sign the dotted line.

As for why anybody would become an owner operator right now. Its a bad time. But there is still the desire to pursue the american dream.

It is the perfect storm. You have a nOOb who is faced with spending forever, doing nothing, for little or no pay, in the same ten square mile radius. He sees big shiny trucks roaring through his community on their way to a big adventure over the horizon, and thinks, "sigh, that looks like more fun than I'm having." Soon the nOOb is talking to the unscrupulous truck salesman, or, the talented recruiter. Either one, maybe both of them, get their hooks in deep, and off the nOOb goes, never realizing what has just occurred until it's a done deal. :wtf:

Some make it, some don't. They never know until they try.

2xR, glad to be a veteran... :D

Great advertising. This gets people into the trucking school classes,and into the seats of trucks.

These people generally don't know how screwed up this industry is, and how close every company out there is to folding up shop.

This is not what i am trying to find out. I believe that many are coming into this industry due to the fact that they are losing their homes and cars and can go over the road and live in the truck to save them money. I was just trying to find out if that was actually the reason people are coming into the industry.

I have seen many husband & wife teams coming in and a few have told me thats why they are doing this. That is a shame that they feel they have to do things like that to survive.

But at the same time, by doing that keeps rates from going up due to the fact that they get minimum wage and teams get half the money that a single gets and they don't even realize it. Thats why there are more companies out there wanting teams.

This is not what i am trying to find out. I believe that many are coming into this industry due to the fact that they are losing their homes and cars and can go over the road and live in the truck to save them money. I was just trying to find out if that was actually the reason people are coming into the industry.

I have seen many husband & wife teams coming in and a few have told me thats why they are doing this. That is a shame that they feel they have to do things like that to survive.

But at the same time, by doing that keeps rates from going up due to the fact that they get minimum wage and teams get half the money that a single gets and they don't even realize it. Thats why there are more companies out there wanting teams.

Not saying that doesn't happen as I am sure it has. But on any kind of drastic level, that Im not so sure of. If someone has lost their home and car they would have had a way to fund those things originaly. So then the question is how did they lose those means. Disability is out since if they can't physicly maintain a regular job, chances of them being able to drive a truck are pretty low. So suppose they got laid off. While the job market is tight, employment can be had. It may not allow you to live in the same comfort you once did. But even just finding an apartment or mobile home to rent. Either one would beat calling the sleeper of a truck a permanent home. But supposing people got into the industry so they could in fact live in the truck. They obviously had no desire to be in the industry prior to falling on hard times. So for somebody like that how long do you think having dinner on the bottom bunk of a Freightliner every night is gonna last? They are gonna get out of that truck and the industry as fast as they can.

So basicly what Im saying is I personaly think that for every person or couple who comes into the industry for those reasons. Another is getting out of it and not looking back. So it kinda evens out. Just my opinion though. :)

Not saying that doesn't happen as I am sure it has. But on any kind of drastic level, that Im not so sure of. If someone has lost their home and car they would have had a way to fund those things originaly. So then the question is how did they lose those means. Disability is out since if they can't physicly maintain a regular job, chances of them being able to drive a truck are pretty low. So suppose they got laid off. While the job market is tight, employment can be had. It may not allow you to live in the same comfort you once did. But even just finding an apartment or mobile home to rent. Either one would beat calling the sleeper of a truck a permanent home. But supposing people got into the industry so they could in fact live in the truck. They obviously had no desire to be in the industry prior to falling on hard times. So for somebody like that how long do you think having dinner on the bottom bunk of a Freightliner every night is gonna last? They are gonna get out of that truck and the industry as fast as they can.

So basicly what Im saying is I personaly think that for every person or couple who comes into the industry for those reasons. Another is getting out of it and not looking back. So it kinda evens out. Just my opinion though. :)

Good Post!!!

But i have talked to 4 teams and they told me the reason they came in as team is, they lost their job and couldn't make it any other way, so they decided to drive truck. This is a poor way to have to live. And as a team they are going to make $.45 per mile and it is split between them. Just don't see how anyone can survive on a rate like that. If I had to work for someone again I wouldn't be able to work for less than $.50 per mile based on 30 years in the industry. And no one is paying that for a driver with my stats. Pretty sad isn't it.

Yes Wyatt, I too fail to comprehend the real reasons there are so many People entering this faltering Industry regardless of their reasoning(s).
If they're thinking (which some are not) that they can Buy a Truck, make the Payments AND have enough remaining after Insurance, Fuel, Repairs, etc.. to live on comfortably, then they must be temporarily Financially Independent because they'll soon enough be Financially Insolvent.

There's an old saying of:
"Yes you can make a small Fortune in Trucking, IF you begin with a LARGE ONE"!!

my personal reason

i can only tell you my personal reason for entering the trucking field at this time is the faultering econemy. i am an auto mechanic by trade and as the recient failing econemy has left me unemployed numerous times over the past few years i am looking for something a little more stable. if you read any local newspaper on sundays the majority of jobs offered are for truck drivers and medical. so no matter how bad the econemy gets their will always be a demand for CDL drivers

i can only tell you my personal reason for entering the trucking field at this time is the faultering econemy. i am an auto mechanic by trade and as the recient failing econemy has left me unemployed numerous times over the past few years i am looking for something a little more stable. if you read any local newspaper on sundays the majority of jobs offered are for truck drivers and medical. so no matter how bad the econemy gets their will always be a demand for CDL drivers

Yes there is, (don't take this personally) but by all the people coming into the trucking industry, you people are being taking advantage of. you are coming in and working for companies that are going to pay you below min wage and you just don't know what you are getting into.

The main problem with this industry right now (besides high Fuel) is the big companies hiring people like you (no offense), paying you a real low rate, and keeping the rates lower and putting the smaller companies out of business.

i understand your side of it, but when you are unemployed and have no income you look for ways to make ends meet. it is the lesser of two evils. and not to sound cold hearted but at this point in time i have to worry about me and my family not the small businesses that the bigger ones are putting out of business

i understand your side of it, but when you are unemployed and have no income you look for ways to make ends meet. it is the lesser of two evils. and not to sound cold hearted but at this point in time i have to worry about me and my family not the small businesses that the bigger ones are putting out of business
Promise what they may, but don't count on it. You are nothing more then a number,that can be replaced at any time.And if you don't honor your contract they will hound you till the end of time.
something else you need to look at, And this is truth.Alot tell you about home time that does not happen, ur coming out of a 5 day 9-5 week, How many Holiday's and Birthday's are you willing to give up. Or your family understand when you don't make it home.
one year we had a 3 day hold on Christmas cause cabbage was shut down.And that was in our own truck. So when he was out he did call his shots, but can't fight mother nature.
another thing, most of us have friends and all are in trucking. alot of marriage's don't survive, unless u and your family know it alot of questions pop up.
befor u do anything take a good look at what ur putting at risk for a chance.
And don't say we talked about it. because all the talk in the world can't make it what it is.

Do you understand that you will not make a decent wage and will give up more than you will actually make. I have been in the industry for 30+ years and i just cannot believe the B/S that is going on with drivers today, and so many companies taking advantage of new drivers. THIS IS THE WORST THIS INDUSTRY HAS BEEN SINCE THE 70's

Luna & Wyatt I agree with you both......please take a long look at what you are about to get yourself and your family into before you take the jump and wind up making a big mistake. I too have been in this industry for a long time (45+yrs) and have pretty much seen it go downhill steadily for all of the past 25yrs. to the very sorry state it is in today. I have seen all the ups and downs, been through divorce, missed my kids growing up, missed holidays & vacations, and ruined my health. If you feel you have to get into this industry, try your best to get a local job driving right around your area where you will be able to be home, if not every night, at least most nights. Get a feel of it first and just get your feet wet before you jump in head first. I wish you the best of luck in whichever way you choose to go. Have An Awesome Day:tiphat:

Luna & Wyatt I agree with you both......please take a long look at what you are about to get yourself and your family into before you take the jump and wind up making a big mistake. I too have been in this industry for a long time (45+yrs) and have pretty much seen it go downhill steadily for all of the past 25yrs. to the very sorry state it is in today. I have seen all the ups and downs, been through divorce, missed my kids growing up, missed holidays & vacations, and ruined my health. If you feel you have to get into this industry, try your best to get a local job driving right around your area where you will be able to be home, if not every night, at least most nights. Get a feel of it first and just get your feet wet before you jump in head first. I wish you the best of luck in whichever way you choose to go. Have An Awesome Day:tiphat:

Couldn't have said it any better.

I wouldn't recommend this industry to my worst enemy right now.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread